Police asked if I flew my drone over a Power Plant

DBeard said:
Consider the perspective of those wishing to keep the power plant secure. Sighting a UAS nearby, it seems prudent to ensure it is nothing nefarious. Having discovered it was innocuous a polite request was issued that you not fly over the plant. I think this was a very cool way to handle a pretty sensitive issue, personally.

Your compliance was probably key in being hassled less than usual.

I agree with this. Dude guarding the defunct power plant has a right (or obligation by his employer) to report anything that might be a security issue. The OP did the right thing by being respectful, answering the questions in a non-confrontational way and being as accurate as he could be with his answers. The police did the right thing by investigating a matter brought to them by the security guard, politely asking questions and informing the OP that the quad/drone was not welcome flying over that private property.

No matter how you look at this - it was handled well. We should all expect a certain amount of scrutiny when flying in places we haven't gotten previous permission to fly. My experience is that when it happens... merely pointing out you are a guy just enjoying a hobby and are not looking to cause anyone any inconvenience usually results in either a polite "ok have fun" or a "ok, well the property owner has asked that you stop doing this" - both answers are fair.

We've got to be careful not to turn into a bunch of people who believe its our God given right to fly anywhere we da%$ well please and to represent hobbyists as intelligent and thoughtful people, simply enjoying a pastime. :D

Wierd they ask who you work for ?? Or is that common practice in your country ?
Perhaps they wanted to make sure your employer isn't a) Al Qaeda or b) another form of power generating plant..

Probably just a department policy on all incident reports. Just call that agency to determine what information they require their officers to obtain for their reports.

It's possible that the security guard had been instructed not to respond to media inquiries (reporters). As such the drone operation might have been thought to be part of video documentation about the defunct power plant; and the public relations department would want to be prepared to respond. Many corporate factions have a public relations department and, employees are given instructions not to respond to media requests, other than to refer them to their public relations spokesmen.

In this light, the police were probably asked to inquire about the op's employment as some anticipation of possible future events. No news is good news!

-Dale-

We have an old industrial plant and the previous owners were very picky about anyone with cameras or approaching the fence. I was taking pictures of the stacks years ago from across the street in a public park when the old guy came out with an attitude.
He and his son were dismantling the place and selling anything of value off. Some of the old wooden beams were huge and went for quite a bit of money. I always suspected there attitude came from the fact they were illegally removing asbestos and getting rid of it anyway they could to save a dime. So you may never know the real reason someone doesn't want you around.
After they sold out I was actually invited by the new owners to fly the stacks with my drone.

I'm in the environmental services (mostly groundwater remediation) business and the decommissioned old plant could easily have areas of petroleum contaminated soil that is going to require cleanup and some form of EPA oversight -- in which case the owners probably would not want any news agency or environmental group flying a camera-equipped drone over their property taking detailed photos and videos of the plant (yes, even though they can be obtained via Google Earth to some extent, depending on the area). I think both the OP and the local police responded and reacted in a civil and appropriate manner. Is it LEGAL to fly a Phantom over the plant? Absolutely. Is it wise to do it? Absolutely not. It's also legal for me to stand in the middle of a golf course during a thunderstorm, but sometimes it's best to not do something even if it's legal do.

p2pv said:
Why is it that this forum is the only forum people ever report being messed with by the police flying their UAV. I call BS on most all of these claims. You can fly your UAV wherever you want. There are NO laws preventing that. Just stupid a** policies.

I own two Phantom 2's, Phantom Vision, FC40, and I just picked up a Storm Drone 6 about a week ago.

All my DJI UAV's have well over 400 flights combined. The newly acquired Storm 6 has 20 flights on it. I have flown them in every possible situation accept bad weather. Public land. Private property. I have never had a problem with the police or anyone. Memorial Park in Houston, Texas July 4th. I flew my P2 three feet from a police car and hovered above it, beside it, and flew all around it. The officer smiled and drove off. There aren't any laws here in Texas, (yet).

The only time I was approached by the police, "how much and where can I get one? Thanks, enjoy your day. Thanks, you too officer."

I think some people just need or want some attention. These type of post, "like this one I'm responding to and my own reply are useless." You all should just delete them.

Why post about my experience in this forum? I thought I might get more informed responses than posting it in a Hello Kitty forum. And for the most part I was right.

Since you've never had a problem with the police, that means everyone else's claims are BS? Sorry for not seeing your logic there.

I want to post this video but am the type who will think it through first.

I've had at least two positive experiences with police as well. The cops I dealt with Sunday were professional and friendly. I respect them and they way they do their jobs.

As for the security guard at the plant, if my job was to guard a power plant and a drone came over the perimeter, I would be calling someone, perhaps a superior or the police.

Everyone here acted the way they should have.

I remember Tom Zebra's video where he was asked to stop flying over a US Navy warship. Instead of complying, he chose to escalate and went home without his Phantom. The police were professional throughout.

Mr. Zebra struck me as the type of person I do not want representing the hobby.

If anyone knows where to find any laws, rules, policies, etc. about flying over power plants, live or defunct, please post. I didn't see anything in the municipal code but I'm not sure if I know how to read the language of the people who govern us.

I'm glad my drones are home and have more flights ahead of them.

Thank you all who contributed to this thread.

Clipper707 said:
p2pv said:
Why is it that this forum is the only forum people ever report being messed with by the police flying their UAV. I call BS on most all of these claims. You can fly your UAV wherever you want. There are NO laws preventing that. Just stupid a** policies.

I own two Phantom 2's, Phantom Vision, FC40, and I just picked up a Storm Drone 6 about a week ago.

All my DJI UAV's have well over 400 flights combined. The newly acquired Storm 6 has 20 flights on it. I have flown them in every possible situation accept bad weather. Public land. Private property. I have never had a problem with the police or anyone. Memorial Park in Houston, Texas July 4th. I flew my P2 three feet from a police car and hovered above it, beside it, and flew all around it. The officer smiled and drove off. There aren't any laws here in Texas, (yet).

The only time I was approached by the police, "how much and where can I get one? Thanks, enjoy your day. Thanks, you too officer."

I think some people just need or want some attention. These type of post, "like this one I'm responding to and my own reply are useless." You all should just delete them.

Why post about my experience in this forum? I thought I might get more informed responses than posting it in a Hello Kitty forum. And for the most part I was right.

Since you've never had a problem with the police, that means everyone else's claims are BS? Sorry for not seeing your logic there.

I posted my opinion about your experience because you posted your experience on an open forum wanting opinions/response from others. I'm sorry you didn't like what I had to say.

I'm sure there are people out there including yourself that have had a run in with the police. Some of the stories I've read on this particular forum are just stupid. Then you read the next one and it's a one up story from the last one.

It really doesn't do the hobby any good to post stories about the police. Good or bad. That's just my opinion.

The security guard is just being a prick. He probably thinks he is guarding some top secret stuff inside an obsolete powerplant.

But doesn't the private property owner have some sort of right to ask you to not fly (particularly at a low level) over their property?

But doesn't the private property owner have some sort of right to ask you to not fly (particularly at a low level) over their property?

I think a private property owner has the right to ask and I, as a drone operator, have an obligation respect that request, at a low level. I also feel an obligation to the rest of the responsible drone community to not be that guy who makes the news.

I have no reservations flying high over other people's properties, but a low-level hovering over someone's backyard birthday party, for example, and then claiming I have a right to airspace...that's not me.

I agree. A few hundred feet is fair game. Right in their yard is not, even though it might not technically have a specific law attached to the 'action' yet... it falls under the reasonable person test.

This hysteria is funny though. I tell my friends... use 'em if you got 'em... cause in a year or so, we won't be able to fly 'em anymore because of the post 9-11 morons.

Almost never. A property owner has an easement of airspace above his/her property that allows them to use the land as it was intended. A person cannot interfere with this use. So simply flying a drone over property is legal. It just needs to be operated in a safe manner. Even then, the police would need to refer the flight to the FAA for enforcement of that law.

This thread was started a long time ago but the OP was within his right to fly over and around the building in question. The policy could not make him stop. He probably also did not need to turn over his ID or give the police any information. If he chooses to do so, that is up to him. Police need to suspect you of a certain crime in order to detain you and require ID. They usually _ask_ and this is fine. But you'd not be required to ID yourself. I'm not saying the OP should not have complied. Each person needs to decide for themselves what to do.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435230005.546477.jpg

This hysteria is funny though. I tell my friends... use 'em if you got 'em... cause in a year or so, we won't be able to fly 'em anymore because of the post 9-11 morons.
Post 9-11 morons.....really o_O

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20