My advice to new owners

That's 1.7.90, the newest FW.

I may just buy a new compass and fit it. I have seen a few threads whee that appeared to resolve the problem.
I won't get another opportunity to test for a while, at the UK Drone Show tomorrow so may put my cold compass theory to a DJI rep in person

First of all.. jessops is breaking the law. You have 14 day MONEY REFUND....after 14 days you get 30 days REPLACEMENT warranty.

Secondly in England all electrical goods have a 6 years warranty (5 years for Scotland) where people believe its actually just a year warranty.

If you had this product less then a month don't ask for an exchange....DEMAND an exchange and make it 100% clear that the receipt is a legal contract with the store that sold the product NOT DJI

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Exactly .... and if no satisfaction - check out local Trading Standards Office and report it. They love this sort of thing.

EU law actually is the factor here - it modified the old English Law years ago to make 6yrs Fit for Purpose.

Nigel

Reactions: Neon Euc
Lurking here but had a thought for new owners with problems.

By chance did you use a VISA, MasterCARD, or AMEX card with extended purchase protection benefits. Doubles warranty period.
Worth checking out.

That's 1.7.90, the newest FW.

I may just buy a new compass and fit it. I have seen a few threads whee that appeared to resolve the problem.
I won't get another opportunity to test for a while, at the UK Drone Show tomorrow so may put my cold compass theory to a DJI rep in person

Hi Paul, how was the show? I wanted to go, but had prior engagements. Any bargains?

Did you get anything from DJI on the cold compass theory?

Hi, show was great, lots of temptation but I resisted, too close to xmas and holiday to spend.
The DJI reps were more marketing than technical so couldn't really confirm anything, so I've ordered a new compass from Heliguy to test.

I'm off this Friday so weather permitting I'll test then

Hey all,

New to flying drones and the forum but saw this thread and became more concerned. Got my P3S from Maplin in Liverpool City Centre the Friday just gone, admittedly I'm little disappointed I didn't spend extra £200 for the Advance but the range would be the only reward for me, anyway the compass error may be on my drone.
I'm flying in a field around a very built up urban area so lots of houses and shops etc so I did expect my first two flights to bring back a distance of about 1000 feet but both flights and gave me compass errors. They don't happen all the way through the flight but it did happen a couple of times in both flights. I put it down to maybe lots of interference around me but after seeing this thread I'm unsure what I should do?

My calibration worked as the lights showed me green, there was a instance of the drone going over trees and losing signal and me getting pretty worried as my RTH wouldn't work but I managed to get it back.

any advice guys?

Cheers

Morning Bryan.

In the first instance contact support and get it logged. They will ask you to confirm all FW updates are applied. They will then ask you to fly in multiple locations. You're calibrating the compass so that's good.

After you've done all this I suspect they will ask you to send it in for repair. If you want upload your logs to "healthdrones".

You've then got to decide if you're happy to have a new drone repaired. As Paul on this forum found out a new drone replaced under the 14 day money back guarantee, may have the same problem.

I'm glad this post may have helped you, keep us posted. I am hoping to send my drone in today for repair. the RMA process is a PITA.........

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, I have yet to fly it elsewhere so I need to do that asap before contacting support I guess, interestingly though the lads in Maplin store said they have on sight DJI repairs back in headoffice so the repair process is taken care by them so no need for me to send it off anywhere if it should come to that.

Going to try to get out the city on Saturday for further tests but fingers crossed it's just the location.

The compass calibration is susceptible to any nearby metal. For example, I won't attempt to calibrate near reinforced concrete, metal fences, cars etc.
As a test, take it to a remote location - field, middle of park, beach etc and try there. Hover about 2m up slowly rotate clockwise several times and then anti clock several times. If you get the compass error try to determine if it happens at the same rotation each time.

For the record, after fitting my new compass I flew 200 miles away without recalibration and had no compass errors

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Necroscope
Thanks for reply Paul, I'm really hoping its the area I'm in, can't imagine trying to replace the compass. Can you recommend a good place to test range and the compass near the liverpool?

Yeah just thought about there, any open field's around? Can I ask did your compass errors happen throughout the flight or did it happen in places?

They could happen anywhere, but only if I rotated the phantom clockwise having calibrated CCW, or vice versa - and always when pointing in the direction the calibration stopped.

Open fields? not so many that aren't private property - I tend to go up Parbold Hill or head into Lancs

The compass calibration is susceptible to any nearby metal. For example, I won't attempt to calibrate near reinforced concrete, metal fences, cars etc.
As a test, take it to a remote location - field, middle of park, beach etc and try there. Hover about 2m up slowly rotate clockwise several times and then anti clock several times. If you get the compass error try to determine if it happens at the same rotation each time.

For the record, after fitting my new compass I flew 200 miles away without recalibration and had no compass errors

That's not how the compass calibration should be done. It needs to be rotated on its Z axis 360 degrees, and then turned nose down and rotated 360 degrees on the center/z axis. Page 45 and 46 of the P3 4K manual. Page 41 ans 42 of the P3 Standard manual. Interesting that your method seems to work for you. I'd stick with the manual's myslef.

They could happen anywhere, but only if I rotated the phantom clockwise having calibrated CCW, or vice versa - and always when pointing in the direction the calibration stopped.

Open fields? not so many that aren't private property - I tend to go up Parbold Hill or head into Lancs

Definitely need to get to a open area to test this, I've only flown it on a playing field which is surrounded by houses shops etc so it could be that or the fact that the field had several goal posts there. Really hoping it's not a faulty compass, I should get it these flights done sooner rather than later.

You mentioned no fly zones in Liverpool? Apart from near Liverpool airport is there a map online to show where the areas are?

On a different note have you looked into those control mods?

Sorry stuka75, perhaps I should have been clearer, I meant after doing a calibration, test by hovering and rotating, not calibrating in the air - that would be a bad idea!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.