ND Filters

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a set of ND filters for my P4. I remember reading that some brands may not fit the gimbal lock bracket. Does anyone know which brand/model filters would work with the bracket?

Thanks in advance!
Geo

You can't install the gimbal lock bracket with the Polar Pro filters installed. They're a little too big. I have to remove the filter before I can snap on the bracket..

You can't install the gimbal lock bracket with the Polar Pro filters installed. They're a little too big. I have to remove the filter before I can snap on the bracket..
Good to know. It's not a deal beaker to be compatible with the bracket, but if there are filters that are, I would like to know which ones.

Geo

I just bought the ND16 , but you can do a search on eBay to see if they're others but the ND16 has worked perfect for me in daylight...

Hello,

DJI themselves make ND filters that fit after removing the current lens. Straight from Amazon.

So I bought the DJI ND8 and ND16 filters. Today I put the ND16 on, set the shutter to 120 (frame rate 60) and ISO to 100. EV was around -.5 to -.7. Ran a test and to my surprise the focus was terrible. No matter how I set things, a very light blurring across the frame. I finally took the ND filter off and the original one on. Focus was back! Anyone else see this? Is it something I'm doing? The filter looks perfectly clean.

Geo

image.jpeg
So I bought the DJI ND8 and ND16 filters. Today I put the ND16 on, set the shutter to 120 (frame rate 60) and ISO to 100. EV was around -.5 to -.7. Ran a test and to my surprise the focus was terrible. No matter how I set things, a very light blurring across the frame. I finally took the ND filter off and the original one on. Focus was back! Anyone else see this? Is it something I'm doing? The filter looks perfectly clean.

Geo
Never seen that , on my P4 the filter just got rid of overexposure and sharpened up the picture but I mainly leave the settings on auto...

Don't worry about if the fit with the bracket on. Not that big of a deal
Well these seem like nicely made products and weren't cheap. However, there is a big difference in focus even without making any other changes with settings. The overall look of the video was nice and supposedly being able to lower shutter speed is an improvement. Haven't experienced that yet.

I'll look at it again and also try the ND8. Maybe there's a problem with this filter.

Geo

Well these seem like nicely made products and weren't cheap. However, there is a big difference in focus even without making any other changes with settings. The overall look of the video was nice and supposedly being able to lower shutter speed is an improvement. Haven't experienced that yet.

I'll look at it again and also try the ND8. Maybe there's a problem with this filter.

Geo

Have you tried automatic settings with nd filter on?
I use to have good results with p4 and dji nd8 for e.g.

While you are suspecting poor focus as the issue while using the filter it might be focus isn’t the culprit. You have said your exposure value was close to 3/4 of a stop below the metered EV0 as depicted in the GO app. This is more likely to be your issue. The footage is underexposed and you are perceiving this to be poor focus.

Reactions: Technical Bob
as above, this is why there are different filters,
the best way I have found to get the correct filter is if in your camera settings if you flick on to manual the EV will give you a figure + or -, if it is say + 2 then you require a ND2 filter, if is was 4 or 6 . . you get the idea, just slapping a 16 on and saying it will do isnt going to get you the best results,
once you have powered off the drone and fit the correct filter do the same test, once the EV is pretty close to 0 just stick it back in Auto and have fun, it just stops the camera having to do so much more work then just record the image.

as above, this is why there are different filters,
the best way I have found to get the correct filter is if in your camera settings if you flick on to manual the EV will give you a figure + or -, if it is say + 2 then you require a ND2 filter, if is was 4 or 6 . . you get the idea, just slapping a 16 on and saying it will do isnt going to get you the best results,
once you have powered off the drone and fit the correct filter do the same test, once the EV is pretty close to 0 just stick it back in Auto and have fun, it just stops the camera having to do so much more work then just record the image.
If the EV was +2 over you would need and ND4, +3 would be ND8, get the idea?

What extra work do you yhink you are saving the camera?

Reactions: SoundByte

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl