Presentation On sUAS To Seniors Group

Reaction score
Center City Philadelphia and Fire Island, NY
Today I gave a Power Point presentation on sUAS to a group of about 30 seniors at the William Way GLBTQ Community Center in Philadelphia. The slides included information on the current legal and regulatory status of drones as i understand it, and a series of my aerial photographs from several different missions. A Q & A session followed my slide presentation. I discussed the capabilities of my P3S, but I did not fly it indoors. There was keen interest among all who attended. Here's an outline of my presentation:

HAVE DRONE: WILL TRAVEL
What’s all the fuss about these flying toys?

Toys Vs. AircraftAnd Flying For Fun vs. Flying For Work
Any drone weighing over .55 lbs is considered an aircraft by the FAA and fully subject to appropriate FAA sUAS (small Unmanned Aircraft Systems) regulations.
Hobbyists must fly under hobbyist rules, but commercial drone pilots are subject to a different set of regulations, and they must be certified commercial or sUAS pilots.

Aircraft, not toys!
According to the FAA, a small unmanned aircraft system (sUAS), commonly known as a drone, is an aircraft without a human pilot onboard – instead, the sUAS is controlled from an operator on the ground, the REMOTE PILOT IN COMMAND.
When you fly a drone in the United States, it is your responsibility to understand and abide by the rules.

Who Owns The Air Space Above Us?
The United States has the safest and most complex airspace in the world. The FAA has authority over this airspace from the ground up, and is responsible for making sure air traffic flies smoothly and efficiently.
Anyone operating a UAS (drone) is responsible for flying within FAA guidelines and regulations. Operators should be aware of where it is and is not safe to fly.

Safety Guidelines For Hobbyists
Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:
Fly at or below 400 feet and stay away from surrounding obstacles
Keep your UAS within sight
Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
Never fly over groups of people
Never fly over stadiums or sports events
Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Understand airspace restrictions and requirements

Becoming An FAA Certified Drone Pilot
To become a pilot you must:
Be at least 16 years old
Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English (exceptions may be made if the person is unable to meet one of these requirements for a medical reason, such as hearing impairment)
Be in a physical and mental condition to safely operate a small UAS
Pass the initial aeronautical knowledge exam at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center

Drone Uses
Aerial Photography

Commercial Purposes

Flying For Fun

P1180941.JPG

IMG_7555.JPG

P1180943.JPG

DJI_0046.JPG

DJI_0095.JPG
DJI_0124.JPG

Sounds like an excellent presentation. I'm sure you did great and the attendees came away knowing a lot more than when they got there.

Thanks for working to educate and entertain.

Allen

Reactions: skeptic49

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik