"Motor Obstructed" error before a 300+ fall over water. 100% loss.

What do you think happened?

• Prop Flew Off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dirt in motor

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Bye Bye Birdy

• Something Else?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I was capturing a regatta the other day when I saw a "Motor Obstructed" warning pop up. In that same instant, my Phantom 3 started falling to the water below. I can't imagine hitting anything at that height other than a bird. However, does anyone know if a prop flying off would generate that error? Maybe something else? BTW.. one of the props in the video wasn't stained with the blood of a decapitated bird, it's just stained with mud from a bad landing.

Here are the last moments that the ipad captured.

The Flight Record was uploaded to Heatly Drones.
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Nice ending to the "event" LOL! Well played.

You mentioned about a hard landing previously... Was that recent and did it land upside down ? Sorry about the loss by the way, not a good thing at all.

You can see that there were birds around your drone. Seagulls will attract drones if they feel it's a threat. It looks like a bird strike to me.

Unless those sound effects were yours. They were spot on. Seagulls talking and then boom a collision sound then you drones tumbles. Seems like a bird hit your drone.

Reactions: BigAl07
How was the sound recorded (during flight)?

Reactions: BigAl07
Older phantom model

Yes, but...It's posted in the P3 forum.

No Phantom has ever recorded sound except for a GoPro equipped P2 which this may very well be.

Unless those sound effects were yours. They were spot on. Seagulls talking and then boom a collision sound then you drones tumbles. Seems like a bird hit your drone.

LOL I didn't have my speakers on so I had no idea there WAS sound!!

Those ssounds seem very accurate and would indicate a high probability of a Bird Strike. @OSUllivanStudios did you have eyes on the aircraft at the time of this incident? Birds close to it?

Yes, but...It's posted in the P3 forum.

No Phantom has ever recorded sound except for a GoPro equipped P2 which this may very well be.

This looks like a candidate for a bird strike, especially because of the sound track, but that's a bit suspect since this was a P3P. I would have to guess it's an artistic addition. Looking at the telemetry, this looks like prop loss:

2018-03-25_14-12-43_Standard_02.png

This is characteristic of one lost prop, and even though with a bird strike I would have expected a significant yaw response as the first sign of trouble, the motor obstructed message at 980 s is suggestive that an impact may have been the cause. Here we see the usual pitch and roll with an initial yaw CW as a CCW motor spins up and then transition to a CCW rotation due to the unbalanced torque from the 2 CW props. Looks like rear left lift was lost.

Unwrapping the Euler angles reveals the subsequent motion:

2018-03-25_14-12-43_Standard_01.png

The aircraft rolls left through 2.5 rotations and then stabilizes approximately inverted, while rotating CCW at approximately 3 rotations/second.

Reactions: OSUllivanStudios
This looks like a candidate for a bird strike, especially because of the sound track, but that's a bit suspect since this was a P3P. I would have to guess it's an artistic addition. Looking at the telemetry, this looks like prop loss:

View attachment 96867

This is characteristic of one lost prop, and even though with a bird strike I would have expected a significant yaw response as the first sign of trouble, the motor obstructed message at 980 s is suggestive that an impact may have been the cause. Here we see the usual pitch and roll with an initial yaw CW as a CCW motor spins up and then transition to a CCW rotation due to the unbalanced torque from the 2 CW props. Looks like rear left lift was lost.

View attachment 96868

The aircraft rolls left through 2.5 rotations and then stabilizes approximately inverted, while rotating CCW at approximately 3 rotations/second.

Ok, nice job. So you confirm the model type so it has to be dubbed such as equipped with some other device on-board or just ‘foley-ed’???

Ok, nice job. So you confirm the model type so it has to be dubbed unless equipped with some other device on-board???

The log indicates that it is a P3P, so no audio channel in the downlink. The event occurred at an altitude of 340 ft and a lateral distance of 850 ft from the home point, so a recording at the controller position, which appears to have been on a boat, seems unlikely to have heard that, especially in the 20 mph wind that was blowing at the time.

Reactions: OSUllivanStudios
Yea. I’ve done audio recording from a P2 NV equipped with a ‘lipstick’ style camera w/sound and can say ambient sounds are barely audible above the rotors let alone wind.

View attachment 96867

View attachment 96868

OMG wow.. thanks for taking a look at that. Most people know that the phantom 3 doesn't record audio so I figured people would get the joke. Not only did I add the drone noise but I added the seagull and of course the ending. I plan to dive for the drone this summer. I suspect that it will be missing a prop. I saw birds in the area but I have never seen a bird follow a drone up that high before. Did you run the data though excel?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl