My first real job, any advice?

Reaction score
In a couple of weeks I'll be doing a video shoot of a mountain biking event.
It's a small town, small event. But I know someone who rides there and he got me an intro, and they were excited to have me take a stab at doing some video, especially since I offered a very reduced price, since I'm just building a portfolio at this point.

I initially mentioned "aerial" video, just getting some cools shots of the riders, but the guy responds back about, we'd love to have a "movie" of our event. Are you doing interviews with riders, ground video along with the aerial video?

Well... I honestly hadn't given a thought to interviews. I did think that I might do some ground video, but certainly not interviews.

But, I'm thinking I could give it a try. I have a decent camcorder, a hand-held stabilizer (I did plan on eventually doing more ground work).

Any advice in general? And on doing the aerial mountain biking?

I plan on spending the day before scouting the route.

Andy

Reactions: Mark Faircloth
Inexperienced drone pilot "taking a stab" at aerial mountain biking video for a very reduced price to build his portfolio? What could possibly go wrong? :eek:Seriously? Don't do it! Your financial liability far exceeds any possible income! Unless you have a million dollars in insurance, don't even consider it! Do you remember the hexacopter filming the downhill skier that crashed just behind the skier in the Olympics? That was with no trees and a single skier on the course. Mountain bike racing is far more risky: Trees, multiple riders, uneven terrain. Stick with the safe ground video and interviews, and a get a long telephoto lens, if you want close-ups. Hey, you asked! :cool:

If you've got a commercial licence and insurance, I see no reason why not. Get permission from everyone, make sure they understand the risks. Stay safe..
The insurance is, indeed, the kicker! Make sure those permission slips are in writing, and notarized! :cool:

Reactions: Alex Baxter
What AC are you flying? Getting in close enough to really get a feel for the action (without being part of it) with a phantom will be tricky.

You could get some of the riders to install magic leash or airspace (litchi or autopilot) for some accurate tracking.

I'm gathering your new to charging for your work rather than to flying. This is a very tricky gig to pull off. At least the riders will have protective gear so unlikely you will seriously injure anyone.

Make sure you have plenty of batteries and a way to charge in the field.

Advice? If you haven't already done so, get your FAA Part 107 certification.

And insurance—plenty of it.

Advice? If you haven't already done so, get your FAA Part 107 certification.

And insurance—plenty of it.
...and your homeowner's policy doesn't count! You'll need a separate business policy for flying a drone over people, which also requires every one of the riders' and spectators' written permission to fly over them, under 107.

Reactions: flyboy73
I suggest you go to the bike location where you will be making the movie. And practice, practice, practice. Capture raw footage of the area; which you might want to incorporate into the actual event footage. Have fun.

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Drone Flown Media
Perhaps this would be a good project for an autonomous flight app, i.e., Litchi or Autopilot. Run the course with a fixed speed and an option to add forward power as needed to keep up with the participants. This option could help you avoid those obstacles that surround the course. Run it multiple times before the event.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The insurance is, indeed, the kicker! Make sure those permission slips are in writing, and notarized! :cool:
Might ask the organize to add a clause to their forms that aerial photography operations will be conducted during the event and signing their forms grant permission and waives liability. Bet they already have something like that on their paperwork.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks for all the tips. It's true I didn't mention much about myself or situation.

I do have my 107, I do fly my drones quite a bit, I've been a student pilot (big planes), I'll have insurance, and I know what i can and can't do, and I absolutely don't want to crash my drone... so I won't. I have two P4's.

As someone rightly mentioned, I'm new to charging people for gigs, but am comfortable flying my drones (I'm a fast learner :)). I also have practiced doing such things as as walking along trails that are somewhat tree'd navigating the drone ahead of me thru the trees. And doing "inspections" of my roofs and other structures, flying tight circles around them, etc.

The reason I do that is for the very purpose of learning the controls so as to be second nature for me. I'm all about being skilled and prepared. And, I also want to look for work doing inspections and similar things.

I was sort've looking for more tips on technique of filming, but I realize that's hard to convey in a forum.

But I will be at the location the day before and will be practicing and scouting everything out. I also have Litchi and and will see if there are areas that will be useful for that, and get that programmed in ahead of time.

As I mentioned already, I'm all about learning to fly the drone, and I love doing so. Not all of my flying has been at 150' looking at scenery. Although that is cool too.

Thanks
Andy

Just got the actual course information for the ride. Turns out it's not a mountain bike ride. People may use mountain bikes, but it's basically just a nice ride, mostly on paved paths, in town near a golf course.
So, that will make the obstacle hazards probably less of an issue, but may have more people around.

This group does a variety of rides and this is one of their more tame ones.
Should still be fun.

Andy

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I quite like the idea. Everyone needs that first break.

I hope it is a success for you and It grows to better things.

Like it was mentioned I'd hope you wouldn't attempt to do a event without the correct procedures in place and you have identified that you haven't.

Good luck and we look forward to seeking the final cut

Regards

Sent from my SM-T560 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: clackey and auen1
Just got the actual course information for the ride. Turns out it's not a mountain bike ride. People may use mountain bikes, but it's basically just a nice ride, mostly on paved paths, in town near a golf course.
So, that will make the obstacle hazards probably less of an issue, but may have more people around.

This group does a variety of rides and this is one of their more tame ones.
Should still be fun.

Andy
Sounds like you'll be fine! Jobs like this are 90% preparation and 10% execution. You seem to have covered all the bases! Good luck! :cool:

Reactions: clackey
definitely don't do interviews or any kind of storytelling piece.

taking on something like that alone is not a good idea at all.

you'd need to hire a proper video production crew. i can't stress this enough.

I agree that doing a 'movie' is a lot more involved than getting footage. If it is what you want to do, then go for it, gotta start somewhere. But otherwise, it will be a pain in the *** for you to do alone. Either way good luck!

Reactions: eneilsen
I would go to the location, get a calendar of the event, what's going on when and where, and story board everything. Also take a bunch of videos. Even if you only use 3 seconds out of 3 minutes video is ok. I've had few jobs where I was like man I wish I had taken a little longer video or a different angle. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

make sure your're not having always the same persons in the footage, everyone riding the bike on this tour would like to see him/her at least once in the final cut.
Check the path the sun will go during this day, where is east, west and how high the sun is raising.
Verify the places you want to film, whether there will be shade, billboards, cell towers etc.

Reactions: DannyBhoy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj