Motor caps/covers when traveling

Reaction score
Preparing for a trip and wanted to protect the motors a little bit more in the backpack. Not sure if anyone has thought of it but wanted to share anyway.

I've been trying to figure out how to cover the motors and protect them a little bit when traveling instead of being so exposed inside the bag and can snag/catch on netting, etc inside the backback. I have empty film cases lying around and checked to see how it would fit. After cutting about 1/2 inch off the film case I found some covers for my motors!

The fit is almost perfect. A little wider than the motor so it's not snug but I could probably add some tape to the inside of the film case if I want it snug. I've attached some images. Feel free to let me know if you have suggestions to make it better. Definitely feel better about transporting my drone in a backpack. I might use it for longer term storage in my hard case as well.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg

Last edited:
You still use film? LOL. Might be difficult to locate plastic film canisters these days, but great idea anyway.

Reactions: Phantom-man
You still use film? LOL. Might be difficult to locate plastic film canisters these days, but great idea anyway.

yep. still prefer it over digital actually. the film case is about the same width as a spool of thread, or maybe some prescription pill cases.

it'll be a little harder to cut the prescription pill cases but you could probably use the spool of thread as a "cast" and just wrap some tape (electrical/masking) til you get enough and happy w/ the amount and cut to form.

i guess last resort is to just wrap about 1inch of paper in height around the motor and wrap tape around the paper til you get enough and satisfied w/ the thickness to cover the motor and the prop threads.the paper on the inside will help make it easier for you to slide off the "cap" since the tape will have adhesive on the inside.

either way...it'll be better than nothing.

Last edited:
Nice idea dude!, i printed mine, but i think yours fix better than...
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437378770.734063.jpg

Use these e27 lamp holder parts. Work a treat and they are in white and hard plastic

I cut up a set of propellers to screw on and protect the thread! But doesn't cover the motor.

Great idea mine already made a hole thru the foam in my backpack , thanks for sharing

Preparing for a trip and wanted to protect the motors a little bit more in the backpack. Not sure if anyone has thought of it but wanted to share anyway.

I've been trying to figure out how to cover the motors and protect them a little bit when traveling instead of being so exposed inside the bag and can snag/catch on netting, etc inside the backback. I have empty film cases lying around and checked to see how it would fit. After cutting about 1/2 inch off the film case I found some covers for my motors!

The fit is almost perfect. A little wider than the motor so it's not snug but I could probably add some tape to the inside of the film case if I want it snug. I've attached some images. Feel free to let me know if you have suggestions to make it better. Definitely feel better about transporting my drone in a backpack. I might use it for longer term storage in my hard case as well.
View attachment 25294 View attachment 25295 View attachment 25296 View attachment 25297 View attachment 25298 View attachment 25299

Here is an easy solution.

Great idea, but I glued a foam donut, inside thick enough to wrap around the prop screw. To hold the Cap on

Phantom Motor Covers.jpg
I just used some of those tiny paper Dixie cups. Cut them down a bit to fit. Nothing pretty, but they're easy to find, stackable and they keep the foam particles or anything from getting in the motors.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20