Music on YouTube Video

Reaction score
I have posted videos to YouTube and tried to add music files and it usually gets rejected over copyright laws. I found this link on YouTube that allows you check and see if a song can be used on YouTube or not I was wondering if anyone has used it.

YouTube

Reactions: mike_ks
I have posted videos to YouTube and tried to add music files and it usually gets rejected over copyright laws. I found this link on YouTube that allows you check and see if a song can be used on YouTube or not I was wondering if anyone has used it.

YouTube
You will add info about artist in description for most songs, or just add instrumental version like me

Reactions: Guitarman
You will add info about artist in description for most songs, or just add instrumental version like me

Beautiful video and great soft music. As a 62 year old Guitarist rocking all my life. I hear different music in my head. That's just my 2 cents. I have watch so many videos and they make me think of a good rock song would sound like. You mention the artist in the comment. Does that satisfy YouTube?

Music Copyright is not administered by Youtube but by robots that identify tracks,

You can reduce 'robots' identification by 'masking' the CR music but its only a partial solution.

Best is to access 'Free Music Archive' or similar to avoid these problems ....

You go to their sites ... put in limits such as Rock ... Instrumental etc ... download and then use.

Nigel

As long monetise option under your video is disabled you can use any music

Rubbish .... not all CR will allow that.

Nigel

Reactions: JoBe
Rubbish .... not all CR will allow that.

Nigel
Correct, even NON MONETIZED YT channels cannot play any music from specific artists. Don't believe me? Try using Don Henley or Otis Redding music in a non-monetized YT video.

Reactions: JoBe
Wrong!

It feels like this forum has more and more misinformation. Is it because everyone with experience has moved on to P4-s and Mavics?

Reactions: mike_ks
Music Copyright is not administered by Youtube but by robots that identify tracks,

You can reduce 'robots' identification by 'masking' the CR music but its only a partial solution.

Best is to access 'Free Music Archive' or similar to avoid these problems ....

You go to their sites ... put in limits such as Rock ... Instrumental etc ... download and then use.

Nigel
^^ This ^^

Speaking as a lifelong professional musician, here's a few thoughts. Yes, many tracks can be used if you don't monetize your video. Bots will ID the song, and any potential revenue will go to the copyright holder, but your video will not be taken down.

Mentioning the artist in the comments is irrelevant. If the video gets flagged they won't care if you say you're using it with good intent. Cover versions and instrumentals might not get flagged, but I also expect the algorithms will continue getting better at identifying songs. Plus there's always a chance if the bots don't catch you a real live person will.

I would never expect any big name artists to allow this kind of use, so don't even bother trying. They will take down your video in these cases. There are sources for royalty-free music as mentioned, and you could try the youtube video editor, it has music as well. Some video editing software also comes with some music you can use. Or ask a musician you know to compose some music for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
Speaking as a lifelong professional musician, here's a few thoughts. Yes, many tracks can be used if you don't monetize your video. Bots will ID the song, and any potential revenue will go to the copyright holder, but your video will not be taken down.

Mentioning the artist in the comments is irrelevant. If the video get's flagged they won't care is you say you're using it with good intent. Cover versions and instrumentals might not get flagged, but I also expect the algorithms will continue getting better as identifying songs. Plus there's always a chance if the bots don't catch you a real live person will.

I would never expect any big name artists to allow this kind of use, so don't even bother trying. They will take down your video in these cases. There are sources for royalty-free music as mentioned, and you could try the youtube video editor, it has music as well. Some video editing software also comes with some music you can use. Or ask a musician you know to compose some music for you.
Great insight. Thanks for posting. :)

Sorry I supplied reason for CR violation ...

Please strike me of your Christmas Card List .... ;)

Nigel

Reactions: Oso
No, I never used the OPs youtube music check link. It looks like a good source. Good list of famous songs that are actually usable.

Sorry, OP, copyright trips my trigger, especially when I get the sense some people (not you) want everything for free.

Reactions: Guitarman and Oso
Not to start argument ... but I have many LP's and later I wanted to play same on my car / boat radio ........... I downloaded MP3 versions .... Now I am a criminal !

Nigel

Just to add ........... I now have a record player that transfers all 'Vinyl records" to MP3 .....

Can you imagine the heaven i am in ??

Nigel

I use to think I was doing the artist a favor by using their music without monetizing, since they get the ad revenue. However I've stopped doing that and decided to monetize my channel next year after I get a good collection of videos with royalty free music. I've been using AudioBlocks.com, however I'm looking for something better. AudioBlocks is good, but I'm always looking for a better deal. I really don't want to mention anyone's name in my videos, like BenSound.com requires, I'd rather pay a small one time fee.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4