Nazareth, Pa Airspace Wow

Reaction score
I'm at a loss here, not sure what to do
I plan to get a Phantom 4 Pro and a Mavic Pro soon.
According to B4UFly app I'm surrounded by restricted airspace galore

I don't know what I am going to do here, I don't plan to use my drones to make money till I am used to them and have enough experience.

Can I still fly as long as I don't go too high or am I gonna have to leave the town every time I want to fly ? I don't have a car so that's not a option.

Please help. Screenshots are attached.

Screenshot_20170813-145205.png Screenshot_20170813-145224.png

Hello. Welcome. B4UFly app is notoriously problematic. I would advise learn to use actual sectional maps like with Skyvector.com or use AirMap app. Allentown KABE is class C so that's a no go but other than that the rest is workable if flying commercial 107 or if your hobbyist notification of to those airports within 5 miles. Of course right NOW you are in a TFR (temporary flight restriction) so your grounded either way.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Just to follow up on what Philsmith said. You can find info on Airmap here (AirMap.io) and can check out the current lot of temporary flight restrictions here (Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's). As far as Class C airspace is concerned, doesn't affect you if you are a hobby flier. However, you do have to call all of those airports/heliports that are within 5 miles of your flight area. And, remember, if the airport has a control tower you have to contact both airport management and the tower. Yes, it can be a pain and you may not be able to find a god number for some small private airfields or for some of the heliports, but you have to make the effort. I document any calls I make as well as any airfields where no number could be found. And finally, remember that as a hobby flier, you are 'notifying' airports, not 'asking for permission', but if the airport has a good reason for asking you not to fly, you could be considered to be flying recklessly if you do.

Reactions: BigAl07
I want to add this tidbit of info as well:

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

Here's a good starting point for you to do a little research:
Know Before You Fly

Holy cow, so I will need to try and call all the heliports and airports that are close to me.

It's gonna be a year or so before I can afford my drones, so glad I came here and asked questions, I have alot of research to do lol.

I was looking at the Part 107 training stuff, some of the stuff doesnt make sence I mean why do I need to know about aircraft frequencies etc? Or we as drone pilots considerd real pilots like if I flew a Cessna? I mean there is alot of stuff I saw that a drone operator would really not need to know unless im flying a Cessna. Im just confused im learning lol.

Yes it can be challenge. Having a 107 is labeled by the FAA as a "remote pilot" and thus a pilot needs to know the environment of where he will be operating. That includes how changes in aerodynamics effect your quad (or aircraft) understanding airspace and much more. It is pretty serious stuff but having the knowledge and experience makes everyone safer and more professional.

I read here in the forum that you don't necessarily need to call them, you can also email them if they have email addresses and notify them of your intentions and where you will be flying. Remember, like the guys said before me... You are not asking for permission, just notifying them that you will be flying your drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic