Moron...

Reaction score
During a recent vacation to WA, I spent some time showing/helping my brother in law how to fly my P3A. I did most of this in his large (yet flat) suburban neighborhood.

Whilst flying back towards his driveway, I noticed a teenager go in to his backyard and spray his garden hose towards the sky in an attempt to hit my bird. Needless to say, this lit a fire under me.

After landing my bird, I powered it down and walked across the street to approach this young punk. Lightly put, I absolutely laid into the kid (verbally that is). I explained to him how valuable the drone was, explained how it was an FAA approved area to fly and put him in his place. I thought the poor kid was going to SOIL his pants. He was very timid, scared and shocked by my response. Needless to say, I had no more issues after this conversation.

Bottom line, don't get between a man and his expensive drone...

Last edited by a moderator:
One more reason to stay away from people... i always fly my bird in remote areas where you only can see is water or bushes. I don't really like flying in neighboring areas because you going to find all kind of weird people that dislikes drones.

One more reason to stay away from people... i always fly my bird in remote areas where you only can see is water or bushes. I don't really like flying in neighboring areas because you going to find all kind of weird people that dislikes drones.
Typically I do the same, but I wanted to demonstrate a quick flight for a family member.

......I'm glad I approached him...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: macoman
Kids today in general are just punks. Caught two yesterday actually tampering with my mailbox. No reason. Just though it was funny

Nothing new or surprising here - since we came out of the trees - there have been two areas that appear over and over again thru just about every culture - neurotic and often self-destructive ideas towards - you guessed it....sex...and flying.

Who remembers their Greek history as to what happens to gods who attempt to fly....! Why do modern people in so many cultures get their jollies shooting down birds ?

Bottom line - those of us who operate aircraft are doing something that instinctively "runs against the grain" of most humans. Keep a low profile. Remember what the signs say at the zoo..."don't annoy the animals"...! Life is too short to "sweat the small stuff"...!

In my humble opinion, if he had hit it with a mere water from a garden hose you was too low to him going over their property.

Now if it's a small parcel of land and he shoots over a fence/wall/property line as the aircraft is touching down that's a whole other story and not cool at all. Shooting straight up into the air with his water hose should not come anywhere near your aircraft.

Also think about the neighbor relations situation you could have caused by "addressing" the neighbors kid directly like that. You get to go home while your family members have to stay and live in the area. Sometimes you gotta look at the bigger picture.

I fly in neighborhoods almost every day and some days for up to 8 hours at a time and I always approach and land vertically for this very reason.

LMAO man and his expensive drone . . . . It's still a toy regardless how much we pay for it. At the end of the day it's hobby/toy grade electronics and designed almost as disposable devices. I've got camera lenses that each one could buy an Inspire2 with money left to spare.

The above are purely my own personal opinions and nothing more. We all see things from a different perspective.

There's another thought I haven't seen here yet . You jumped on another man's kid and yes a teenager is a kid . What if his dad...A Man.. had came out and jumped you , a stranger in his neighborhood for
cussing his kid . Not sure in WA but might not be the way to handle it here in the south . Not saying that kid didn't need to be addressed but
Lightly put, I absolutely laid into the kid (verbally that is)
Naaaa
And as BA just said .
The above are purely my own personal opinions and nothing more. We all see things from a different perspective.

There's another thought I haven't seen here yet . You jumped on another man's kid and yes a teenager is a kid . What if his dad...A Man.. had came out and jumped you , a stranger in his neighborhood for cussing his kid . Not sure in WA but might not be the way to handle it here in the south . Not saying that kid didn't need to be addressed but

Well said Mr. Dirk.

I can tell you for sure that if someone "verbally laid into my kid" without the courtesy of coming and knocking on my door so I could also address it.... well let's just say that wouldn't go over well at all. If my kid does something wrong it will be addressed but it needs to come through the parents otherwise you're just a bully adult picking on a kid.

Yep. Totally handled it the wrong way. You should have retaliated using the AC as a spotter.

water-balloon-launcher-300x250.jpg

Reactions: Neon Euc
Would be interested to learn how this might have played out if the child's father was the one holding the hose. In my view the child deserves a second civil conversation that includes an apology, that would make you a man.

Agreed.

What kind of garden hose can reach a drone? That kind of water pressure would be great for cleaning my deck.

In a seriousness, while I hope that my teenagers would never do so something as dumb as aim a hose at a neighbor, I would be more than a little annoyed if someone came on to my property and verbally assaulted one of my teenagers. While you get to go home with your drone, your brother-in-law still has to be a neighbor.

amen! The more remote, the better (as long as I can drive to it)

Reactions: macoman
Nothing new or surprising here - since we came out of the trees - there have been two areas that appear over and over again thru just about every culture - neurotic and often self-destructive ideas towards - you guessed it....sex...and flying.

Who remembers their Greek history as to what happens to gods who attempt to fly....! Why do modern people in so many cultures get their jollies shooting down birds ?

Bottom line - those of us who operate aircraft are doing something that instinctively "runs against the grain" of most humans. Keep a low profile. Remember what the signs say at the zoo..."don't annoy the animals"...! Life is too short to "sweat the small stuff"...!
Love it "Remember what the signs say at the zoo..."don't annoy the animals"...!" perfectly said !

That would have been a good time to introduce the drone and the hobby to the "kid". He most surely would have been interested in it had he been given the chance. In Ham Radio, we most always seek out the opportunity to introduce the hobby to the younger group. They most always have been used to video games and iPhones. To them, there is probably a whole new world that they know nothing about. Great time to respond.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr