Motor Overload

Reaction score
Has anybody had the 'motor overload' message when at high altitude? I didn't think to capture a screen shot when it happened but the message also says something like, it will reduce motor speed. I went flying this weekend and got the message a couple of times. I was at about 5000ft ASL. First time was during ascent going straight up at WOT for about 30 seconds. The second time was going straight forward at WOT for maybe 10 seconds. OAT was low 30's with minimal winds. The aircraft was quite cold when I caught it so Im not sure why I got the message. I've done several high speed maneuvers in the past with much warmer weather but all at <1000ft ASL.

Props are like new and have never touched anything but air, so I don't think that is a problem.

Has anybody had the 'motor overload' message when at high altitude? I didn't think to capture a screen shot when it happened but the message also says something like, it will reduce motor speed. I went flying this weekend and got the message a couple of times. I was at about 5000ft ASL. First time was during ascent going straight up at WOT for about 30 seconds. The second time was going straight forward at WOT for maybe 10 seconds. OAT was low 30's with minimal winds. The aircraft was quite cold when I caught it so Im not sure why I got the message. I've done several high speed maneuvers in the past with much warmer weather but all at <1000ft ASL.

Props are like new and have never touched anything but air, so I don't think that is a problem.
Was it the normal "propulsion output limited" message?

You'll see a "propulsion output limited" message in DJI GO if the battery voltage gets low such as can occur sometimes during hard throttling and especially in cold weather.

Reactions: JoBe
I got some info from another post after doing a search. The message is "Motor Overloaded. Aircraft will decelerate to ensure safety". It sounds like, because of the low OAT, that the battery may have a limited output.

I have also noticed a bit of instability in hover. It will wander a little over 1 foot in any direction during hover. I will try to see if one of the motor shafts is bent. It may be causing a small error in the IMU but I dont get any IMU messages.

Reactions: Dronefishermen
Yes! How weird.... I got the "motor overload" message today too. However, I was only at about 125ft, flying in reverse and ascending. The AC was brought almost to a standstill. Tried the same manoeuvre again and it didn't reappear..

Reactions: Jack54
It would seem there is limited feedback that can be derived from the motor proper as it has no sensors.
Just 3 coils and magnets.

My first pass says they could tell current draw via the batt. and/or ESC and slippage due to the pulse sent to the coil(s) and back-EMF received thus signalling a timing or sync. issue.

Any other guesses or someone in-the-know with more info on how they define and or determine overlaod?

I fly in cold weather all the time . If I push it to max speed in sport mode for a few mins and the voltage starts to drop below 3.4 I get that warning also . I've learned to just fly it with all the sensors on to avoid this problem even though it makes it a lot slower . You're pushing it to hard maybe ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I got that error last week while ascending and reversing both at full throttle. It was also pretty cold outside. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but figured I'd mention it. Anyway, I backed off the throttle and haven't seen it since.

I got that error last week while ascending and reversing both at full throttle. It was also pretty cold outside. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but figured I'd mention it. Anyway, I backed off the throttle and haven't seen it since.
Sounds identical to my experience....

Just a tid-bit of info. If you arm the motors for takeoff with no props, the app will tell you that there is a missing prop.

I'm sure it all has to do with current sensing. Idling with no props will be much less current than with props. Especially with the initial 'buzz buzz' of initializing.

Just extra info.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Jack54 and yorlik
It would seem there is limited feedback that can be derived from the motor proper as it has no sensors.
Just 3 coils and magnets.

My first pass says they could tell current draw via the batt. and/or ESC and slippage due to the pulse sent to the coil(s) and back-EMF received thus signalling a timing or sync. issue.

Any other guesses or someone in-the-know with more info on how they define and or determine overlaod?
Watching ESC current might be how they do that. Being synchronous Motors there is no slip, so there is no timing to be measured. Just more tidbits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have receive the motor overloaded warning several times. It actually came and went a few times, even started to come up then went away before it was completely legible.

I was pushing hard to see if it would come up. I didn't experience any flight issues and did not get the battery overheating message. Once I landed the battery was pretty warm. I did run the battery down to critically low, to see if I could override the forced landing. I was able to override the forced landing by maintaining throttle up.

I wish DJI would give us the ability to cancel out of the force landing like we once had. The red X comes up, yet it is not functional (see picture). I much rather crash land on land, than softly land on water.

At this point, I am feeling like the motor overloaded message is an unintended consequence of the latest firmware being too sensitive.

I'd love to hear others input...

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• P3.png
    P3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 494

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members