My neighbors are mad at me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow great footage. I can't see anything cruel about it. People saying that your invading the privacy of the hawk. Funny how they don't say that when they watch a documentary and nature programme where they get up close to birds, lions, snakes, etc on camera with the whole film crew

Reactions: PJC5301
Wow great footage. I can't see anything cruel about it. People saying that your invading the privacy of the hawk. Funny how they don't say that when they watch a documentary and nature programme where they get up close to birds, lions, snakes, etc on camera with the whole film crew

It is nice footage, but I don't think the comparison to nature documentary filming is a good one. Documentary-makers take great care to avoid disturbance or injury to the subjects. In this case the birds were obviously very agitated and could easily have been seriously injured by the aircraft props.

In his defense, the OP states that he was unaware that they were there, which just makes it an unfortunate encounter.

It is nice footage, but I don't think the comparison to nature documentary filming is a good one. Documentary-makers take great care to avoid disturbance or injury to the subjects. In this case the birds were obviously very agitated and could easily have been seriously injured by the aircraft props.

In his defense, the OP states that he was unaware that they were there, which just makes it an unfortunate encounter.
Also, being a Filmmaker myself, I know that documentary filmmakers often use very expensive telephoto lenses to get up close video of the lions and snakes, because there's no way they are going to safely get close enough with a regular Lens without getting eaten. Also if I ever see a bird of prey anywhere in the sky while I am flying, I immediately get the drone far from the birds, and land as soon as possible. I don't take any chances with those unpredictable creatures. I am not into saving the animals, I think hunting is fine, but it is not polite to taunt and scare the hawk with the flying weedeater. I understand the OP didn't know that the hawk lived in the tree, but the first glimpse should have been a sign that he needed to land FAST! the fact that there were 3 attacks tells me that there may have been a desire to taunt the bird, not get away. Hey, I know the temptation, I once taunted some kids down the street with my drone. They were shooting at the drone with bb guns, so I flew up to 400 feet and started to fly circles around them. I realised soon after starting the first circle that I was being stupid and letting my anger get the better of me. We need to be kind and polite to everyone and everything, or we give all drone Pilots a bad name.

So....just to be clear, you enjoy randomly hovering over the tops of trees for no real reason, or you knew you were harassing wildlife? Cuz it’s not much of a destination unless you were trying to provoke an attack.

I have had close encounters with Bald Eagles and Hawks where I fly in northern Michigan. It's unnerving to watch a eagle fly around my drone staring at it . I just dodge, duck, and avoid and so far so good. It's their territory.
Drone 30 - 40 mph. Eagle at a dive 0 - 99 mph. No Contest.

While it is neat to see the birds up close, it seems pretty obvious this was not an accident. 1 attack is an accident. Three attacks is taunting. These are tough animals, but they have bones that are hollow, and having taken a hit to the finger buy a prop myself, I'm confident that these Tough animals could have been seriously injured by the props. Not cool.

Reactions: DigitalSkyPilot
Looks like the hawk said. I’m coming for this intruder. Funny stuff.

I can't believe you waited for the second strike before you hightailed it out of there. LOL

Second strike came before I even knew the first strike happened.

While it is neat to see the birds up close, it seems pretty obvious this was not an accident. 1 attack is an accident. Three attacks is taunting.

It's my tree.. They can go nest on a fence post. if that'll please you.

Also, being a Filmmaker myself, I know that documentary filmmakers often use very expensive telephoto lenses to get up close video of the lions and snakes, because there's no way they are going to safely get close enough with a regular Lens without getting eaten. Also if I ever see a bird of prey anywhere in the sky while I am flying, I immediately get the drone far from the birds, and land as soon as possible. I don't take any chances with those unpredictable creatures. I am not into saving the animals, I think hunting is fine, but it is not polite to taunt and scare the hawk with the flying weedeater. I understand the OP didn't know that the hawk lived in the tree, but the first glimpse should have been a sign that he needed to land FAST! the fact that there were 3 attacks tells me that there may have been a desire to taunt the bird, not get away. Hey, I know the temptation, I once taunted some kids down the street with my drone. They were shooting at the drone with bb guns, so I flew up to 400 feet and started to fly circles around them. I realised soon after starting the first circle that I was being stupid and letting my anger get the better of me. We need to be kind and polite to everyone and everything, or we give all drone Pilots a bad name.

I know, right? Next month we're going to Oregon to get some footage of a snow owl.. Stay tuned.

I have to agree with you. The do gooders and animal rights nuts will come out in force if they even think a cricket is being harmed, to say nothing of a hawk, which was nesting. I had a Buzzard go after my Phantom but I dropped down and got away from him. I was just flying around and he dropped down and went after my drone, nothing but blue sky around us. Figure that one out?
The do gooders foul attitudes and comments should be removed in my opinion.

As soon as I watched this great video I chuckled because I knew it would bring out the haters. I was right lol. Thanks for sharing.

I have to agree with you. The do gooders and animal rights nuts will come out in force if they even think a cricket is being harmed, to say nothing of a hawk, which was nesting. I had a Buzzard go after my Phantom but I dropped down and got away from him. I was just flying around and he dropped down and went after my drone, nothing but blue sky around us. Figure that one out?
The do gooders foul attitudes and comments should be removed in my opinion.

Just to clarify your positions here:

Haters = do gooders = "anyone who objects to harassing/injuring nesting birds of prey with a drone"?

Would that be accurate, or did I misunderstand something?

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
Where do you find the time... With the destruction of the environment by Monsanto and Round-up, The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, ...

Dang, I planted that tree for them. Dug that pond for them. Feed them rabbits....

Awesome video! The Hawk is 100% ( Mod Removed ) He just thought you were another animal trying to cramp his style and went beast mode on your Phantom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wisker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4