Monday’s marathon declared a “no drone zone”

Would you fly your drone on your own property during the Boston Marathon?

• Yes!

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No!

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to share with the community that a “no drone zone” has been declared for the 119th running of the Boston Marathon.

“This year, we are asking the public’s cooperation in not flying drones anywhere along the course — that means over the course, over spectators, and anywhere in sight of runners or spectators. The entire course this year will be a No Drone Zone, and that extends to all types of recreational model planes and helicopters that may be out there,” Said Security Undersecretary Kurt Schwartz.

I was curious on how the community feels about this “no drone zone” being declared. While there are obvious security concerns are there any legal implications for me flying my drone on my own property during the event? I was personally excited to grab some footage of one of my favorite Boston events.

I find it very important to note that Massachusetts authorities have declared the no drone zone not the FAA. Massachusetts authorities are “asking the public’s cooperation in not flying drones” Key word there is “asking”

I am just curious to what the general consensus is on this matter,

Many thanks!

It doesn't seem unreasonable.

I have a very slight concern that some state official has carried out a risk assessment based on what he has read in the Washington/Huffington Post and banned rc models. Hopefully my concerns are unfounded.

unless your property has spectators on it or the runners pass over it I don't see how your drone over your property is going to equate to you flying over the course, spectators or the runners??? where is the crossover???

what kurt probably wants is no drones etc to be visible to create a distraction or cause for concern for the public. I can understand the ask based on recent history, I can also understand the the flip side too. it could end up like the open carry gun situations some people like to push, for 99.9% of people it isn't worth picking the fight to prove a point. the 0.1% will be the same people that moan the police didn't stop something should another tragedy occur.

Last edited:
Vinny,
All things considered, I would respect the request and not fly anything.
Too many people were caught up in the horrific outcome of the tragedy two years ago.
Unless of course you truly want to be singled out and made an example of by an over zealous member of any one of the myriad law enforcement entities that will be present during the event.

Do yourself and the RC model flying community a favor, stay grounded. Respect their wishes.

And enjoy the event and your wonderful town.

Reactions: bbfpv and dirkclod
Was nice for them to ask the public’s cooperation on this and considering all that has happened there I would comply with their wish's .
LE their will already be very uneasy as it is without having to be looking up too !
Show em a little respect and maybe they will you also ;) JMHO

Reactions: Glassman and kitari
Since it was a request I would not fly to help put the public at ease.

If I was told I could not fly on my property, then it would be war !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic