My flyaway story and what to do

deltamike said:
Its a good thing people cant do this when buying and driving a car for the first time and I hope that in the future there is some similar legislation for flying these aircraft. It is only a matter of time before someone is killed - mark my words.

There is no accounting for idiots, and idiots should be held accountable for the results of their actions. But why, in a world where we have government trading terrorists for a closet Muslim deserter, government hawking bogus man-man global warming legislation and imposing unattainable rules on our primary method of electrical generation, rules that will drive the cost of your energy through the roof, why would you advocate government legislation on what you describe as a toy?

How much of your life are you willing to ceade to government?

SMH...

Dirty Bird said:
deltamike said:
Its a good thing people cant do this when buying and driving a car for the first time and I hope that in the future there is some similar legislation for flying these aircraft. It is only a matter of time before someone is killed - mark my words.

There is no accounting for idiots, and idiots should be held accountable for the results of their actions. But why, in a world where we have government trading terrorists for a closet Muslim deserter, government hawking bogus man-man global warming legislation and imposing unattainable rules on our primary method of electrical generation, rules that will drive the cost of your energy through the roof, why would you advocate government legislation on what you describe as a toy?

SMH...

Hi SMH - I did not describe it as a toy. A toy does not have the capability of causing damage or injury - mainly.

I described it as NOT a toy. ;)

Me case rests your honour.

Pete

deltamike said:

Pete

Don't rest it yet, because you neglected to answer my question. How much of your life are willing to surrender to government control? Exactly what is left you can do without government permission? In California they want you to sign consent papers before having sex! Some mindless, unelected, bureacrat in Washington is not the answer to every aspect of life. You want folks like those running the IRS & VA hospitals in charge of everything? What the Hell has happened to a once great nation?

Dirty Bird said:
deltamike said:

Pete

Don't rest it yet, because you neglected to answer my question. How much of your life are willing to surrender to government control? Exactly what is left you can do without government permission? In California they want you to sign consent papers before having sex! Some mindless, unelected, bureacrat in Washington is not the answer to every aspect of life. You want folks like those running the IRS & VA hospitals in charge of everything? What the Hell has happened to a once great nation?

You must be kidding!!!

Well, if that's the case I can see why you are up in arms.

However, leaving politics and religion aside, I am willing to accept the rules of flying Phantoms and the like to UK CAA.

Our little island is becoming overcrowded and as such there MUST be some sort of control.

Good luck SMH.

Pete

A personal story about prop guards.
I purchased my son an FC40 for his birthday. Within 2 weeks, I had to get my own... a week later I had a P2V+.
Without much model R/C flying, Jack(my son) and I beat up that FC40 pretty bad.. broke a few props, kissed a pine tree, landed hard, mixed up the modes, had a "flyaway" (which I learned was operator error).

Thanks to this forum and others, we learned a lot in those first 3 weeks, and flew it constantly, so by the time I received the P2V+, I was much more competent. My P2V+ hasn't landed hard once, tipped over, kissed a tree, or gone flyaway. I learned to fly it ATTI and then manual mode. I'd like to think I'm pretty good as a quad-rotor pilot. Then I put on prop guards (because they finally came in from Chief Aircraft- slow delivery).

Guess what? VRS state in the parking lot. I took off, hovered at 10 feet for a moment, and it started shaking and descending. I knew it was rotor wash so I applied right stick. This slowed its descent right before impact, though the phantom was tilted a bit due to my control inputs. *BUMP* - right on the prop guards. The guards (DJI brand) bent, cracked and caused the two props on the side that touched to fracture. No gimbal damage, or anything else.

I removed the prop guards, and never had a VRS again, even with 1.08 and faster descents.

Bottom line: There is a lot to learn, don't beat yourself up about mistakes. I advise an FC40 as a starting point for noobs with no R/C experience (Sell it when your done, or use it for manual mode flights). Don't fly with prop guards. Oh, and for those that insist on more regulation (its coming anyway) DON"T TREAD ON ME! I will take personal responsibility for an accident/incident.

deltamike said:
You must be kidding!!!

Well, if that's the case I can see why you are up in arms.

However, leaving politics and religion aside, I am willing to accept the rules of flying Phantoms and the like to UK CAA.

Our little island is becoming overcrowded and as such there MUST be some sort of control.

Good luck SMH.

Pete

Nope its true. Consent papers before sex! Almost comical were it not true. A few years from now the left will be applauding the first man-goat wedding. I take it from the island comment you are from the UK? In a few short years the UK (and most of Europe) will be firmly in control...of the Muslim minority your country has been allowing in, who will soon become a majority. Check out the demographics of most of Europe with the Islamic invasion. I'd like to think Americans have more common sense than to stand by for this sort of stuff. Then again, America elected a Marxist twice... :roll:

DrJoe said:
A personal story about prop guards.
I purchased my son an FC40 for his birthday. Within 2 weeks, I had to get my own... a week later I had a P2V+.
Without much model R/C flying, Jack(my son) and I beat up that FC40 pretty bad.. broke a few props, kissed a pine tree, landed hard, mixed up the modes, had a "flyaway" (which I learned was operator error).

Thanks to this forum and others, we learned a lot in those first 3 weeks, and flew it constantly, so by the time I received the P2V+, I was much more competent. My P2V+ hasn't landed hard once, tipped over, kissed a tree, or gone flyaway. I learned to fly it ATTI and then manual mode. I'd like to think I'm pretty good as a quad-rotor pilot. Then I put on prop guards (because they finally came in from Chief Aircraft- slow delivery).

Guess what? VRS state in the parking lot. I took off, hovered at 10 feet for a moment, and it started shaking and descending. I knew it was rotor wash so I applied right stick. This slowed its descent right before impact, though the phantom was tilted a bit due to my control inputs. *BUMP* - right on the prop guards. The guards (DJI brand) bent, cracked and caused the two props on the side that touched to fracture. No gimbal damage, or anything else.

I removed the prop guards, and never had a VRS again, even with 1.08 and faster descents.

Bottom line: There is a lot to learn, don't beat yourself up about mistakes. I advise an FC40 as a starting point for noobs with no R/C experience (Sell it when your done, or use it for manual mode flights). Don't fly with prop guards. Oh, and for those that insist on more regulation (its coming anyway) DON"T TREAD ON ME! I will take personal responsibility for an accident/incident.

Erm. That's me told. :(

All the same, I will put the question to DJI and see what pearls of wisdom they have to say on the subject.

Surely they would have tested for the VRS effect ...........................
Can VRS happen at any altitude?

Pete

Surely they would have tested for the VRS effect ...........................
It's Physics and pilot error not a DJI induced issue.
Can VRS happen at any altitude?
Yes if you descend too fast and get caught in your own prop wash.

This is the Bill DB is talking about:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces ... 20140SB967

It pertains ONLY to sexual acts between students on a college campus.

As far as government regulation, like it or not it is coming. It started long before the current administration and will continue well beyond it. Love him or hate him, this is one thing Obama has nothing to do with. FAA has been working towards this goal since at least 2002 that I am aware of.

But for the Love of God, is there NO PLACE where we can be free of people interjecting their political views into a hobby related forum??

SilentAV8R said:
This is the Bill DB is talking about:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces ... 20140SB967

It pertains ONLY to sexual acts between students on a college campus.

As far as government regulation, like it or not it is coming. It started long before the current administration and will continue well beyond it. Love him or hate him, this is one thing Obama has nothing to do with. FAA has been working towards this goal since at least 2002 that I am aware of.

But for the Love of God, is there NO PLACE where we can be free of people interjecting their political views into a hobby related forum??

My comment on the OP:
A phantom is not a toy but a flying lawnmower (quite accurate comparison)
and what the hell are you doing at 500ft high 2000ft away, violating the base rules of the FAA/CAA for UAV's.
You had a flyaway? Such a shame...

VRS was called settling with power in helicopter training... Most common on still days (no wind) and near vertical descents. The helicopter gets caught in its own downwash and more collective (pitch in the rotor blades) only exacerbates the problem. The fix is to nose over and get forward airspeed and pretty much fly out of the downwash. Sure miss flying the big ones... :|

While we are on the subject, can someone answer the following please.

What positions do the switches have to be in to have the Phantom ignore the GPS and rely only on the Naza gyros and accelerometers, barometric devices only? Presumably this is the ATTI. Am I correct?

The P2V+ has all modes on the right switch (S1) configured to "Phantom" mode from the factory. All three positions are the same - flight settings are elected automatically depending on whether you have a lock on 6 or more satellites. If you have a lock on 6 or more satellites then it will fly in GPS mode. If you have less then 6 satellites then the GPS location is not known and the Phantom is more challenging to fly because it can't stabilize itself on a GPS coordinate and RTH won't work.

If you want to access ATTI mode or manual mode on the P2V+ you have to use the Phantom 2 Vision Assistance software to reprogam the P2V+ to "Naza-M" mode instead of "Phantom" mode. In "Naza-M" mode, the S1 switch can be configured to select between GPS, ATTI or Manual mode.

With regards to this flyaway - are you sure that you had a GPS lock at your home location when you took off? If you didn't have a GPS lock and you started flying over the ocean, your GPS home location may have locked at an area over the ocean which would have resulted in a RTH in the ocean. Or if you got confused and began flipping the left switch (S2) you may have changed your GPS home location to an area over the ocean.

Thanks Dezunka.

So in your sentence

.................. the S1 switch can be configured to select between GPS, ATTI or Manual mode."

In this configuration what actually happens in the ATTI mode.

Does the aircraft ignore the GPS and only rely on onboard sensors?

2000 feet away, 500ft up over water and used RTH? Not trying to be a **** but you were asking for it. Not DJIs fault

deltamike said:
Dirty Bird said:
deltamike said:

SMH...

Hi SMH - I did not describe it as a toy. A toy does not have the capability of causing damage or injury - mainly.

I described it as NOT a toy. ;)

Pete

You obviously never had lawn darts growing up.

Dirty Bird said:
deltamike said:

Pete

Amen to that ;) +1

dezunka said:
The best way to explain it is to watch Colin Guinn (formerly with DJI) explain it in his video. This video was the first generation Phantom but if you program your Phantom 2 Vision + to operate in ATTI mode, this is what you will get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwgFihFe2P4

Thanks Dezunka.

What has me confused that at 1 minute 06 he does state "GPS attitude".

So ATTI still uses GPS if he is right.

Regardless of this, in a drift situation any onboard accelerometers should detect this and cancel it surely.

All I want to know is :- Is there a mode that will rely only on onboard sensors to keep the aircraft stable - similar to the Parrot AR2 if you are familiar with this.

Regards

Pete

Right - I have found the answer I am looking for.

The answer is Manual mode - or so I have been told.

Demonstrated here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TIEkbVq ... r_embedded

If I start to loose control of the aircraft - this is the mode to switch to regain control - and if I am filming under trees - again - manual mode.

Thanks to those that answered my questions,

Regards

Pete

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj