My Phantom 4 is tough!

Reaction score
I crashed through a tree in my first crack at sports mode, geez they go fast! No damage but the video stopped after it hit the tree for some reason!

I'm slowing down and taking more care..

Cheers Eric

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Jussaguy
I hope there is no damage but don't understand why you didn't climb ABOVE the trees before flying in Sport Mode?

I crashed through a tree in my first crack at sports mode, geez they go fast! No damage but the video stopped after it hit the tree for some reason!

Cheers Eric

Let us know how you go with the camera, hope it's not damaged

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It went through the tree and was hovering on the other side, it never hit the ground.
The two little covers at the tops of one side of the landing gear had popped off, I found them in the grass, no damage but must have hit a branch hard.
I just tested the camera, records fine, all working. Must have just bumped it enough to stop recording?
I did have line of sight, it was traveling away from me and I didn't realize how fast, I took the foot off the pedal but it kept going, momentum and all that. Luckily all is well.

Thanks for the comments.

I admire your honesty and actually posting it. Good lesson to other newbies.

I've been reading so many posts where people say something happened, blaming everything, even their Granny. Eventually after loads of posts they admit it was their own fault. :)

Reactions: LosDosMonitos

Cheers Eric

That's awesome!!!

I just had my first "semi crash" the other day.

I was just flying normal and when I was landing, I caught a gust (and panicked a little because I was surprised which I am usually collected) and it started moving towards a plant with speed and it hit the plant and the props hitting it sent it on its side and it just kept spinning.

Honestly sort of amazed it could realize there was something wrong and shut down. Had to do a CSC and I hate to admit it but it took me a second to remember it because of the change but I did a CSC shutdown and then threw it right back in the air. Same props and all.

As far as I can see, zero damage.

Not even the props. Impressed, I was.

I admire your honesty and actually posting it. Good lesson to other newbies.

I've been reading so many posts where people say something happened, blaming everything, even their Granny. Eventually after loads of posts they admit it was their own fault. :)
Not a big deal, but this site is so concerned with people blaming themselves, the rain, the government, themselves or the craft. Who cares who they blame, themselves or not?

Never understood that one. If you want to say the sun was in your eyes, I would think no more or less of you.

That's not to say I care more or less of you for caring JAAir. Just saying. A LOT OF posts getting annoyed at people for dumb stuff.

Reactions: Patrick
In my first 10 minutes of flying, I trimmed my friend's palm tree, leaving fronds all over his wife's Cadillac. The drone never fell out of the sky :)

I was too "green" at combo sticking ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussaguy
Not a big deal, but this site is so concerned with people blaming themselves, the rain, the government, themselves or the craft. Who cares who they blame, themselves or not?

Never understood that one. If you want to say the sun was in your eyes, I would think no more or less of you.

That's not to say I care more or less of you for caring JAAir. Just saying. A LOT OF posts getting annoyed at people for dumb stuff.

What I was getting at, is that reading the posts over the last couple of months with the OP saying along the lines of "Bird Crashed any ideas why?". Then people posting the reason that they were "flying backwards into a wall", or they had their "RTH altitude set too low", or whatever. The reason they crashed was that they had made an error, whether they realised it or not.

EricThViking, the OP for this thread, openly admits he cocked up when using Sports Mode for the first time, and has taken the time and effort to let us know. Giving a few of us a laugh, but reminding people that it is so easy to make the simplest of mistakes.

So it wasn't about blame, it was just surprising to see someone start a thread saying look at the stupid thing I did, which so many of us do.

What I was getting at, is that reading the posts over the last couple of months with the OP saying along the lines of "Bird Crashed any ideas why?". Then people posting the reason that they were "flying backwards into a wall", or they had their "RTH altitude set too low", or whatever. The reason they crashed was that they had made an error, whether they realised it or not.

EricThViking, the OP for this thread, openly admits he cocked up when using Sports Mode for the first time, and has taken the time and effort to let us know. Giving a few of us a laugh, but reminding people that it is so easy to make the simplest of mistakes.

So it wasn't about blame, it was just surprising to see someone start a thread saying look at the stupid thing I did, which so many of us do.
That's fair. Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers Eric

Had a similar experience but fail in my own rule.. when in doubt fly up high and fast..

Gotta give it an A for effort. I would have bet that the first tangle with the trees would have taken it out. Looks like the obstacle avoidance was working overtime. Pretty amazing you got it back from that one.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl