My new P3A don't want update firmware

Reaction score
Hi to all, I open today the box of my new P3A. Recharge all batteryes and turn on everithing. First strange signal: the DJI GO is connected to a P3 Professional ... strange. Then, show me to update firmware of controller and drone, ok I start from controller and it go. then I calibrate the controller, ok again. Then I try do update drone firmware (if I don't update the firmware I can't fly). I download the firmware for P3A and I put the bin file on the SD, then I put the card into the P3A and turn it on: the gimball move the camera and the update of the firmware don't start. Then I turn on again the controller and:
DJI GO connect me to a P3P
Any image from the camera
Overall Status: Aircraft/Camera/Battery update required (like before)
Remainig SD Card Capacity: 0 Mb (??)
Wich problem? Cant read SD card? I format again in FAT32 but anything new.
After the boot the camera move for chech and point to the ground.
And why the DJI GO recognize it as P3P?
Anyone have an idea?
Thanks

Is it a P3A, go into camera settings and see if you can select 4K resolution, it may be a pro unit.

Change SD card and try again

If it's the Pro download the correct firmware

Is it a P3A, go into camera settings and see if you can select 4K resolution, it may be a pro unit.

Change SD card and try again

If it's the Pro download the correct firmware

The camera options are not available. I try to change the SD but the result is the same. This is the picture: is a P3A! I don't want to try with a different FW. Probably it will fly back to the seller ... :-(

Attachments

• IMG_20170916_184611.jpg
    IMG_20170916_184611.jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 438
First strange signal: the DJI GO is connected to a P3 Professional ... strange.
Did you try to change it to P3A or did you just accept the default model?
Then, show me to update firmware of controller and drone, ok I start from controller and it go. then I calibrate the controller, ok again. Then I try do update drone firmware (if I don't update the firmware I can't fly).
I always tell people to not update anything until they have tested what they have for functionality and to be sure they know which versions they started with out of the box.
Which versions of RC and AC firmware did you have out of the box before you started updating?
What makes you think you can't fly if you don't update?
I download the firmware for P3A and I put the bin file on the SD, then I put the card into the P3A and turn it on: the gimball move the camera and the update of the firmware don't start.
Is the .bin file unzipped and located in the root of the SD card? Are you using a P3A .bin file with a file name that starts with P3S?
Are you following these steps?
Does your P3 add a small .txt file to the SD card when you try to update? It should. If it does, please post it here if you don't mind.
Wich problem? Cant read SD card?
It's unlikely, but there could be an issue with the SD card reader. We do see that from time to time. Rare yes, but possible.
Are you formatting the SD card in the P3 or in your computer?

If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Did you try to change it to P3A or did you just accept the default model?

The DJI GO start on Phantom 3 professional and I can't change

I always tell people to not update anything until they have tested what they have for functionality and to be sure they know which versions they started with out of the box.
Actually DJI GO in Overall Status tell Updates Required and I follow the instrucitions ...

Which versions of RC and AC firmware did you have out of the box before you started updating?
I haven't check

What makes you think you can't fly if you don't update?
Because if I try to start engine with CSC I receive a message 'Aircraft firmware Inconsistent ....
Is the .bin file unzipped and located in the root of the SC card? Are you using a P3A .bin file with a file name that starts with P3S?
Are you following these steps?
Yes and yes

Does your P3 add a small .txt file to the SD card when you try to update? It should. If it does, please post it here if you don't mind.
No the firmware update doesn't start

It's unlikely, but there could be an issue with the SD card reader. We do see that from time to time. Rare yes, but possible.
Are you formatting the SD card in the P3 or in your computer?
I seems the aircraft doesn'r read the SD card (and the camera). I have formatted again the SD with my PC.
Other strange things: in aircraft status the Remaining SD Card Capacity: 0 MB, Gimball status: normal
In about
App: 3.1.11
Version 1.5.30+
Remote controller 1.9.3

If I attach the camera socket to the PC I don't see the SD!

Thanks Oso

Actually DJI GO in Overall Status tell Updates Required and I follow the instrucitions ...
I haven't check
I see. So now for next time you know that updates are optional.

[Other readers of this thread: This is exactly why I always tell people to NOT update right out of the box until they at least check out their P3 for functionality. Troubleshooting becomes a series of guesses when we don't know FW versions out of the box and we don't know what was or was not working out of the box]

Because if I try to start engine with CSC I receive a message 'Aircraft firmware Inconsistent ....
This most likely means that since you updated the RC, you have inadvertently created a mismatch between RC and AC firmware. Many of the AC and RC versions are okay to mix and match, but there are some considerations such as pre or post an encryption change with AC1.8 and RC1.6. This is one of the things to research and consider before deciding if you want to make changes to FW.

It could also mean that the gimbal/camera has been replaced and the FW was not updated. Is this a used or a refurbished P3A?

Under normal circumstance, I would probably first recommend a couple of things to try:
1. Downgrade the RC firmware so that you could then test out your P3 for functionality before researching and deciding if you wanted to update at all.
2. Update your AC to a FW version that will work with your new RC FW and then test your P3 for functionality.

In your case however, it seems that the SD card reader is not functioning or something else on your gimbal main board is not functioning since you said that you also see no image from the camera.
[Note that the gimbal main board above the camera is what differentiates between a P3A and a P3P]

How do the two gray cables look above the gimbal main board? Do they appear loose? Perhaps crooked and not fully seated connectors?
Maybe try to carefully unplug them and re-seat them and then check for SD card slot functionality. (Note: I'm assuming you've already checked out the SD card itself for read/write functionality in your PC since you've said you formatted it and were able to load an unzipped .bin file to the root.)

Also, have you tried a couple of different cables from your mobile device to your RC?

In about
App: 3.1.11
Version 1.5.30+
Remote controller 1.9.3
The AC v1.5.3+ is a red flag for me and leads me to further think this is not a new P3A but either a used (private sale) or a refurbished unit.

If I attach the camera socket to the PC I don't see the SD!
Is your AC powered up when you try this?

Last edited:
Reactions: galbandrea
I see. So now for next time you know that updates are optional.

[Other readers of this thread: This is exactly why I always tell people to NOT update right out of the box until they at least check out their P3 for functionality. Troubleshooting becomes a series of guesses when we don't know FW versions out of the box and we don't know what was or was not working out of the box]

This most likely means that since you updated the RC, you have inadvertently created a mismatch between RC and AC firmware. Many of the AC and RC versions are okay to mix and match, but there are some considerations such as pre or post an encryption change with AC1.8 and RC1.6. This is one of the things to research and consider before deciding if you want to make changes to FW.

It could also mean that the gimbal/camera has been replaced and the FW was not updated. Is this a used or a refurbished P3A?

Under normal circumstance, I would probably first recommend a couple of things to try:
1. Downgrade the RC firmware so that you could then test out your P3 for functionality before researching and deciding if you wanted to update at all.
2. Update your AC to a FW version that will work with your new RC FW and then test your P3 for functionality.

In your case however, it seems that the SD card reader is not functioning or something else on your gimbal main board is not functioning since you said that you also see no image from the camera.
[Note that the gimbal main board above the camera is what differentiates between a P3A and a P3P]

How do the two gray cables look above the gimbal main board? Do they appear loose? Perhaps crooked and not fully seated connectors?
Maybe try to carefully unplug them and re-seat them and then check for SD card slot functionality. (Note: I'm assuming you've already checked out the SD card itself for read/write functionality in your PC since you've said you formatted it and were able to load an unzipped .bin file to the root.)

Also, have you tried a couple of different cables from your mobile device to your RC?

The AC v1.5.3+ is a red flag for me and leads me to further think this is not a new P3A but either a used (private sale) or a refurbished unit.

Is your AC powered up when you try this?

Thanks again Oso,
the idea of a problem on the connection cable was great but I try to unplug and re-seat the 2 cables but any positive feeback from the drone. Any light from the Camera Status Indicator and, after about 10 seconds after the 'show' at boot of the gimball the camera point the ground (exactly 45°, is sad! ) and I think, like your suggestion, the problem is in the phisical link between the mainboard and the camera (and I also think the SD is directly linked to the camera, like a single device): the signal is interrupted and the drone can't read from the SD the bin file. The firmaware update is independent from the RC (the upgrade of FW of the drone is made when the RC is turned off) and if it doesn't start is probably the SD can't be read (or reachable).
Thanks

The replacement for the 'bugged' P3A is arrived. On this one the light of the Camera Status Indicator is on (green light). Probably in the old one there was a problem of connection between mainboard and camera ....
As Oso suggest I'll wait before update any FW. Does anyone know where find the changelog of every firmware available?
Thanks

The replacement for the 'bugged' P3A is arrived. On this one the light of the Camera Status Indicator is on (green light). Probably in the old one there was a problem of connection between mainboard and camera ....
As Oso suggest I'll wait before update any FW. Does anyone know where find the changelog of every firmware available?
Thanks
You can find P3A release notes here.

That link is also listed in the tips that I sent you earlier in post #4 above.

Good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl