Naza M FW 4.00 released

Excellent post Martcerv, as a newbie I really appreciate people like you. So far I haven't dare update my firmware, as I'm not really sure about how you do all the other things like the default parameters etc. Now what would be a really great thing, would be if someone did a video on the complete guide through the installation of the firmware, default parameters and calibration etc! DJI, come on let's have a tutorial for this please.

Anyway thanks Martcerv for your excellent post.

Fantastic work as always Martcerv!! A brave man but that is what everyone needed!

I noticed in the new NAZA M Quick Start it said this...

1 - Flight Limits works when the control mode is GPS or ATTI. mode.
2 - If the aircraft flies out of the limits, only Throttle and Rudder commands will be available. Then the aircraft will fly back towards the Home point. Once the aircraft flies back within the range, the Transmitter will regain all the control.
3 - The Failsafe and the Ground Station operations are not restricted to the Flight Limits

Makes sense on why you orginally felt you had little to no control until it came back in the box.

I for one would love to use this feature to keep at a safe height (too many low flying helicopters around my way for my liking).

So do I or don't I.... :lol:

martcerv said:
Well worth checking this video to see how all the new features work, I should have watched it before my first test flight but figured Id just read any info they have but there is more in the video then there is written that I saw. There was no v4.0 firmware manual up at the time I updated mine, main thing to watch is the 10m test how you let go of the sticks and it will come back before you can regain control.

I think my biggest gripe with DJI is communication/documentation - how did you know to look for a video?

Why on earth isn't there a post on their FB page saying "look - new firmware. Watch this video to find out how it works" ??

Thanks for taking one ofr the team and being a rational guinea pig!

Thanks Martcerv for the info.
I updated mine too and I found one good thing so far. Before whenever I tried to do an advanced calibration it would start then about 15 seconds in, would give me the imu too hot warning. Before I had to unplug the usb, unplug the battery wait 5 minutes then plug it all back in and it would sort of finish..even though I was never sure if it actually had.
Now with the new firmware...it is still giving me the warning but now I can just click ok and it messes around..the progress bar goes up a bit then back to about 10 percent then climbs up again..and finally finishes. Still not sure if it really has done a proper calibration or just messed itself up but at least I don't have to mess around too much now. :lol:
I will have to try some of the other stuff later.

Adoa said:
Thanks Martcerv for the info.
I updated mine too and I found one good thing so far. Before whenever I tried to do an advanced calibration it would start then about 15 seconds in, would give me the imu too hot warning. Before I had to unplug the usb, unplug the battery wait 5 minutes then plug it all back in and it would sort of finish..even though I was never sure if it actually had.
Now with the new firmware...it is still giving me the warning but now I can just click ok and it messes around..the progress bar goes up a bit then back to about 10 percent then climbs up again..and finally finishes. Still not sure if it really has done a proper calibration or just messed itself up but at least I don't have to mess around too much now. :lol:
I will have to try some of the other stuff later.

I always do a second calibration after letting it rest for 10 minutes if I get that warning, I noticed it only pops up once this time unlike the last firmware. But I prefer to be a little safer with these calibrations and if you leave it off for 10 minutes and quickly power on and connect the USB you should be able to do the calibration with no popup warning. Im sure there is some reason why this warning comes up so I think its best to be safe just in case.

I upgraded to 4.0 and i am having serious issues but not 100% sure it's related to the update.

*Installed new upgrade board
*Installed Zen Muse H3-2D

Installed 4.0 firmware

I have yet to even think about flying the Phantom right now but while trying to run thru various test's..i had one motor spin up all by itself....i know there is now a feature in the new assistant that allows you to test each motor one at a time but i was not in the assistant when this happened. It was not even connected to my computer.

Also the calibration on the Zen is wacky and i'm sure this is a calibration issue but i'm a high level techie by profession and i have been at this for well over 4 hours now (combined)

i had to step away from the Phantom for a bit and will get back at it this afternoon.

martcerv said:
Took another test flight, set at 10x10m and found that you need to let go of the sticks and let it come back inside the distance to regain control. Anyone setting limits with this new firmware I suggest set it at 10x10m and have a test fly just to get used to the new behavior.

Apparently it just takes a little longer for TX control to resume once the Phantom has flown itself back within range. I suppose this makes sense if you think about how RTH works (as an analogy) -- it doesn't immediately fly back home, but it hovers 15 seconds before starting back and 15 seconds before landing. There are probably some similar delays built into the Flight Limits functionality as well.

Interesting you are seeing the limits enforced in Manual mode, though. That's clearly a bug if true (or the manual is wrong).

MrMediaGuy said:
Apparently it just takes a little longer for TX control to resume once the Phantom has flown itself back within range. I suppose this makes sense if you think about how RTH works (as an analogy) -- it doesn't immediately fly back home, but it hovers 15 seconds before starting back and 15 seconds before landing. There are probably some similar delays built into the Flight Limits functionality as well.

Interesting you are seeing the limits enforced in Manual mode, though. That's clearly a bug if true (or the manual is wrong).

The manual mode one was rather odd, I do have it on video but it was already pretty much dark. It was probably just the altitude limit in manual mode that was kicking in. When I had it at 30m radius and altitude I flew away fine in manual mode to 200m away but I was likely under 30m altitude. When I tried it with 10m it was like throttle was cutting out to keep it below the altitude limit and it was rather odd. I did double check and tried it a few times and it was always the same, I will retry tomorrow and have a look but will put up a little video showing what it was doing.

MrMediaGuy said:
martcerv said:
Took another test flight, set at 10x10m and found that you need to let go of the sticks and let it come back inside the distance to regain control. Anyone setting limits with this new firmware I suggest set it at 10x10m and have a test fly just to get used to the new behavior.

I think this makes sense. Last thing you want is for it to return control while you have the stick off center and have it suddenly lunge in that direction.

Great posts. Did that screenshot really say the default was 2000m up and radius? Really? Should be more like 300m until you are accomplished enough to change the settings.

Here is a little video showing the manual mode behavior which I assume is the altitude limit applying to manual mode also. The distance limit seems to be ignored but I wanted to go out over those trees the phantom wouldn't climb. You can hear the throttle cutting in and out but I was steady on throttle and the second attempt I tried full throttle and it still wouldn't climb. As you can see I have clearly gone out of the 10m radius here as it was set at 10m on both alt and distance.

The video is no award winner for cinematography but just kind of shows the point, you can also see me click back into atti mode and let go of the sticks where it comes back on its own into the 10m radius. Both onboard videos and one on my controller are shown the throttle cut sound is actually clearer from the ground then it was on the onboard shot.

When the LED goes off its in manual mode and each time I flicked back to atti to test it returning back on its own.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjkGGLetiJE[/youtube]

Video will be up in 20 minutes from now.

Roadkilt said:
Great posts. Did that screenshot really say the default was 2000m up and radius? Really? Should be more like 300m until you are accomplished enough to change the settings.

Default is 2000m on both I guess its just to not upset people thinking they are limited too much, users can always set to safe limits themselves within their local regulations or where they are comfortable at least. Even IOC is off by default and you need to set the 3rd mode switch yourself to Failsafe or manual as this defaults to ATTI mode.

Id like to see someone with the bluetooth module try out the waypoint function.

So you do need a Naza M V2 for this or is the more widely available Red Naxa M V1 upgradable to FW 4.0 as well?

The Editor said:
As we have come to expect from DJI now....... IT DOESN'T WORK !

The link in the assist 2.18 software still points to v3.16 firmware (as usual)

Do they ever learn?

if you want to bash DJI, why are you in "Phantompilot" forum. Phantom is DJI product, DJI is leader and you have to accept it

I think the height and distance restriction settings, are probably one of the best things you could have for a beginner. The beginner doesn't want the phantom getting away from them, so being able to set a very close maximum limit it can fly out to, would help them very much. Sadly most newbies will be put off installing the new firmware, due to the difficult nature of updating the firmware. That's a great shame. :cry:

Just id a quick testrun of the 4.0 FW, and wow; my Phantom now seems to fly much smoother, especially ascend is different from before i think.

Upgrading went without any problems at all too, when calibrating I got the 5 min too hot warning but hust pressed OK and it calibrated to the end with no further warnings.

Can anyone comment on whether upgrading to 4.00 was easier than all the hiccups going to 3.16? So far I have not heard stories of flashing red/yellow, inability to calibrate compass, GPS not being recognized, etc.

I didn't have problems going to 3.16, but only because I followed the very specific steps that people figured out worked, including a couple of pluggings and unpluggings, multiple compass dances, downloading the default parameters, and I think some ritual involving a dead chicken.

Is 4.00 an easier upgrade?

For what it's worth my phantom upgraded fw to v4 using naza 2.18 with no issues.
After the update I selected restore defaults under tools then downloaded from the same dji page as the firmware, the configuration parameters and then imported them using " Import Parameters " again on the tools page.
Also on the tools page clicked advanced on the imu area and clicked on advanced calibration and let it go until I got a green tick (maybe 5 Minutes.
Then enable ioc on the under the IOC tab
Took it outside to calibrate the compass by following the directions in the dji compass calibration video. Had to do that twice before I got a steady slow flashing green
Took the opportunity to restrict distance to 75 meters and height of 50 meters ( I'm an old fart and can't run as fast or as far anymore)

nabilriaz said:
The Editor said:
As we have come to expect from DJI now....... IT DOESN'T WORK !

The link in the assist 2.18 software still points to v3.16 firmware (as usual)

Do they ever learn?

if you want to bash DJI, why are you in "Phantompilot" forum. Phantom is DJI product, DJI is leader and you have to accept it

Are you kidding me? DJI is a leader and we have to accept it? Do you work for DJI or something?

We've all paid our hard-earned money for their product. If there are problems with it, we absolutely have every right to complain and ***** and hopefully come up with resolutions from our collective experience since support from DJI seems to be largely non-existant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik