My first crash was an interesting one. Help needed.

Upload the dat file to dropbox and post the link. How to retrieve a .DAT
Do not export the vision file when you do the above.

Then get the txt file off of your tablet for the flight and upload it here, then provide the link. If you were using litchi I'm not sure if that's any different for the obtaining the txt file. https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/
Thanks. Will do as soon as I'm home. I'm surprised Michael hasn't told me to yet. :)

I wasn't using Litchi. Was setting waypoints via the goapp, then did a test run which after playing back was a little off and obviously the third one was way off.

Sigh.

Here is video of the crash.

I screwed up when I threw this together and only showed the part of the WP mission where it goes to the tree.

The first part of the video is all over the place is because I was just setting the way points.

The second part of the video is shaky because that's the part where I lost control and was trying to steer it away so don't judge the eratic behavior.

It was running smooth so I really didn't notice it was off the waypoints until it didn't go through the two trees as you see on the first part and somehow I didn't put that part in the sequence. I'll fix that later and upload it but since it's already up, here.

By the time the second vid picks up, I had to take back manual control but was still it was too late. It felt like 10 minutes that I was heading for that tree.

The two trees before it that I went through on the second run (that I'll post later and meant to now) I had to save it from hitting that tree by the skin of my teeth. The video you see here is seconds after that.

Could not save it from that second tree although I saw it and had no reaction from the remote and no time to react calmly.

Just hit it. Ugh. Don't think you can't crash because I've been flying for years and this is my first. Sucks!

I shot in D-Log with a Polar Pro 16 and added a 709 LUT and no CC.

Sorry to all that hate the music but I add to put the song "Meloncholly Hill". The house the tree was on is not the one you see but the house behind it.

By the way OA was on. So much for it.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Well this has been one of the more interesting threads that I have ever read. Depending on how this turns out for you with dji, you could either start a 'go fund me' campaign or get Clooney to autograph the drone, flog it on eBay and get yourself a new one. Be interesting to see what msinger and the other clever folk can make of your data.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Hey guys!

Here is the logs from HealthyDrones. It looks a little sloppy to follow but just for the record, there are essentially a couple missions happening here. The time the mission that crashed began and ended, it started at R and ends on X (everything after that are warnings of me trying to get it once it hit the tree). I had apparently longer than I thought when I got the first "entering altitude limit mode" or whatever that error was and all I was doing was paying attention that it was off course from the set waypoints but I didn't realize that it was off course, FOR SURE, until I saw it heading to the tip of the tree. I should have realized when (if you watch the video) you can see on the part of the mission where I am setting the waypoints as shown on the video I uploaded in this thread, but on the final running mission, I had had to do a quick maneuver to have it avoid the two trees I had if fly between just maybe 30 seconds before the turn that headed toward the tree it hit. I figured it was wind or something, I had flown around here many times and have never had it give me any of these errors and maybe was flying with too much confidence?

The "enter altitude limit mode" is something I have never seen in all my years of flying and I didn't know what it meant or what it was doing when I got that warning. I am wondering if the board was confused by the valley? I really have no idea and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Again, for all intents and purposes, the WP mission began at R (that was when it was near me and I began the just recorded WP mission for the second time on this flight), before that I sometimes switch to S or Atti mode to get it back to my original location once I see the WP mission is generally what I want. So at R the mission is initiated and it begins at S, it flies without warning (but I can tell from the video that it's off course although I didn't really notice it by video at the time until again the two trees which was right before the error at T). At T I start to pay attention but still think it's flying a safe WP mission and that that warning was nothing more than a warning. So at that point I'm paying even more attention than normal. At about U and V it makes the rather sharp turn to come home and I'm thinking "something is not right, let's get the bird home and check out everything) but between W and X (46 seconds) is when it I see it heading to the tree (I have to check my video and flight summary to verify this) but at that point I see it heading to the tree and it won't respond to anything and stupid me, I'm still thinking it's following the WP mission as I often do fly-bys of tree tops and building tops but I didn't remember setting one there but by the time I realize it's going to hit the VERY tip of the tree, it was too late and I could not save it. X marks the stop of the tree hit and that was it's resting place until I received it the next day. They property owners wouldn't let me on the property until the next morning when I had a city scissor lift ready to go get it for me but it had fallen to the ground by that point.

Look pretty cut and dry if I only understood why it was a) off course from the WPs and b) why it entered this "altitude limited mode". As you can see, the altitude was plenty high and that was from where I took off, it was actually much higher if you consider the valley. Help? :)

By the way, I am rendering out the video that I uploaded earlier again so you can see with better context as it goes through the two trees what happened and then of course the crash. I will upload it as soon as it's done processing on YT right now. Thanks in advance.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-15%20at%2010.09.54%20AM_zpslrfjnf9d.jpg

Last edited:
I re-uploaded the video with more context as to where the actual waypoints went off course (using the two trees). This is what I meant to upload in the first place.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why or what happened? (By the way, the area where there are a few cars near the lookout is where I was. I was exactly where the truck with the open trunk is). I had VLOS the entire time.

It's all so annoying as I believe everything would have been okay if they would have let me get it that day and not the next morning. They were super nice but DANG!

Last edited:
Upload the dat file to dropbox and post the link. How to retrieve a .DAT
Do not export the vision file when you do the above.

Then get the txt file off of your tablet for the flight and upload it here, then provide the link. If you were using litchi I'm not sure if that's any different for the obtaining the txt file. https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/
Need you to do these two things so we can dig deeper. Healthydrones doesn't provide enough info to be useful for troubleshooting.

Need you to do these two things so we can dig deeper. Healthydrones doesn't provide enough info to be useful for troubleshooting.
My bad. Will do as soon as I get home. Sorry as you already posted this.

Thanks for the advice. Will do it ASAP.

Reactions: F3honda4me
Sometimes celebrities and their entourage (aka "friends") can be severely deficient in common sense. Granted, they DO often have security issues the average Joe doesn't have but c'mon! After retrieving your drone, there should have been no "Tina's done so and so...", etc. and apoarent mass confusion. Somebody should have simply called and told you they found it and either brought it to you or said "Meet me at the front gate." I would have added "Tell George to get off the couch and bring it to me. I'll give him a six pack and my autograph."

Several years ago I regularly dealt with a rather famous country music star (who shall remain nameless). She was surprisingly "normal" and didn't have an iota of the "I'm important" complex. She was also loaded with common sense. She has since moved out of state but I occasionally keep in touch with her. I wish all celebrities were normal like her.

Sometimes celebrities and their entourage (aka "friends") can be severely deficient in common sense. Granted, they DO often have security issues the average Joe doesn't have but c'mon! After retrieving your drone, there should have been no "Tina's done so and so...", etc. and apoarent mass confusion. Somebody should have simply called and told you they found it and either brought it to you or said "Meet me at the front gate." I would have added "Tell George to get off the couch and bring it to me. I'll give him a six pack and my autograph."

Several years ago I regularly dealt with a rather famous country music star (who shall remain nameless). She was surprisingly "normal" and didn't have an iota of the "I'm important" complex. She was also loaded with common sense. She has since moved out of state but I occasionally keep in touch with her. I wish all celebrities were normal like her.
I know it too well. The guest was Clooney and some of his people (apparently). I wish I never mentioned that as it has been a distraction on this thread.

Fact of the matter is what you said is exactly what happened.

Whoever owns the house wouldn't let me retrieve the bird from the tree where there might not have been any damage.

I made arrangements after some discussion and they found out I wasn't popurazzi that they would let me get it before Tuesday noon when their guests were leaving. (Which would be the next day at 9am).

I had set up a scisssor lift from the city to get it from the tree at 9am the next day and they agreed to let me because the guests wouldn't be there.

As I'm brushing my teeth at 8am for the 9am meeting, I get a call from the man of the house "are you Adam?". "oh hey, good news, we have your drone but it doesn't look in great shape" which leads me to believe it fell from the tree overnight and sustained more if not all damage. I heard the original chick yelling in the BG "oh he knows he knows, he's meeting Tina in an hour". "Thank you, I'll see you soon".

Then at the gate is Tina with my P4 as shown above. I have no idea where and when the damage occurred but by the pics, I would imagine the fall.

Anyhow, is what it is and I still have no idea how it happened. Hopefully once I get that Honda said to upload, I'll get to the bottom of it.

Be well.

Last edited:
So I uploaded the logs to PhantomHelp and I can't make much more info about anything than from what I already posted and from running back the mission on my iPad. How should I post it here? Just copy and paste?

I am trying to copy and paste but it won't do it properly. I don't have the assistant available to me now on the link that was provided kindly by Honda.

I will post it from the Numbers PDF export shortly. Thanks!

Here is the PDF.

Please understand while reading this that this while one flight was essentially 3 WP missions with the third being the crash into the top of the tree that was off course and it crashed at the 10:36 mark or 10:46.

Whatever X was above.

Is there any way to upload the flight info with the animation from the DJI Go app?

First time Ive ever seen that "Warning: Altitude limit error" and why was I getting that at such a plenty high hight? Confused,

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-13_[11-19-51].pdf
    4 MB · Views: 174
I uploaded the logs from HealthyDrones and PhantomHelp. Where is the help? Lol. Nobody likes me. :(

I like you. Too bad I can't help you with logs.

In a different direction, why do you use DJI Go for waypoint missions? With your experience and knowledge, I see you using Autopilot.

I never used Go for wp missions, but I can only imagine that having to fly the mission first to log the points, and the bird stopping at each point during the mission has its limitations for your use.

Where is the PhantomHelp link? Produce that and maybe someone can help.
Is post 35 not it?

I couldn't figure out what to do with it so I brought it in Numbers and exported it as a PDF. What am I supposed to do. This whole crashing business is new to me.

I like you. Too bad I can't help you with logs.

In a different direction, why do you use DJI Go for waypoint missions? With your experience and knowledge, I see you using Autopilot.

I never used Go for wp missions, but I can only imagine that having to fly the mission first to log the points, and the bird stopping at each point during the mission has its limitations for your use.
A couple questions. How can you see I use Autopilot? Lol.

Also, I don't often use WP missions at all unless I am doing a quick whip around something and it doesn't stop at the location where you are marking I don't think and even if it did, I just hit the C1 (mark WP while in motion). I don't often fly WP missions unless I want the same exact flight on a couple takes.

I was just trying to record a couple back plates and when doing so, it should run the same mission exactly, the 3 times I set it. If I was running some complicated mission, I probably would use AP or Litchi, but since I am still in warranty and I have never had a problem with the GoApp for quick WP missions, I was just trying to get in and out in a half hour or so.

I didn't expect it to go off course for a reason that I am still trying to figure out but I would imagine it was because of that odd "Altitude limit mode entered" thing which I don't even know what means and have never seen on any flight or mission on any of my DJI products.

I am sorry about being a noob crasher but I don't know what I am supposed to do at PhantomHelp other than what I already did. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT