Need advice on longer flights

Reaction score
I have only had the guts to push my P3A out to 2827 feet. I live in North Georgia, USA so it can be hilly here. I have been keeping it in sight and raising the altitude as it is about to dip below the tree line over and over so as to keep it in sight, at least for a while.

Do I need to doing this on further and further flights? I did lose connection and had my first gut-wrenching RTH at only about 1800 feet but it was well below a very dense forest area.

Going to start trying to get it out further and further. Any tips or advice?

I have been keeping it in sight and raising the altitude as it is about to dip below the tree line over and over so as to keep it in sight, at least for a while.
The signal will be reduced and/or completely blocked when trees are between the Phantom and remote controller. If distance is your goal, then you'll want to keep a clear line of sight for the entire flight.

If you search distance you'll find tons of good advice on how to improve your range. Be patient and it will come.

Reactions: Digdat0
Adding the 32 channel mod and a WindSurfer Antenna Enhancer are the two very good additions even if you are a reserved type person that don't like changing things. The channel mod is free only taking 5 minutes to install, and the other will cost between $15-$20.

Btw, most don't know this, but when we 1st got the P3P's in May 2015, the 32 channel was part of the Pilot App. And the windsurfer's make up for flight distance we also had at the start.

I have only had the guts to push my P3A out to 2827 feet. I live in North Georgia, USA so it can be hilly here. I have been keeping it in sight and raising the altitude as it is about to dip below the tree line over and over so as to keep it in sight, at least for a while.

Do I need to doing this on further and further flights? I did lose connection and had my first gut-wrenching RTH at only about 1800 feet but it was well below a very dense forest area.

Going to start trying to get it out further and further. Any tips or advice?
Make sure you understand how RTH works and set your RTH altitude accordingly. Don't want it to crash into something back. Be more conservative if you do not have the wind at your back coming home. I try to always go into the wind going out, but that may not always be possible if you are trying to go to someplace specific.

Adding the 32 channel mod and a WindSurfer Antenna Enhancer are the two very good additions even if you are a reserved type person that don't like changing things. The channel mod is free only taking 5 minutes to install, and the other will cost between $15-$20.

Btw, most don't know this, but when we 1st got the P3P's in May 2015, the 32 channel was part of the Pilot App. And the windsurfer's make up for flight distance we also had at the start.
Is there any downside to the 32 channel mod? Seems there is always a give and take.

Is there any downside to the 32 channel mod? Seems there is always a give and take.

The only downside is not adding it. After installing it, use it on channel 32. This mod alone will help increase distance to your flights. Also, high altitudes will help a lot with further flights.

Don't be afraid to push through interference... farther you go it will appear more often that you reach your limit, be patient and keep on forward and you will regain signal back , you should be easily able to do 10000ft it gets quite nerve wrecking when you lose you lightbridge and control, I remember my first time lol I could hear my heart pounding lol
RTH works very well

Don't be afraid to push through interference... farther you go it will appear more often that you reach your limit, be patient and keep on forward and you will regain signal back , you should be easily able to do 10000ft it gets quite nerve wrecking when you lose you lightbridge and control, I remember my first time lol I could hear my heart pounding lol
RTH works very well

RTH work very well until you smack into a low flying crop duster or medivac. You should not be flying that far without visual observation.

Reactions: t2adze
Remember when we were amping up our CB radios? Roger that good buddy. I was always looking over my shoulder; knew the FCC had to be close. And how did those boomers out in the desert manage to bleed 4 channels wide and step all over me. Where was the FCC when you really needed them? I'll bet Wolfman Jack knew.

NoCo Drones

I have a Phantom 3 standard and was able to fly up to 8,200 ft in an open field. I used a parabolic range extender bought from Amazon for $15.99

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic