Moron...

That would have been a good time to introduce the drone and the hobby to the "kid". He most surely would have been interested in it had he been given the chance. In Ham Radio, we most always seek out the opportunity to introduce the hobby to the younger group. They most always have been used to video games and iPhones. To them, there is probably a whole new world that they know nothing about. Great time to respond.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

I applaud your attitude. I became interested in ham radio as a result of "electric shop" in junior high school. Got my ticket and joined the Dallas Amateur Radio Club. There were great mentors there for us young folks. One was W5JV (jumpin' varmints).

Anyway, not active any longer, but have maintained my license and not yet become a silent key. Whew!

John - K5SMG

Ham ya say..me too . :)
junior_samples_screen.png

;)

Reactions: macoman
I applaud your attitude. I became interested in ham radio as a result of "electric shop" in junior high school. Got my ticket and joined the Dallas Amateur Radio Club. There were great mentors there for us young folks. One was W5JV (jumpin' varmints).

Anyway, not active any longer, but have maintained my license and not yet become a silent key. Whew!

John - K5SMG
Hey John! Yes, it is surprising how the younger bunch can be affected by us oldies! My high school science teacher was W5ROC (SK). He had built his own airplane, his own ham station, and had so many other hobbies I am still amazed at his ability. He got me interested in everything he was into. I especially liked electronics and ham radio after listening to his stories about his experiences. He gave my my first novice test in 1962. His wife, W5ROB gave me my code test and he the written test. My call, WN5IDA arrived about 6 weeks later and I was thrilled. I sure hated to see him pass away as he was a great person. Our club, Tupelo Amateur Radio Club (MS), has been trying to attract some younger members as most of us are already retired or approaching it. I'm afraid the internet and text messaging is hurting our hobby in its own way. It is our responsibility to reverse the trend and get more young people involved.
Thanks for your comments John,
Jim
WA5TEF

Hey John! Yes, it is surprising how the younger bunch can be affected by us oldies! My high school science teacher was W5ROC (SK). He had built his own airplane, his own ham station, and had so many other hobbies I am still amazed at his ability. He got me interested in everything he was into. I especially liked electronics and ham radio after listening to his stories about his experiences. He gave my my first novice test in 1962. His wife, W5ROB gave me my code test and he the written test. My call, WN5IDA arrived about 6 weeks later and I was thrilled. I sure hated to see him pass away as he was a great person. Our club, Tupelo Amateur Radio Club (MS), has been trying to attract some younger members as most of us are already retired or approaching it. I'm afraid the internet and text messaging is hurting our hobby in its own way. It is our responsibility to reverse the trend and get more young people involved.
Thanks for your comments John,
Jim
WA5TEF

Jim,
It's a shame you lost your original call sign. You could be
W5 Inveterate Drone Addict. :eek:)

Certainly some valid points/advice here. However, I think it's important to note that I referred to this kid as a "teenager", because that was my best guess of his age (18 or 19). As it turns out, he's actually in his early 20's. He later apologized to my brother in law and said it was an immature thing to do, and understands why I was angry.

As for the moderator on here who "has camera lenses that are worth more than the Inspire 1", that's stupendous for you. For most of us, $1000 is a lot of money to invest on a "toy". If I wanted a toy drone, I'd buy a $40 Syma.

As for the moderator on here who "has camera lenses that are worth more than the Inspire 1", that's stupendous for you. For most of us, $1000 is a lot of money to invest on a "toy". If I wanted a toy drone, I'd buy a $40 Syma.

First that "moderator" has a name... Allen.

Just because we volunteer to work behind the scenes to try and keep organization and stability on the forum doesn't make us Gods or anything more than a member with additional responsibilities. As such we also happen to have opinions and occasionally share them.

Last edited:

Just because we volunteer to work behind the scenes to try and keep organization and sa\tability on the forum doesn't make us Gods or anything more than a member with additional responsibilities. As such we also happen to have opinions and occasionally share them.
Exquisite...

Reactions: Floyd

Just because we volunteer to work behind the scenes to try and keep organization and sa\tability on the forum doesn't make us Gods or anything more than a member with additional responsibilities. As such we also happen to have opinions and occasionally share them.
Bruce-ALMIGHTY-jim-carrey-85820_944_1400.jpg

Kids today in general are just punks. Caught two yesterday actually tampering with my mailbox. No reason. Just though it was funny

Seriously??? You mean you never committed such notorious crime as tampering with a mailbox...

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants

Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

Seriously??? You mean you never committed such notorious crime as tampering with a mailbox...

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants

Socrates (469–399 B.C.)
I would love to know how much of "that" I got into as a young-in. Some of them were in many many pieces afterwards LOL.

You say "notorious" sarcastically, but tampering someone's mailbox is a felony & federal offense. Kids will be kids - that's their job -- but it's also the job of adults to call them out and tell them to behave.

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94