motor screws lenghts

Reaction score
Hi,

i am selling my P3 and i want to remove my 3D printed pieces against those shells cracks. The problem is those 3D printed parts needed longer and different screws, now i have the problem that i dont know how the original screws look like after all the time. I want to sell the P3 without those 3D printed parts. I need to know the lenghts of those motor screws and those 2 screws right before the motors. I have a bunch of different screws here but they are all mixed together, i dont want to install the wrong screws.

Try starting with the shortest and see if they ‘grab’. Or insert without motors and evaluate exposed thread length with estimated need.

be careful i heard that you can f up ur motors by using the wrong screews.

Reactions: Oso
ok, i found the correct screws and screwed all in, i tightened the scews over cross but now i am a bit worried because the front motors look kind of tilted to the back, the back motors look more straight to me. I can not remember alot of stuff about the Phantom because the last time i used it was more than a year ago. I think i can remember that its normal with the tilted motors but i want to be sure before i test it. I was wondering because when i tightend the motor screws some screws could be screwed in deeper.

be careful i heard that you can f up ur motors by using the wrong screews.
You're right. We very often have people here who used screws that are too long and ruin their motors. It's often after removing prop guards and then reinserting the incorrect screws. Such a shame since it's so avoidable.

Reactions: JoBe
ok, i found the correct screws and screwed all in, i tightened the scews over cross but now i am a bit worried because the front motors look kind of tilted to the back, the back motors look more straight to me. I can not remember alot of stuff about the Phantom because the last time i used it was more than a year ago. I think i can remember that its normal with the tilted motors but i want to be sure before i test it. I was wondering because when i tightend the motor screws some screws could be screwed in deeper.
Yes, the motors should be tilted.
If some screws went in further, it's likely you've damaged the motor windings. Check first before trying to start the motors so that you don't also risk ruining you're main board.

Problem is when the screws are too long .... (guard screws without guards for example) - they can hit the windings inside motor ... destroy the lacquer insulation or even sever a winding.

The motor will still spin freely by hand as the windings are static and its the motor case that spins .. so seeing if motor turns by hand is no indication of damage at all.

Only way to find out is to power up and see if motor works when throttle advanced.

Nigel

Reactions: Aussie markD1969
You're right. We very often have people here who used screws that are too long and ruin their motors. It's often after removing prop guards and then reinserting the incorrect screws. Such a shame since it's so avoidable.
there was another one today wow why do people do this alot?

there was another one today wow why do people do this alot?

Read my post directly before yours .... some people are mislead by posts on various forums about spinning motors to check free ... which is total rubbish. The motor bell spins but the windings which are damaged are static ...

So guy fits screws, winds them in ... checks bell still turns - thinks its ok ... damage is done ...

I know the two sets of plates I rec'd for my P3S and P3P did not have any instructions or warnings about screw length ...

Nigel

Reactions: JoBe
Read my post directly before yours .... some people are mislead by posts on various forums about spinning motors to check free ... which is total rubbish. The motor bell spins but the windings which are damaged are static ...

So guy fits screws, winds them in ... checks bell still turns - thinks its ok ... damage is done ...

I know the two sets of plates I rec'd for my P3S and P3P did not have any instructions or warnings about screw length ...

Nigel
thats a pro tip thnx.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan