My advice to new owners

So after waiting 17 mins to speak to Maplin customer service I finall got told basically if there is a fault they would have to send it back regardless for a test to make sure it's a manufacturer fault which I can understand in respect as if the store just took it back and it was ok I guess it's money lost.

Anyway I basically need to test it in another location now before I decided to send it back, been told though if there is a fault I can pay the extra to get the advance so thats what I will be doing.

Although my thought's are if I do continue to get these errors and they test it and find nothing what could I actually do? I mean if they send me it back but I continue to get the errors? It's all what ifs at the moment but I could end up with a £400 pound paper weight . .

Paul is there anywhere else you can recommend to calibrate compass a test it further? Taking it to Crosby beach sound great but after two failed RTH I'm worried it will go swimming in the Mersey haha

Morning Bryan,

I am 99% certain you seem to have the dreaded P3S compass problem, that Paul and myself had.

IMO a repair on a brand new 450 quid drone is unacceptable. Thankfully you are in the position to reject your drone, I wasn't. Paul on the other hand, took matters in to his own hands and fixed it. I don't have the confidence or ability to do this and whilst I'm happy it worked for Paul, I couldn't recommend what he so successfully did.

Now you've tasted a phantom, id say take the P3S back, reject it and upgrade to the P3A. When my standard comes back (hopefully repaired), I will fly her over the winter and the next price drop I see on the advanced, will see me sell my P3S.

Good luck and happy flying. I'm glad this post may have helped you or at least alerted you to the situation.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm basically in the position were they have to send it back for DJI to look at before they allow me to exchange or refund at this point. I guess this is to check if there is a fault and I haven't broke it to get a refund or something along those lines. The retailer has told me thats only thing I can do unfortunately, 14 day wait if my new location tests fail :(

Don't think I can argue the point as I do feel a less than 2 week old drone with a fault should be exchanged or refunded straight away.

Last edited:
I feel your pain Bryan.

I am hoping someone with a better understanding of consumer rights might be able to assist with getting your drone rejected.

I may ring consumer helpline or something, surely if DJI think it needs a repair after i posted it on their forums then I could at least show the retailer that they have said it needs a repair thus making the exchange a quicker process.

Little update!

Just took my drone outside my house onto a small grass hill , it's about 200 feet from were I've been flying it, turned on and I tried a manual take off only to get a message ' compass stuck, restart aircraft. If persist than contact DJI'

Thought that's definitely confirmation of it being broke, calibrated it . .still same, next minute it powered up and I flew for about 20 mins with alot of compass errors.

I can't believe I will have to wait 2 weeks for DJI to tell me yeah its broke!!

Still going to take it to beach tomorrow if weather is ok and test for sure. Then it will be going straight back to the shop, I'm going to give them a bit of stick and show them the logs. Might even ring DJI now and see what they say.

DJI were a complete waste of time, so I've called trading standards and waiting for a call back but could be Monday till I hear back from them. I think I will take it for a test on the beach tomorrow and see if any errors happen, if they do I'm going to hang fire till trading standards call me back and see what they.

Either way it's going to be exchange for advance or a 2 week wait while DJI take a look at it. Doubt it will be two weeks as Xmas is nearly here too :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Necroscope
Please don't test it tomorrow. With a compass error you will get a fly away and with the breeze by the sea that's a possibility. Just screen record the compass error on your phone as a back up

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Necroscope
Bryan, if you're still heading out tomorrow let me know. i'll meet you.
Otherwise I'm heading to Ainsdale for a few longer range tests, then maybe out for some proper flights

Hi Paul,

Looking to get to Crosby beach for before 2pm, that's if weather is ok of course. I'm waiting to hear from trading standards so I'm gonna hold back till I've spoken to them. If they are able to help me with getting a exchange or refund without going through the pain of waiting for Maplin to return it etc then I could get it sorted Tuesday. If not then I will have to just bite the bullet and let them send it off . . . .

Yep, also see your post on DJI - you'll get it sorted one way or the other.
I'm flying tomorrow - weather looks spot on

I'll do a few runs in the morning then try to head to Crosby

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    75 KB · Views: 192
OK, Bryan. I just got back from a test flight at Ainsdale (all perfect ;) ) - I'll head to Crosby shortly, should also be there about 1:30.
Meet near the big wooden cross thing?

We will probably there within next half hour as already on the bus to crosby from bootle.

Not familiar with the beach sorry, haven't been there for years. I'm sure I will see u

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj