Thank you. This video is so awesome. It give us newbies something to strive for. Great job. Thank you for your service.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

So if you were to do the mission again, would add a maybe a 1 ft at the waypoints that have curve size of 0, example WP19,21 to get rid of the stop and start of the Phantom?
Or was this intentional?

Rod

Thank you for bringing this up, everytime I watch the video it drives me nuts. I kept thinking it might have something to do with the waypoints but I couldn't put my finger on it. Your suggestion makes total sense and I'm going to give it a try. I do plan on flying this mission again with a few other tweaks I have in mind.

Reactions: RodPad
Interesting area -- I was out that way a few times in 2005/2006 though mostly along the Red Rock Canyon loop. I would caution you about flying behind a large object like a ridge-line as you can easily lose your signal and then it's a bit of a crap shoot if the drone makes it's way out of there. Being relatively close helps, but you can lose signal even relatively close if you have something between the drone and RC. Also, I would learn to use manual exposure control as the changing lighting makes it all but certain you will have the exposure change and often not the way you would want. Practice using manual exposure control and you will be much happier...

Brian

Reactions: VegasFlyer
This is my P3P video taken of the Calico Basin, Gateway Canyon Trail just west of Las Vegas located near the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. As of yet, it has no sound and no titles. I wanted to get the video posted first. It was shot and uploaded in 4K.

This is by far my most daring and complex mission. Although I've been to the area several times, I had never viewed the Gateway Canyon Trail. (I'm not into long hikes!) I worked out the path in Google Earth Pro first, exported it to a .KML file and then imported it into Litchi Hub where I refined the curves and waypoints. The total distance is 2.8 miles with a flight time of 15 minutes according to Litchi. The actual flight time is just over 13 minutes.

This mission was a success largely due to the very favorable weather. Winds were calm (i.e. less than 3 mph) meaning the winds in the canyon itself would be negligible. However, I did forget to set my RTH altitude and that could have been a huge problem! Live and learn...

I hope you enjoy it!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mission Hub
Great flight!! Very brave to fly behind a ridge like that. Did the AC have contact with the RC during the whole flight, or did Litchi run the flight by itself during the time the RC was not in contact with the AC?

Great flight!! Very brave to fly behind a ridge like that. Did the AC have contact with the RC during the whole flight, or did Litchi run the flight by itself during the time the RC was not in contact with the AC?

I’m still wrapping my mind around the way you can use these technologies together like this. Awesome job, btw!

I wondered about that loss of signal question, too. I seemed to recall that Litchi could carry on a mission after loss of signal (?), but wondered about RTH being triggered by loss of signal. Is that maybe just a DJI Go 4 feature that doesn’t apply in Litchi?

I live in the Smoky Mtns and can envision similar scenarios flying into valleys and around the backside of peaks.

Thank you for bringing this up, everytime I watch the video it drives me nuts. I kept thinking it might have something to do with the waypoints but I couldn't put my finger on it. Your suggestion makes total sense and I'm going to give it a try. I do plan on flying this mission again with a few other tweaks I have in mind.
Yep, learned it here some time ago. If a waypoint curve is 0, then it pauses (stops).

Even if your mission is set to have a curved waypoint setting, when you insert a new waypoint it will be zero.

I bet your now thinking, this is taking up battery time..
As far as I can tell and from other posts, Litchi est time doesn't calculate that.

The cool part about sharing your mission, is that others can see what worked and what didn't.
Also, others can proof it before you run it.

Since seeing your video and mission, I'm going back to playing with POI's

Rod

Litchi is my goto app and recently I setup 4 missions in Mexico from my computer 2000 miles away. 3/4 miles across the ocean and along the shore of an island then safe return home. 14 minute flight. Litchi is great.

Litchi is my goto app and recently I setup 4 missions in Mexico from my computer 2000 miles away. 3/4 miles across the ocean and along the shore of an island then safe return home. 14 minute flight. Litchi is great.
Really nice! What drone where you using for this?

Some excellent POI Litchi flying!
Thanks for sharing :)

It was impressive that you were able to pre-program all of the way points and then launch (and hope). Nice job. It would be interesting to do the same flight with DJI G0 4’s new TapFly/Coordinate mode. Most cinematography is done in short clips. I find that using the “coordiate mode” I can fly leg-by-leg in real time, look around and optimize each leg (camera settings and path).

On the other hand, what percentage of your flight was without VLOS. Recreational or not, in the US, you must always fly VLOS. Rules are rules.

This is my P3P video taken of the Calico Basin, Gateway Canyon Trail just west of Las Vegas located near the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. As of yet, it has no sound and no titles. I wanted to get the video posted first. It was shot and uploaded in 4K.

This is by far my most daring and complex mission. Although I've been to the area several times, I had never viewed the Gateway Canyon Trail. (I'm not into long hikes!) I worked out the path in Google Earth Pro first, exported it to a .KML file and then imported it into Litchi Hub where I refined the curves and waypoints. The total distance is 2.8 miles with a flight time of 15 minutes according to Litchi. The actual flight time is just over 13 minutes.

This mission was a success largely due to the very favorable weather. Winds were calm (i.e. less than 3 mph) meaning the winds in the canyon itself would be negligible. However, I did forget to set my RTH altitude and that could have been a huge problem! Live and learn...

I hope you enjoy it!

Mission Hub
So if you were to do the mission again, would add a maybe a 1 ft at the waypoints that have curve size of 0, example WP19,21 to get rid of the stop and start of the Phantom?
Or was this intentional?

Rod

Very nice. Approx how many way points do you program?

Interesting area -- I was out that way a few times in 2005/2006 though mostly along the Red Rock Canyon loop. I would caution you about flying behind a large object like a ridge-line as you can easily lose your signal and then it's a bit of a crap shoot if the drone makes it's way out of there. Being relatively close helps, but you can lose signal even relatively close if you have something between the drone and RC. Also, I would learn to use manual exposure control as the changing lighting makes it all but certain you will have the exposure change and often not the way you would want. Practice using manual exposure control and you will be much happier...

Brian
Pretty certain that he must have lost control signal during major portions of the flight and the LCMC function kept it from entering into RTH during the mission. With no control signal, there would be no way to alter the exposure, even in manual, and it would definitely have been necessary, given the severely changing lighting during the flight. Even in Auto Exposure, the exposure is still adjustable on the fly, to correct for Auto Exposure problems, but that still requires a control signal. Any "Lost Control Mission Continues" flight will have compromises. However, there's still enough properly exposed footage to create a stellar 2 minute clip, after editing! :cool:

Very nice. Approx how many way points do you program?

Thank you! There were 40 wp in that mission. If you click on "MIssion Hub" in the first post you'll be taken to the mission plan.

Yep, learned it here some time ago. If a waypoint curve is 0, then it pauses (stops).

Even if your mission is set to have a curved waypoint setting, when you insert a new waypoint it will be zero.

I bet your now thinking, this is taking up battery time..
As far as I can tell and from other posts, Litchi est time doesn't calculate that.

The cool part about sharing your mission, is that others can see what worked and what didn't.
Also, others can proof it before you run it.

Since seeing your video and mission, I'm going back to playing with POI's

Rod

Believe me, I appreciate all the input I can get! As for time, my cruising speed was 15 mph and I landed with 41% left on the battery. I doubt your suggestion will make a significant difference. I'm planning a new mission in the same area that will be about .9 mile longer and a bit higher in altitude. The route I really want to take is pushing the distance a little further than I want, but the scenery is worth it. Thank goodness the P3P is insured! :)

I've flown behind a number of ridges before this one and Litchi handled all of them just fine. I lost connection just after I made the left turn into the canyon. Specifically, right after the first view of the city. I was out of contact for a little over 5 minutes. I regained contact right when I turned toward the sun just after I crossed over the peak. I was at 942' at that point.

I hope you enjoy it!

Mission Hub
Very nice. The people on the trail show the scale. We have a pretty cool planet.

Very nice. The people on the trail show the scale. We have a pretty cool planet.

Thanks! Yes, we have a pretty cool home! :)

Reactions: Phantom Pirate

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic