My first drone, circa 1985

Reaction score
IMG_1357.JPG

Brings back a LOT of memories. We had the ASTROCAM (110 camera, singel shot etc). I had several including one that was an R/C Glider but it had a malfunction on the ejection charge and did more than eject LOL
I had one that was the Space Shuttle with Fuel Cell and SRBs. They departed at ejection and deployed a CHUTE while the shuttle was designed to land making slow, wide descending circles. I never got the shuttle trimmed out as well as it should so it make deep high speed dives usually LOL.
Shuttle.jpg

One of my favorites was the VIGILANTE dual stage that used 2 motors and topped out around 1,100' AGL. My all time favorite was the MEAN MACHINE. 6' tall and it just looked awesome ready to launch towering over all of my other rockets.

Last edited:
Thanks Big Al for the Estes link. I downloaded the 1969 catalog. Brought back many good memories. Prices seemed so much back then!

Reactions: BigAl07
I had a few of those. ..and a flyaway when upper winds carried the deployed chute from the launching field into a residential area and I never found it.

After browsing the 1969 catalog, I realize that I actually built several more models than I had recalled.

I was in 7th grade when my science teacher let me demonstrate rocket propulsion INSIDE the classroom. I put a stop at the top of the launch stick to keep the rocket from actually launching in class. The idea was that it would just go up the stick and demonstrate the propulsion. Having only outdoor launching experience, neither myself nor the teacher considered the amount of smoke that would be generated from the tiny cardboard booster upon ignition. Smoke completely filled the classroom and we had to evacuate. Hey, It wasn't something I could just shut off. LOL. My bad. And yes, the chute did deploy at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I had a few of those. ..and a flyaway when upper winds carried the deployed chute from the launching field into a residential area and I never found it.

We ended up using smaller chutes and also cut "vents" into some for this very reason.

After browsing the 1969 catalog, I realize that I actually built several more models than I had recalled.

Me too. :)
I was in 7th grade when my science teacher let me demonstrate rocket propulsion INSIDE the classroom. ...Hey, It wasn't something I could just shut off. LOL. My bad. And yes, the chute did deploy at the end.

LOL and all these years later you're still telling the story and grinning ear to ear remembering it :) That's a WIN!

Reactions: Pharm
Thanks Big Al for the Estes link. I downloaded the 1969 catalog. Brought back many good memories. Prices seemed so much back then!

Good memories indeed. I agree back them it seemed SO expensive but then again I made $1 to mow the neighbors yard LOL!

Launched a mouse in a payload capable rocket once.

Took it to a vet first and asked for a sedative. He asked if the mouse weighed at least seven pounds cause that was the minimum he could administer.

I think we were 13 years old or so.

We got laughed outa there, so launched him anyway.

He didn't make it (forgot to put fireproof wadding between the payload bay and the engine), so we switched to grasshoppers thereafter.

Built and launched a four stager once... never did find that final stage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1