Mods DELETE PLEASE

Reaction score
First real drone.
Bought a lightly used P4P with many extras. It has 30 average cycles on three batteries. Guy I bought it from was very helpful and demonstrated most flight/filming abilities.

My phone is an android 9 (pie) and was 96 percent full so I didn't let him try to hook it up with app.
Since then, I deleted many files and apps and is now at 60 percent storage used.
I did install go 4 app and register with dji site...
After much reading and videos I have decided I should probably get a dedicated phone or tablet.
If apple I think mini 4/5
If android not sure?
At this point I'm confused from info overload. I'm looking for brightest screen and known to run go 4 without issue. To whittle choices down my budget is $300 or less. I will be doing recreational flying and a good bit of filming and photos.
Don't mind used item and hoping for something that won't require lots of extras to make work with drone or editing. I also will be flying primarily in an area with no wifi and sporadic cell signal...
My budget is pretty firm as I started looking at early phantoms and ended up 1200 spent?
Thanks all

Welcome to the forum from a fellow NC'er.

You'll enjoy your P4P. It's a fine aircraft for sure.

I am an iPad fan so I'd suggest you get as much as you can afford. IIRC the Mini4 doesn't run G4 very well but let others chime in who have experience with the more budget friendly tablets.

Reactions: Ncguy
Welcome to the forum from a fellow NC'er.

You'll enjoy your P4P. It's a fine aircraft for sure.

I am an iPad fan so I'd suggest you get as much as you can afford. IIRC the Mini4 doesn't run G4 very well but let others chime in who have experience with the more budget friendly tablets.
Thanks!
Main reason I was leaning Android is $ and low cell signal here. 1 bar of 3g maybe.
Whatever I get I'd like it to be ;
7-8" screen
Wifi+cellular
Fit P4P RC without buying adapters
Brightest within budget of $300 MAX

It will be for flying only and avg. 30 minutes a month after new wears off a bit.

Reactions: BigAl07
Phantomhelp maintains a list of tablets and phones Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help. If it's a dedicated device, you really don't need cellular.
Thanks I saw that. I'm going through the list one device at a time for androids as most of them aren't linked to amazon with specs like nits and such. It is tough here as my wifi is hughes net and that means slow if at all web access.
I was hoping someone else on a $300 budget had figured out the most reliable and brightest device and would just let me know....
As far as a.dedicated device not needing cell ability. Would cell not help if I have no wifi? Isn't cell or wifi needed for me to cache maps?
Thanks again
EDIT- just looked at link provided and much better than the one I had. Same format but maybe mine was a link to older list...Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks I saw that. I'm going through the list one device at a time for androids as most of them aren't linked to amazon with specs like nits and such. It is tough here as my wifi is hughes net and that means slow if at all web access.
I was hoping someone else on a $300 budget had figured out the most reliable and brightest device and would just let me know....
As far as a.dedicated device not needing cell ability. Would cell not help if I have no wifi? Isn't cell or wifi needed for me to cache maps?
Thanks again
EDIT- just looked at link provided and much better than the one I had. Same format but maybe mine was a link to older list...Thanks
You'll need some sort of connection if you want to cache maps in the field. Personally, I know where I'm flying so I always cache the maps using my wi-fi connection at home.

I use the Nvidia Shield K1 8 inch. They are out of production but still available used in good condition for under $300. Rated at 477 NITS. Works really well when incorporating anti-glare protector and sun hood.

I also use a Huawei Mediapad M5 8 inch. Not sure about availability in the US.

I use an old Nvidia Shield K1 gaming tablet (circa 2015). Perfect for the job. I don't think it comes with cellular ability. They're surprisingly expensive on the secondhand market but should still be well within your budget. Personally, I prefer to buy used and get something better than I could otherwise afford.

You asked about cell ability and caching maps: If you're in range of a tower you can connect your tablet to your phone's cellular service via hot-spot. Sure, you'll get a faster internet connection with direct access, but it may be sufficient for your needs. I don't look at my map screen during flight, but some no doubt find it a useful tool.

Reactions: MTO and Ncguy
Woohoo!
Before I get excited
I looked up my phone's.specs and it looks pretty good to me compared to others that work. I know little about that stuff. I do know after installing go 4 app I still have 30 percent storage left out of a 32g system. It has snapdragon something and android 9 pie,
Anyway, I got controller and craft ready, entered the app and after turning on control and craft it somehowade.connecriom. Too excited.to remember what buttons O pushed. I think I tapped go fly and camera took over with all the diagnostics. I did have one message regarding object sensors. Said I should connect with Mac or other laptop to adjust something. Anyway does all this mean when I'm ready to " go for it"?

as most of them aren't linked to amazon with specs like nits and such.
Search with Google for gsmarena + the tablet name and you'll get most information for most phones/tablets.
Despite all the forum talk about maps, they really aren't much use.
I've used them just once in 6 years - the radar display is much more useful.

Reactions: MTO
In case you haven't found the manual yet, here's the manual for the P4 pro:
Thanks, I must admit I have one but have been watching videos mostly as I'm better at monkey see momkey do.
I guess in my excitement I should have just asked about my phone. It's booting up, connecting and everything says good on system other than resetting eyes.
Only 70 percent storage good...after app install? Enough elbow room?
on a 32G device?

Search with Google for gsmarena + the tablet name and you'll get most information for most phones/tablets.

Despite all the forum talk about maps, they really aren't much use.
I've used them just once in 6 years - the radar display is much more useful.
Good point. I just need to see in what direction the thing is pointing so that I can reel it in.

Thanks, I must admit I have one but have been watching videos mostly as I'm better at monkey see momkey do.
I guess in my excitement I should have just asked about my phone. It's booting up, connecting and everything says good on system other than resetting eyes.
on a 32G device?
I never record the video cache and as such have never had an issue with storage. Let the SD card store the recordings and photos. 32 G should be plenty.

on a 32G device?
The Go 4 app requires a reasonable amount of processing power to run smoothly. That should be your main concern. If the app stutters and lags in-flight you'll know you need a hardware-upgrade. The other factor of course is screen size. I'm not sure how large your phone is, but most phones would be too small for my liking.

Reactions: MTO and Ncguy
The Go 4 app requires a reasonable amount of processing power to run smoothly. That should be your main concern. If the app stutters and lags in-flight you'll know you need a hardware-upgrade. The other factor of course is screen size. I'm not sure how large your phone is, but most phones would be too small for my liking.
Here are a couple screenshots of my phone's specs. Could be bigger but my kids make fun of my big phone

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210331-185940.png
    Screenshot_20210331-185940.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot_20210331-185901.png
    Screenshot_20210331-185901.png
    273.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Screenshot_20210331-165157.png
    Screenshot_20210331-165157.png
    292.2 KB · Views: 172
Here's a consolidated spec list

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210331-191735.png
    Screenshot_20210331-191735.png
    413.5 KB · Views: 166
First real drone.
Bought a lightly used P4P with many extras. It has 30 average cycles on three batteries. Guy I bought it from was very helpful and demonstrated most flight/filming abilities.

My phone is an android 9 (pie) and was 96 percent full so I didn't let him try to hook it up with app.
Since then, I deleted many files and apps and is now at 60 percent storage used.
After much reading and videos I have decided I should probably get a dedicated phone or tablet.
If android not sure?
At this point I'm confused from info overload. I'm looking for brightest screen and known to run go 4 without issue. To whittle choices down my budget is $300 or less. I will be doing recreational flying and a good bit of filming and photos.
Don't mind used item and hoping for something that won't require lots of extras to make work with drone or editing. I also will be flying primarily in an area with no wifi and sporadic cell signal...
My budget is pretty firm as I started looking at early phantoms and ended up 1200 spent?
Thanks all
HI THERE AND WELCOME !
I MYSELF FLY MY P4 AND P3ADV. WITH MY APPLE iPad 6 AND IT WORKS BEAUTIFUL WITH BOTH GO4 AND LITCHI, SHOP AROUND, BUT DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR THESE IPAD SEEM TO OPERATE AWSOME WITH DJI GO4..
GOOD LUCK....
STEVE P

Good point. I just need to see in what direction the thing is pointing so that I can reel it in.
when mine is far enough out that I can't see what direction its pointing in, I look at what the camera is pointed at, and then rotate it until I can fly it forward, back to me.

First real drone.

If android not sure?
Thanks all
I would also think a bit more about how you plan to use it, and whether you may want to fly with other apps than the DJI Go....? Some automated mission apps only work on i0S, others better/only on Android. Others on either/both...

Not sure? (Specs on phone above in consolidated pic) ...but seems my phone is strong enough with enough elbow room after app install (dji go 4)
I can get rc and ac connected.
Here's how I have done it and what I encounter.
First I put phone in RC holder and connect phone and Rc with cable. Then I go to ap and open. It opens and after tapping equipment it shows a mavic
I change pic to a phantom pro 4 and turn on RC then power up AC. I tap enter equipment and I get " open dji go inspire 1"
I tried to change but won't so I just tap go fly after I see connected on app.
I can see on screen where camera is pointing with all diagnostics.
I do have message that says after tapping it"calibrating the vision sensor's with dji assistant on a pc or mac is recommended.
I know there are vids to help do this but could it just be that it is not sensing correct craft giving me the trouble?
Am I doing something wrong?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers