National park clearance

Reaction score
Fellow Pilots and aspiring photographers, I would like to know if anyone has been successful in gaining legal clearance to fly and film in national parks?

Try it. It varies depending on the locale and the area's supervisor, and sundry other agencies who also get into the mix if they have some agreement with them. Whole process is surprising.

By the time you start getting all the paperwork, liability insurance for about $4-$5 million with the ACORD insurance forms signed over to them, sundry permits, and road encroachment release from whomever built the road in the park (They weren't built or maintained by the Park itself, but likely the local or county Roads or State Roads Dept.) and maintains it for you to park on, the local or county business license for the day, a monitor or ranger that will be assigned to you for ~$85-$110/hr. and weekdays only, possibility of needing a porta-potty hauled in and pumped out too depending on how many involved, and you'll learn something about dealing with the feds. I did it once with the U.S. Forest Service and it ran up to $2,300 for three hours, and the biggest rip off was the county roads department "Roads Encroachment Fee" for parking in a paved parking pullout for three hours which had to be signed off by the Forest Service before they'd sign off on their $230 non-refundable permit which was the cheapest part, next to a one-day business license for that county. Anyone else could park there for a $5 Adventure Pass, but if you want a permit, it's $1,600 for three hours to park in the same $5 spot (I kept their Roads Dept. encroachment parking approval paperwork as it is sort of humorous to look at it all!). It's a total wallet-buster and you'll get the impression they don't want you there flying your drone too, unless you pay through the nose for the privilege.

There is no set fee once the process starts, and it climbs fast from their published rates which you might find on some of their websites if others are part of the permit. It may be non-refundable too once it starts so watch out. As with FAA waivers, they are not fast either and it can take a few months too so plan way ahead. The advantage is with the ranger present, usually a Law Enforcement arm of whatever agency, no one will bother you and you are good to go.

Wow, that is crazy. Thanks for the insight. I may see what I can do here in Virginia. I really want to get some footage of a place called “Old Rag” a beautiful boulder topped vista.

Thanks again for the knowledge.

We've flown on and around the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) a few different times. Unfortunately not for Fun/Pleasure but for Search & Rescue.

We are "assigned" a NPS representative and he stays with our team the whole time we are flying from NPS land.

As stated above it's a gamble but until you try you'll never know.

Try it. It varies depending on the locale and the area's supervisor, and sundry other agencies who also get into the mix if they have some agreement with them. Whole process is surprising.

By the time you start getting all the paperwork, liability insurance for about $4-$5 million with the ACORD insurance forms signed over to them, sundry permits, and road encroachment release from whomever built the road in the park (They weren't built or maintained by the Park itself, but likely the local or county Roads or State Roads Dept.) and maintains it for you to park on, the local or county business license for the day, a monitor or ranger that will be assigned to you for ~$85-$110/hr. and weekdays only, possibility of needing a porta-potty hauled in and pumped out too depending on how many involved, and you'll learn something about dealing with the feds. I did it once with the U.S. Forest Service and it ran up to $2,300 for three hours, and the biggest rip off was the county roads department "Roads Encroachment Fee" for parking in a paved parking pullout for three hours which had to be signed off by the Forest Service before they'd sign off on their $230 non-refundable permit which was the cheapest part, next to a one-day business license for that county. Anyone else could park there for a $5 Adventure Pass, but if you want a permit, it's $1,600 for three hours to park in the same $5 spot (I kept their Roads Dept. encroachment parking approval paperwork as it is sort of humorous to look at it all!). It's a total wallet-buster and you'll get the impression they don't want you there flying your drone too, unless you pay through the nose for the privilege.

There is no set fee once the process starts, and it climbs fast from their published rates which you might find on some of their websites if others are part of the permit. It may be non-refundable too once it starts so watch out. As with FAA waivers, they are not fast either and it can take a few months too so plan way ahead. The advantage is with the ranger present, usually a Law Enforcement arm of whatever agency, no one will bother you and you are good to go.

Sound doable

Reactions: Nightwolf
Also, no one at the park itself can grant permission. This can only come from the person in charge of all National Parks.

Also, no one at the park itself can grant permission. This can only come from the person in charge of all National Parks.
In accordance with the NPS policy, approval comes from the Associate Director, Visitor and Resource Protection for the NPS.

John: The appropriate authorities for all national parks, in every country I’ve worked in, will issue permits. But it isn’t cheap and therefore realistically only for professional filming projects. If by any chance you’re serious - or for anyone else reading this - plan well in advance because official permissions take time to secure.

It depends on a place and country. I think it's a good way to film a nature, but I think that official permition is needed.

It depends on a place and country. I think it's a good way to film a nature, but I think that official permition is needed.

It's required by law and not "easy" to get. More places are starting to be more sUAS friendly.

About the only people not involved in SAR that are going to get a permit to fly a drone in a NP is a big movie or TV company with the money to afford all the hoops one needs to jump through AND a reason the park service would be on board with -- ma or pa Kettle aint going to have the money or the credibility to get approval. And, just so we're clear, the idea that the park service should permit anyone to fly in a park would work this way. Imagine you're at Yellowstone NP and one of 800 people sitting on the benches surrounding Old Faithful and waiting for it to blow. Now imagine that situation with 20 drones flying overhead. Need I go on?

Brian

I asked the superintendent at Death Valley NP. It was an emphatic NO. They were not even permitting other government agencies to fly. I go to parts of that park where I am completely alone. That place would be the safest park to fly in. Not happening. I did, however, set up and launch along the park's boundary in the adjacent Panamint Valley and flew over that area that is actually within the park. Completely isolated, saw no one and no one saw me. And, that was a legal flight. I can only dream of flying through Yosemite or Zion....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20