My advice to new owners

Reaction score
There are some sour grapes in this post on my part, but hopefully it will help out some other new owners that may find themselves inadvertently in the same position as I.

My P3S is 6 weeks old and will be going in for repair hopefully in the not too distant future.

I’m new to DJI, but not new to flying. My P3S is the biggest investment in the hobby I have made to date. A friend recommended DJI to me over Parrot for their superior product and customer support……….

My P3S has been having compass problems from very early doors, in fact day 1. Initially and naïvely due to the complexity of the unit, I assumed I was doing something wrong and as with all new toys (of which I know this isn’t really) I persevered, until even I had to acknowledge that my pride and joy had a problem.

Jessops where I brought my Phantom from in the UK, initially pointed me towards DJI support. They also informed me that as my phantom was outside its 2 week return period,, that the warranty would be handled by DJI (hands washed Jessops, thanks).

As you can probably guess, I’m not too happy that an item such as this, is in need of repair within a 6 week window. I have to add that its not be crashed or abused (something I can imagine DJI see quiet often).

As I suspect all owners would prefer, I felt it should have been replaced as it’s never been right. I have an email from DJI where they acknowledge the problem was there from day one, but that company policy dictated that as it’s outside of the 14 day return window, that the offer of repair was all they could do! How did they word it “As per policy, we will repair the unit and the decision is final.”.

SO, it is my strongest suggestion that at the slightest sign of a problem, as well as trying to fix it yourself with Forums etc (which we all do), that you log it with support, especially within this 14 day period.

You never know, it may just get you the safe flying new phantom that we all want (that hasn’t been repaired).

Thanks for reading and happy flying.

Reactions: BillW50 and hexagon
I had a look at your earlier threads and it is not clear if you actually managed to perform a successful compass calibration. What is your compass mod value (settings, advanced, sensors- in the GO app)?

Does the AC seem to fly ok?

Is the radar pointer matching the orientation of the AC in flight?

Unfortunately (for them) the retailer can't just pass the buck like they have been. They took your money and it's their responsibility to help you, store policy or whatever they may like to try and hide behind cannot override obligations prescribed on them by consumer law. This seems like bad form, especially if you brought it to their attention early. If the compass is dodgy this bird was DOA.

Good Morning "WTB", thanks for the reply.

I always calibrate the compass before flight, as I usually never fly in the same place twice. I've never had a problem with this calibration, or with calibration of the IMU after FW update. I cant confirm the mod value (I'm not even sure what this is TBH). I can have a look tonight if you want me too? You've already asked more questions than support did whilst I repeatedly kept timing out with them.

I can however view my flight logs and now that you mention it, NO the radar pointer doesn't match the flight path..............again something I've not been asked before or indeed noticed, so thanks.

I think the problem I have inadvertently feel in to , is that I informed them outside the 14 day period. This is why I'd like to advise other new owners to log problems with support regardless of how trivial it may initially seem. If forums etc can help and the problem is fixed without support intervening, then nothing is lost. It may however stop someone else being done over (that how I feel at least).

Thanks again.

I had the same issue. DJI offered a RMA repair, which would have involved sending to Netherlands for a fix and being without for 3 or more weeks.
Instead I returned to Argos within their 30 day returns time for a replacement. They also wanted me to accept the RMA, which I declined

Reactions: Necroscope
I'd still put the acid on jessops. They are a big outfit, no skin off their nose to swap it out for you and get DJI to make good with them. Stay calm and explain it was no good from first flight. I would be suorised if they don't make good- happy customers bring new and repeat business.

Re compass mod value open DJI GO with the AC connected and under the sensors tab in advanced settings you will see a mod value for the compass. You have done an IMU cal so you have been to this page in the menu before. Within the range of low 1200's to 1600's is generally normal and while it doesn't rule out an issue it does give some confidence you have a good calibration and the AC isn't in a bad magnetic environment for reliable operation if the compass.

Sound advice, especially when new. Worst that can happen is a little embarrassment if it was user error.

Re compass calibration, I'm with those who recommend that it be done sparingly. I took my bird on a trip recently and only calibrated once. I was flying in mountainous areas hundreds of km apart with no compass errors.

I'd still put the acid on jessops. They are a big outfit, no skin off their nose to swap it out for you and get DJI to make good with them. Stay calm and explain it was no good from first flight. I would be suorised if they don't make good- happy customers bring new and repeat business.

Re compass mod value open DJI GO with the AC connected and under the sensors tab in advanced settings you will see a mod value for the compass. You have done an IMU cal so you have been to this page in the menu before. Within the range of low 1200's to 1600's is generally normal and while it doesn't rule out an issue it does give some confidence you have a good calibration and the AC isn't in a bad magnetic environment for reliable operation if the compass.

Thanks WTB, I will check this tonight and report back (just for giggles).

I have tried Jessops again, but I haven't heard back yet, I'm not holding my breath though.

I had the same issue. DJI offered a RMA repair, which would have involved sending to Netherlands for a fix and being without for 3 or more weeks.
Instead I returned to Argos within their 30 day returns time for a replacement. They also wanted me to accept the RMA, which I declined

I saw your post Paul, you did the right thing. Jessops haven't been as accommodating..........

Is your replacement OK?

I haven't had a chance to test yet, hopefully Saturday will be clear.

If you paid jessops by credit card you may also be covered under section 75 relating to faulty goods.

Also, depending how you bought the phantom uk law allows 30 days to reject certain items, I think jessops may be putting "policy" ahead of law

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I haven't had a chance to test yet, hopefully Saturday will be clear.

If you paid jessops by credit card you may also be covered under section 75 relating to faulty goods.

Also, depending how you bought the phantom uk law allows 30 days to reject certain items, I think jessops may be putting "policy" ahead of law

Good luck for Saturday then Paul.

I made use of Jessops 0% finance (rightly or wrongly). I've now contacted them (V12) and they are raising a complaint on my behalf.

Unfortunately I am also outside of the 30 day period.

Reactions: PaulSouthport
I checked my compass bias after a calibration prior to a short flight this afternoon.

It was around 1582 and it was fluctuating....

Jessops have blown me off and I've requested a repair from DJI. I've tried my best to get people to play fair, it's clear it's not going to happen, so it's onwards and upwards with the repair.

That's a shame. Jessops really should be more mindful of their customers, before they go the way of Woolies....
One of the reasons I didn't want to the do the DJI RMA was it meant shipping to Netherlands, then waiting for it to return.... all the while with no guaranteed outcome.

In fact, my Plan B was to purchase a new compass module and fit myself. They come prefit in the leg as a unit and it's an easy fit. Had Argos been as unhelpful as Jessops, that would have been my next action. the RMA from DJI includes a UPS shipping label valid for 30 days, so a bit of time to try alternatives.

The compass module was about £12

What was the original issue? I have calibrated my bird once, some 9 months and numerous flights ago. I have never calibrated the IMU. I think some people get caught up in all that nonsense.

That's a shame. Jessops really should be more mindful of their customers, before they go the way of Woolies....
One of the reasons I didn't want to the do the DJI RMA was it meant shipping to Netherlands, then waiting for it to return.... all the while with no guaranteed outcome.

In fact, my Plan B was to purchase a new compass module and fit myself. They come prefit in the leg as a unit and it's an easy fit. Had Argos been as unhelpful as Jessops, that would have been my next action. the RMA from DJI includes a UPS shipping label valid for 30 days, so a bit of time to try alternatives.

The compass module was about £12

Hi Paul. I'm not a massive fan of sending it off for numerous reasons.

I also considered a self repair the only thing stopping me was voiding the remaining warranty.

Hope the weather is favourable for you, let us know how you get on.

What was the original issue? I have calibrated my bird once, some 9 months and numerous flights ago. I have never calibrated the IMU. I think some people get caught up in all that nonsense.

Hi firestars. Continued compass errors from new, that I didn't report to DJI quick enough.

I don't think it would void the warranty, the wire runs down the leg to the compass, so remove the wire from the new leg, and reunse the old one and plug into the new compass module.
If still needed to RMA, reverse the procedure. No need to open the shell.

It really shouldn't be needed on a new Phantom, but to my mind is less painful than sending to DJI.

Not been out yet to test, clocks ticking and the wifes slowing me down.....

First of all.. jessops is breaking the law. You have 14 day MONEY REFUND....after 14 days you get 30 days REPLACEMENT warranty.

Secondly in England all electrical goods have a 6 years warranty (5 years for Scotland) where people believe its actually just a year warranty.

If you had this product less then a month don't ask for an exchange....DEMAND an exchange and make it 100% clear that the receipt is a legal contract with the store that sold the product NOT DJI

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: PaulSouthport
Managed to get out to try the replacement Phantom.
1st flight was fairly normal.
Temperature dropped a few degreesn then compass errors came more regularly, until eventually the compass didn't reset and it stayed in Atti.
I asked previously if the compass was suceptible to low temps, DJI didn't reply. However, in all cases my errors happen as the temp drops below 7C, with the frequency increasing the lower the temp drops. Maybe a coincidence....

By the last flight it was exactly as if I was flying the replaced P3 - I could cause the errors at will by rotating clockwise, error always occured at the exact same direction.

Pretty hacked off!
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

... and to add, as the compass became more erratic the arrow in the dji go radar became more offset, upto about 10 degrees out to clockwise and stopping from forward flight would induce a small Toilet bowl.

Managed to get out to try the replacement Phantom.
1st flight was fairly normal.
Temperature dropped a few degreesn then compass errors came more regularly, until eventually the compass didn't reset and it stayed in Atti.
I asked previously if the compass was suceptible to low temps, DJI didn't reply. However, in all cases my errors happen as the temp drops below 7C, with the frequency increasing the lower the temp drops. Maybe a coincidence....

By the last flight it was exactly as if I was flying the replaced P3 - I could cause the errors at will by rotating clockwise, error always occured at the exact same direction.

Pretty hacked off!
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Understandably so! That flight looks like one of mine!

What FW were you running?

I wonder if there is a bad batch of compass out there?

What now?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic