My first real job, any advice?

This is not an easy project. Getting good audio is not easy and then editing is very important and not easy. Do you know or have a profesional video program. There is a reason a true pro would charge a lot for this project.

The main reason is that all the stuff videomakers are carrying cost some money. In MTB event you have to run, change lenses on the road and sometimes ride a bike. If you don t charge and break only one thing of your stuff you wont be able to do it again without loosing money. I would not do it for free regarding all the risks that could possibly happen during that day. Im doing triathlon, so I speak only regarding my own experience. Take a lot of fun too!

Sent from my SM-G900F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am just starting out in the drone video stuff too. Please post the end result. I am very curious as to how it all works out. Thank to all of those who posted the tips. I always learn from the guys on this site.

I use Final Cut Pro on my iMAC computer, and I can edit 4K with no problem, it also comes with a compressor program to reduce file size, if desired. On my Windows computer, I use Vegas Pro 13, which also handles 4K. I would think twice about using 4K, unless it is specifically asked for. You can shoot in 4K mode, but right now more often than not, you will be converting the file to a reduced format. You should talk to your customer and be prepared to talk about the different formats, and the pros and cons. Then find out what format they wanted it delivered in, MOV, AVI, MPG4

• Standard-definition television (SDTV):
  • Enhanced-definition television (EDTV):
  • High-definition television (HDTV):
    • HD (1280 × 720 progressive scan)
    • Full HDi (1920 × 1080 split into two interlaced fields of 540 lines)
    • Full HD (1920 × 1080 progressive scan)
  • Ultra-high-definition television (UHDTV):
    • 4K UHD (3840 × 2160 progressive scan)
    • 8K UHD (7680 × 4320 progressive scan)

As far as sound goes, if you are doing interviews, you will need a good set of Lavalier mics, for instance a
Sony UWPD11/30 Lavalier Microphone, Bodypack TX and Portable RX Wireless System

The receiver would get plugged into your recording device, and I personally like to use my Canon EOS Mark III DSLR, which is out of the price range for many folks but todays good video cameras are able to record sound and video, and you just have to make sure yours has a mic input. If you have more than one lavalier, and this is common when interviewing more than one person at the same time, you will usually need a sound mixer to get multiple conversations into the recording device. In order to avoid having to spend money on lighting, do your interviews indoors and under fluorescent lighting if possible. A quiet room and you are good to go. Shure also makes Lavalier systems. Another way to do this, but it requires an assistant (not a bad idea either way) is to use a shotgun mic. You can do well with a cheap kit like the Vidpro XM-55 15-Piece 11" Condenser Shotgun Kit. Buy a windscreen for it if you are going outside with it, as this will reduce or eliminate wind sounds. Using a lavalier works with other people and noise around, quite well. Using a shotgun... not as good with a lot of noise around, but ok for audience sound and directional recording.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWH

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl