More FAA restrictions are likely on the way...

Does anyone think/believe that the FAA will have a knee-jerk experience and implement more restrictions on pilots and hobby operators in the near future?
Why would they?
There are already regulations in place.
If someone violates existing regulations, they can be dealt with accordingly.
When other laws are broken, the authorities don't implement more restrictions.

Why would they?
I wasn't indicating that simply because someone violated 'one' regulation that the FAA will do X, Y, or Z. What I was referring to is the severity of the violation (flying over an active NFL playoff game) and its receiving national coverage, is it possible that the FAA will consider extending the No Fly Zones surrounding sports arenas during games as a result of this specific violation.

I wasn't indicating that simply because someone violated 'one' regulation that the FAA will do X, Y, or Z. What I was referring to is the severity of the violation (flying over an active NFL playoff game) and its receiving national coverage, is it possible that the FAA will consider extending the No Fly Zones surrounding sports arenas during games as a result of this specific violation.
I think they should not only consider it, they should implement it. It's too bad the DOT isn't as concerned about the safety of the people who use our roads as the FAA is concerned about the safety of all on the ground.

Reactions: Phantom Pirate
Why would they?
If the NFZ that was in place for games, didn't stop this individual, extending the NFZ wouldn't make much difference to someone with the same intent.

It would be idiotic to make it harder on everyone else for the actions of one or a few. That would be like restricting the use of cars because one terrorist ran his SUV through a parade killing people.

It wouldn't stop the next terrorist but will harm law abiding people. I could have used guns as a good example too but there are probably people here who don't like them. Most people do have cars though.

Reactions: Falcon900
Does anyone think/believe that the FAA will have a knee-jerk experience and implement more restrictions on pilots and hobby operators in the near future?

The FAA can't have "knee jerk" reactions.

All new FAA regulations must go through the Congress/NPRM/Comment/Final Rule process. And actually, the FAA is quite pleased with how the UAS community reacted to this infraction. It showed them that this community cares about safety and doesn't put up with idiots acting like this.

No new regs will come out of this. At all.

The FAA can't have "knee jerk" reactions.

All new FAA regulations must go through the Congress/NPRM/Comment/Final Rule process. And actually, the FAA is quite pleased with how the UAS community reacted to this infraction. It showed them that this community cares about safety and doesn't put up with idiots acting like this.

No new regs will come out of this. At all.
Remember I’m from the federal government and I’m here to help😎

I think they should not only consider it, they should implement it. It's too bad the DOT isn't as concerned about the safety of the people who use our roads as the FAA is concerned about the safety of all on the ground.
There is nothing wrong with the 3 mile radius of TFR’s for these events as it now stands. Why punish those that abide by the rules by making them more restrictive?

Reactions: MTO
We can only hope the FAA will see clearly on this issue. All the comments here appear to mirror those for gun laws and their use by those with no regard for the laws. The scary part of all this is that anything the FAA comes up with will have to be approved as law by the same people who would want to eliminate gun ownership because one person goes on a rampage.

There are some scary parallels in the works that could come out of this.

It's like stealing art or famous jewels. You have it but if you show anyone, you risk getting busted.

Reactions: Harleydude
HA! This guy didn't just fly OVER the stadium, he flew IN to the stadium.

I can't believe nobody was killed....LOL...

Can't wait to watch the FAA chase their tails when some hotshot FPV pilot decides to REALLY "immerse" the viewer into the "game experience."

The fact that this guy put his signature all over the video is NOT the smartest move I've seen this year. This guy is not going to be hard to find.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: MTO
HA! This guy didn't just fly OVER the stadium, he flew IN to the stadium.

I can't believe nobody was killed....LOL...

Can't wait to watch the FAA chase their tails when some hotshot FPV pilot decides to REALLY "immerse" the viewer into the "game experience."

The fact that this guy put his signature all over the video is NOT the smartest move I've seen this year. This guy is not going to be hard to find.

D
The person committed a crime, but to say you can't believe nobody was killed is an overreaction. Who has been killed by a recreational flying.
The person definitely hacked his drone to over come the NFZ. I hope he doesn't get jail time. We don't need our jails fill with non violence type people. The cost to care for a prisoner is not worth it for this idiot. Just make him pay.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Why would they?
They do this all the time, and not just considering drones. RID is basically a new law in an attempt to enforce laws that already exist and aren't enforced. If the FAA did something about the many violations that are reported, maybe there'd be fewer violations? I've actually seen a few youtube videos where a youtuber was breaking a law, the FAA gave them a friendly warning. Nothing more. I understand their reasoning for doing so, but it's not working.

The person committed a crime, but to say you can't believe nobody was killed is an overreaction. Who has been killed by a recreational flying.
The person definitely hacked his drone to over come the NFZ. I hope he doesn't get jail time. We don't need our jails fill with non violence type people. The cost to care for a prisoner is not worth it for this idiot. Just make him pay.
Big time!!!!

Jail for violent offenses where their freedom would endanger others. Adding hard labor so they are too tired to cause more trouble.

Major financial penalties for non violent crime so society does not have to pay to support them in the correctional facilities system.

Last edited:
Reactions: WV. Rootman
That's my point. Nobody is ever hurt or killed when some guy goes "rogue over a stadium," but everybody makes a big deal over it. If not for "what if" arguments they would have none at all. I would treat this like rolling stop at a stop sign. Yeah....he technically broke the law. But statistically speaking nobody was hurt or killed. In other words, in my opinion, he was WAY over-vilified.

The person definitely hacked his drone to over come the NFZ.
Yep....not hard to do and I imagine the FPV guys have to do the same to shoot in some of the locations they shoot.

I hope he doesn't get jail time.
Same here. Like I said, "rolling stop at a stop sign." Until there is ACTUAL data to support all this drone paranoia (which has been ongoing for YEARS now), "a rolling stop" is how I would treat it. I doubt if even 2% of the attendees even noticed there was drone, especially if he painted it black.

We don't need our jails fill with non violence type people.
Agreed....to a point. I want car thieves, house burglars and convenience store robbers in jail. Another conversation for another day....

The cost to care for a prisoner is not worth it for this idiot. Just make him pay.
Yep...what a rolling stop sign fine? 75 bucks? That seems fair to me for a first offense. Absolutely.

D

Last edited:
That's my point. Nobody is ever hurt or killed when some guy goes "rogue over a stadium," but everybody makes a big deal over it. If not for "what if" arguments they would have none at all. I would treat this like rolling stop at a stop sign. Yeah....he technically broke the law. But statistically speaking nobody was hurt or killed. In other words, in my opinion, he was WAY over-vilified.

Yep....not hard to do and I imagine the FPV guys have to do the same to shoot in some of the locations they shoot.

Same here. Like I said, "rolling stop at a stop sign." Until there is ACTUAL data to support all this drone paranoia (which has been ongoing for YEARS now), "a rolling stop" is how I would treat it. I doubt if even 2% of the attendees even noticed there was drone, especially if he painted it black.

Agreed....to a point. I want car thieves, house burglars and convenience store robbers in jail. Another conversation for another day....

Yep...what a rolling stop sign fine? 75 bucks? That seems fair to me for a first offense. Absolutely.

D
I apologize. I have been under the weather and caring for my sick wife that I forgot about your sarcastic sense of humor. Lol.
I like it and it would be great if others would lighten up and see things for what they are. What happened to cruel and unusual punishment? I can not imagine a $20,000 fine for going through a stop sign. Shucks, 4 or5 of those tickets and I would have to stop driving.

I apologize. I have been under the weather and caring for my sick wife that I forgot about your sarcastic sense of humor. Lol.
Guilty as charged....<;^) That said, sorry to hear about your wife. I just put my mother in a home after caring for her for 2.5 years. @ 4' 10" and 110 lbs., she seems to be kicking everybody's butt down there. I told them, "Just slap her upside the head!" Of course, they won't. Violence = love in the Frank house. But I digress... I hope your wife feels better soon.

I like it and it would be great if others would lighten up and see things for what they are. What happened to cruel and unusual punishment? I can not imagine a $20,000 fine for going through a stop sign. Shucks, 4 or5 of those tickets and I would have to stop driving.
Exactly. I absolutely believe he should be punished. And I firmly believe that a scaling fine system will do the trick. I'd raise it 75 bucks for each offense. And I wouldn't count 3 batteries as 3 offenses. Dollars to doughnuts, this would be enough of a deterrent to quell the overly-exuberant drone pilots.

D

Guilty as charged....<;^) That said, sorry to hear about your wife. I just put my mother in a home after caring for her for 2.5 years. @ 4' 10" and 110 lbs., she seems to be kicking everybody's butt down there. I told them, "Just slap her upside the head!" Of course, they won't. Violence = love in the Frank house. But I digress... I hope your wife feels better soon.

Exactly. I absolutely believe he should be punished. And I firmly believe that a scaling fine system will do the trick. I'd raise it 75 bucks for each offense. And I wouldn't count 3 batteries as 3 offenses. Dollars to doughnuts, this would be enough of a deterrent to quell the overly-exuberant drone pilots.

D
Thanks for your concern. My weaknesses is seeing someone suffer. I hate to see anyone suffer. Is there anything you can do to alleviate the health care workers pain? Lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic