Motor replacement

Reaction score
I replaced a motor on P3 advanced. I am not good at soldering so I spliced the motor wires instead and shrieked wrapped the connection. I now have an ecs warning when trying to start the motors. Is my the way I spliced the wires causing me problems??? I’d appreciate any advise and help from the forum.

Thanks,

I would suggest that wires should definitely be soldered as we would not like to risk disconnect during flights.

Check the connections. I guess that ESC error was there even before you replaced the motor.

I believe the splice is your problem. I tried splicing when I replaced a motor and I had issues, the motor "chattered" when powered. Once the motor was soldered to the motherboard, no issues

Thanks so much. When the motor seized, the other 3 motors would start. Also, it was after a crash that the motor went bad. Does this give you any more info?

Them 4 motors draw a lots of amps..and a twisted connection is not going to pass the amps they need to run...practice soldering then solder them on the drone....then shrink wrap them...Good Luck !

You have inadvertently created extra work and a headache for yourself. The fly leads from the motor are a continuation of the magnet wire used to wind the field coils. Each strand within the coloured sheaths is individually insulated. You need to remove the insulation from each strand by scraping off with a sharp blade or with emery cloth. You could also immerse in a solder bath, probably not something you have available. Ensure the insulation is removed then solder together before heat shrinking. Best option would be to get another motor and re tin the pcb pads prior to sweating on (the motor leads are pre prepared for soldering to the main board.

You have inadvertently created extra work and a headache for yourself. The fly leads from the motor are a continuation of the magnet wire used to wind the field coils. Each strand within the coloured sheaths is individually insulated. You need to remove the insulation from each strand by scraping off with a sharp blade or with emery cloth. You could also immerse in a solder bath, probably not something you have available. Ensure the insulation is removed then solder together before heat shrinking. Best option would be to get another motor and re tin the pcb pads prior to sweating on (the motor leads are pre prepared for soldering to the main board.
Oh........how neat to know this bit of advice.we are all here to learn ! Thumbs UP.

Thanks so much. The help and advice people like you give to help people out is nothing less than phenomenal!!!!

A Note : when i have three wires or more that need spliced to a new set of wires.......i cut them in different places them so i dont have all the new connections all bunched UP.........they are staggered ! and the new wires are staggered to be soldered back nicely and shrink wrapped ..have ever heard of a wire splice called a western union splice ? well see the picture...its a very great way to splice two wires The greatest of success and let us know how your doing. Oh by the way PCB = Printed Circuit Board !

A western wire splice
download.jpg

Then they don't look this bundle when i stagger the cuts !

dsc-0469-600x337-19.jpg

A Note : when i have three wires or more that need spliced to a new set of wires.......i cut them in different places them so i dont have all the new connections all bunched UP.........they are staggered ! and the new wires are staggered to be soldered back nicely and shrink wrapped ..have ever heard of a wire splice called a western union splice ? well see the picture...its a very great way to splice two wires The greatest of success and let us know how your doing. Oh by the way PCB = Printed Circuit Board !

A western wire splice
View attachment 94886

Then they don't look this bundle when i stagger the cuts !

View attachment 94887
What is that cable for?

What is that cable for?
LOL.......i lifted that mess of wires off the net...dang IF i Know watts its for LOL.its just a illustration "With" thats all ...........i would Not do work like that ! Gud day.

With *.......maybe Not only me........but others would love to see a picture of the Phantom opened up pod showing the wires from the motor to the electronic Speed control (esc) and hope that you have one to post or have some bodys opened up and you can take a nice picture and post it....Thanks "with" !

Last edited:
A opened UP Phantom...with wires from motors to the electronic speed module (esm) what a lots of components in their...see the gps antenna in the top center of the shell !
DJI-Phantom.jpg

Last edited:
With*.thanks for correcting me on the "esc" as i had typed it "ecm"......and in the posted picture ^above^ are them three wires out of the motor a continuation of the motors wingdings.....the ones on the picture look fairly large and well insulated to be that tiny motor wires wingdings..and im sure U-Tube has a lots of great videos On "how To Solder' !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl