motors wont start after gps module upgrade fail

Reaction score
hi guys, new to the forum and need some help from you drone gurus! i have a phantom 2 vision plus v3 and have been flying for a while ( also have a phantom 1 v2 ) so background to this is a bit long winded but anyway i was using the litchi app to make a little promo video flying around outside my company premises and wanted to do a circuit around the building using the orbit mode. it kind of worked but half way round the circuit it kind of lost its way and stopped then tried to adjust itself but it just stopped and stayed there and i had to regain control and bring the bird back in. this happened a few times using orbit mode and led me to suspect the gps module was maybe a bit suspect. doing a bit of reading the early phantoms did have issues with gps so i bought the black ops kit with new antenna and well, to be frank i mucked up the soldering of the new antenna and looks like i bricked the module! ive bought a replacement and am waiting on it arriving but after putting the bird back together and trying to start the motors they wont fire up!! will the motors not start if the gps module is toast or has something else happened now? i put the module back in the shell and plugged it back in but only get blinking amber lights now. i can connect to the camera and move it up and down using the wheel on the controller and get the camera image on the dji go app but the motors wont fire by pushing the sticks to the centre? any help very appreciated as im now paranoid ive bricked the bird as well!

Hello
When you craft is on, and in the app, are you seeing satellite lock of any kind? ( or 0 sats )
Also what antenna did you use? The 4mm glonass?

Please let me know?

J Dot
:cool:

hi thanks for the reply, there is 0 sats in the app, as i posted i think ive bricked the module maybe too much heat or touching some of the other tracks with the iron. it was a 4mm that came with the black ops kit. if the module is toast would that prevent the motors from starting? can the motors fire up with no gps module?

I don't believe motors will start with a bad gps antenna or unit!

Problem is
With 4 mm antenna, the PIN is larger than stock 2mm antenna, so when you PUSH new antenna into the hole, can damage the copper ring in the circuit board, I've done it TRUST ME! Sometimes you can fix, other times you cannot!
Now
I use razor blade to open the hole a bit, then TWIST new pin is carefully!

So
If you have a desoldering iron, solder sucker, or solder wicking cable, try to remove the solder you put on, pry up antenna ( CAREFULLY ) as not to crack ceramic antenna, use a magnifying glass to inspect the circuit board ( look for the tiny copper ring, or tail from it if it broke off ) if the ring is gone and no tail left, replace gps unit! If the ring is there, or at least a tail to solder to, thentry to solder again, might have to drag solder to tail piece for proper connection! Hope this helps!

I hope you understand, if not contact me, I'll explain better!

J Dot
:cool:

Ps
Most DJI solder has a melting point of 350 degrees, bigger solder joints ( motor leads, power leads, run 425-450 degrees!;)

thanks for the detailed response! yes i do think the copper ring is damaged or has been broken off. i tried resoldering 3 times to no avail so the board is probably gone. so i have found a replacement on ebay so when it arrives and i plug it in i should have working motors again? i take it even atti mode needs to use the gps module? as i said the motors not working was a big concern but if your saying they wont work if the gps module is damaged that kinda allays my fears that ive bricked the bird! thanks again for replying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31