N Numbers and Registration Number

wju

Reaction score
I know this topic doesn't apply to all but to those that it does where are you placing your registration and FAA tail N numbers on your phantom and if your a commercial operator do you place your company logo or name on top?

I placed mine inside of the battery compartment.

4.jpg

Reactions: kevinm
Quoted from the FAA guidelines on UAS

"Q44. How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with the unique registration number?
A. You may use any method to affix the number, such as permanent marker, label, engraving, or other means, as long as the number is readily accessible and maintained in a condition that is readable and legible upon close visual inspection. The number may be enclosed in a compartment that is readily accessible."

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Quoted from the FAA guidelines on UAS

"Q44. How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with the unique registration number?
A. You may use any method to affix the number, such as permanent marker, label, engraving, or other means, as long as the number is readily accessible and maintained in a condition that is readable and legible upon close visual inspection. The number may be enclosed in a compartment that is readily accessible."

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
That is for HOBBY registration. Commercial registration is to be displayed on the outside of the aircraft in as "large as is possible" format.

I had a local company make a template of my P3P and they designed the N# decal to fit the area as full as is possible. I "believe" it's supposed to be on 2 sides but don't have that information available right now to confirm it.

Registration for commercial operations is required, however an "N" number is not.
You must use the paper (N-number) registration process if
  • Your unmanned aircraft is 55 pounds or greater
  • You want to qualify a small unmanned aircraft for operation outside the United States
  • You hold title to an aircraft in trust
  • The small unmanned aircraft owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements
Otherwise the typical FAXXXXX number is used, as long as it was established as a commercial aircraft.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
So what is the rule for the requirement for displaying commercial numbers outside the AC? Is it just for N numbers or is it N numbers and FA numbers that are commercial? Thanks

You have either a FA commercial number (obtained by going through the webpage) or an N number by going the paper route, not both. My N numbers are on the outside of the 'rear' arms about 1 inch high. As stated above, the commercial number has to be permanently displayed on the outside of the UAS.

You could have an N# (which is commercial) but you could also now have an FAA# that's commercial. Once they opened the online registration portal up to Commercial ops it sort of muddied the water a bit.

Either way you want to make sure you commercial # (N or FAA) is displayed as large as is reasonable on the outside of your aircraft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl