MP4 or MOV?

M

Melvoid

I had a repair recently on my P3A. They turned it into a P3P with a new camera, so for the first time, I dug deeper into the settings and found the default movie setting. I can choose between MP4 and MOV. My editor will take either (it was set for mov), but I'm wondering if one is better than the other.

Thanks in advance.

ms

Video quality wise makes little difference..MOV was developed by Apple so if you are using a Mac it would be the way to go as their systems support it better. MP4 is more widely used however one can convert easily between the two so take your pick.
Read all about it....

As Meta4 says .... at end of day it all depends on how well your Video Editor handles it.

I don't have all singing ... dancing games busting machine so with Win10 - I find MP4 is handled just a little quicker with the basic editors I use. But it really is based on the editor you use.

The thing that matters is the codec used inside either the “.mov” or the “.mp4”. Some Phantoms give the choice between h.264 and h.265. h.264 is probably the best choice for most pilots. h.265 gives the same quality as h.264, with much smaller files. It is, however, much tougher on playback equipment, both hardware and editing.

the file suffixes just describe the container used to house the encoded video, and make no difference on most modern PCs or tablets.

Thanks for all the replies. Mine defaulted to .MOV. If I recall correctly I had to load some driver for Vegas Pro to read it. So, fooling with settings recently, I discovered that I could make it record as .MP4. I agree, I see no difference.

I found other helpful settings as well. The camera tilt can be dampened at the beginning and end, as well as slowed overall, so moving up and down are much smoother and, therefore, easier on the eye. Here's the first test of that:

Thanks again to all.

What a beautiful setting and very good video, shows it off very well!
If I lived there I'd have the water wheel working!!

Reactions: mwc13
What a beautiful setting and very good video, shows it off very well!
If I lived there I'd have the water wheel working!!
Thanks. I wish I'd flown a bit farther upstream. I might go back soon. It's been snowing lately, so it may make for a whole 'nother look.

Anyway, they seem to let the wheel spin when someone is using the property. I think you can rent the open area across the creek for weddings or things, and I've been past when it's in use and the wheel is then spinning. Probably less wear and tear than if it's constantly spinning.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj