My DJI repair experience March 2017

Reaction score
Hey fellow fliers,

Just wanted to give you guys an idea of the timeline was like for my repair.

I was having obstacle avoidance errors, I took my bird to a local vendor where I purchased it. After they looked at it, they suggested I send it back to DJI. Fair enough. I wrote a thorough note explaining the problem, along with a copy of the original receipt. I also provided a copy of the log showing confirming no crashes. When I started the process, I opened an RMA but did not send the bird back for a few weeks due to my busy schedule. I sent only the copter, nothing else.

DJI received the bird on March 18, and I had it back by the 30th. I never once contacted them to check on progress. The bird I received in return was not the same one I sent in. It does appear to be perfectly new though. They also included an extra set of propellers with the return.

I am perfectly happy with the process. I am a professional photographer, and the quad is just another tool for me to use. I believe in redundancy, I always carry extra cameras, lenses and cards with me on the job. I don’t have a back up quad, but will get another P4 in the near future. A little bulky to carry two, but if it is your living, you always need a back up plan.

I was perfectly happy with the service provided. Thanks DJI, appreciate you guys.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 9.22.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 9.22.16 AM.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 417
Reactions: tak5501
Hey fellow fliers,

I was having obstacle avoidance errors, I took my bird to a local vendor where I purchased it. After they looked at it, they suggested I send it back to DJI. Fair enough. I wrote a thorough note explaining the problem, along with a copy of the original receipt. I also provided a copy of the log showing confirming no crashes. When I started the process, I opened an RMA but did not send the bird back for a few weeks due to my busy schedule. I sent only the copter, nothing else.

DJI received the bird on March 18, and I had it back by the 30th. I never once contacted them to check on progress. The bird I received in return was not the same one I sent in. It does appear to be perfectly new though. They also included an extra set of propellers with the return.

I am perfectly happy with the process. I am a professional photographer, and the quad is just another tool for me to use. I believe in redundancy, I always carry extra cameras, lenses and cards with me on the job. I don’t have a back up quad, but will get another P4 in the near future. A little bulky to carry two, but if it is your living, you always need a back up plan.

I was perfectly happy with the service provided. Thanks DJI, appreciate you guys.
Thank you for sharing your experience. My P4pro failed the camera sensor and DJI just told me it's under guaranty.

Flying both P4pro and MavicPro for weddings (my company do Photography and Video) I suggest you to add a Mavic for backup. You can have it in your pack in the same place you carry a 70-200F2.8 and quality is acceptable.

We are really happy with both birds.

Reactions: PLPhoto
You are Very Very lucky! Most of the ones who post here have quite the opposite response.
Good luck!
Jim
WA5TEF

Thank you for sharing your experience. My P4pro failed the camera sensor and DJI just told me it's under guaranty.

Flying both P4pro and MavicPro for weddings (my company do Photography and Video) I suggest you to add a Mavic for backup. You can have it in your pack in the same place you carry a 70-200F2.8 and quality is acceptable.

We are really happy with both birds.

I didn't realize the Mavic was so small...
Might make for a good backup. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: slaturuguay
Hey fellow fliers,

When I started the process, I opened an RMA but did not send the bird back for a few weeks due to my busy schedule. I sent only the copter, nothing else.

I too had a good experience, got mine back today, a total of 3wks to turn around to replace a cracked body shell round the battery opening.

upload_2017-4-7_20-51-47.png

Reactions: jsposito
PLPhoto, I just saw your post. I want to remind you that you need to cancel your registration on your drone you sent to DJI and get another registration number for your new one. I had the same thing happen to me regard them sending me another drone that wasn't the one I sent them. Your still responsible for your old drone until you unregister it. Very important. :)

PLPhoto, I just saw your post. I want to remind you that you need to cancel your registration on your drone you sent to DJI and get another registration number for your new one. I had the same thing happen to me regard them sending me another drone that wasn't the one I sent them. Your still responsible for your old drone until you unregister it. Very important. :)
Thanks for the heads up on that. I forgot that I need to get that done..

Reactions: MSUDawg
So how did you cancel the old SN? I see nothing in DJI site to facilitate that.

No problem my friend. When I went through this process with DJI, I called the California phone number and spoke to a manager making a request that they reimburse me for the registering of the new drone. I wasn't trying to sound like a prick or anything but it was the principle of the situation. What was very strange with my repair was that I was given an invoice that showed a "repair" of a Main Computer Board which was a charge of $180.00 was to be billed but since the drone was only 1 month old, it fell under the warranty so no charge. But they still sent me another drone, not new but used.
The manage told me that they would check into the reimbursement but I haven't heard anything. Oh well. Lol. Anyways, you are responsible for your old drone until you unregister it. So make sure to cover yourself asap.

So how did you cancel the old SN? I see nothing in DJI site to facilitate that.
Hi John, no, I didn't cancel the SN, but the registration number via the FAA site. You know, the number that every drone has to have if it weighs more than .55 lbs and less than 55lbs. That's the one I changed and you do both, the registering and unregistering, via the FAA site. :)

Hi John, no, I didn't cancel the SN, but the registration number via the FAA site. You know, the number that every drone has to have if it weighs more than .55 lbs and less than 55lbs. That's the one I changed and you do both, the registering and unregistering, via the FAA site. :)
Oh that. When registering with the FAA, you are registering yourself with the FAA, not the drone. You are required to put that assigned ID number on all the drones you own. There is no drone serial number associated. If you simply remove the FAA ID number label from the drone, you're good. In my case my number is installed on my Phantom/Mavic batteries, visible only when the battery is removed (acceptable per FAA). When I sent my craft in for repair/exchange, I didn't send them a battery. DJI doesn't want it, or need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jogforfitness
Oh that. When registering with the FAA, you are registering yourself with the FAA, not the drone. You are required to put that assigned ID number on all the drones you own. There is no drone serial number associated. If you simply remove the FAA ID number label from the drone, you're good. In my case my number is installed on my Phantom/Mavic batteries, visible only when the battery is removed (acceptable per FAA). When I sent my craft in for repair/exchange, I didn't send them a battery. DJI doesn't want it, or need it.

I'm not doubt what your saying but I might need to look into this further. I might be wrong but I believe when I registered my old drone and the new drone, I included my Phantom's SN in both registration processes. I am assuming by doing so, that would make the registration number unique to the drone, not the operator.

I'm not doubt what your saying but I might need to look into this further. I might be wrong but I believe when I registered my old drone and the new drone, I included my Phantom's SN in both registration processes. I am assuming by doing so, that would make the registration number unique to the drone, not the operator.
No, they don't ask for the drone serial number. You can put your registration number on 10 different drones.

Reactions: MSUDawg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic