Modifications

With all the power you're running, is it FCC legal? However, I dig the idea you're trying to achieve. I wonder if it would be possible to mount a phone directly on the quad and use the 4G system for the range you need. Maybe you are too remote for that kind of coverage...

Reactions: Poursport
Not sure about the phone idea. I'll look into it though. Definitely not fcc compliant. That's why i only fly on over my own and family land with this controller.

My thought is that cellular could carry all the triggers required over a much larger area, even one without LOS. If you have 4G you could have a data path wide enough to back haul the video for FPV control at range. Maybe it is enough to have extra Low Res sensors surrounding the craft and analyzing on board for collision avoidence. Just a thought...

Tons of good ideas in this thread: This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

I know the OP eventually beat five miles. Not sure what his final max distance was. Probably something close to ten. But he is a world-class distance pilot.

Edit: Also, I don't like the looks of that cable on the left side of your second photo in the OP. It is bent at too sharp an angle IMO. If you break the back of that cable, it could potentially cause you big problems. I also am not a fan of those amps. I've read too many unfavorable reviews. I like Sunhans. MHO. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyB
I agree the cable is poorly positioned in that picture. I have now moved it. The I'd for the heads up. As for the amplifiers, I havnt had any trouble yet, but time will tell

Probably not. I was just figuring a bidirectional 5.8ghz amplifier wouldn't hurt. Maybe I'm wrong though. Please correct me if I am.

I'm defiantly going to install a 2.4ghz bidirectional amplifier birdside, because at 15,000 feet I loose my video feed, but still maintain full 5.8ghz signal.

This has been done before - I am not sure about the P3S but certainly the P2 series and the lightbridge crafts. The conclusion was it's not worth it. It's best to concentrate on the control side as far as amps go. If you want to mess around with the birdside, you might consider improving the antennas, you can get better range for the 2.4 if you do that.

The thing to remember is the connection on the 2.4 is two way. So a two way 2.4 ghz amp will improve both signals - the one coming and the one going.

The other thing is to fly correctly. You need to aim your controller perfectly and you need to position your AC perfectly as it moves towards the horizon, and you need to angle your birdside antennas perfectly relative to the forward tilt of the AC as it moves away from you.

Study what the world class distance guys do. Do what they do.

Last edited:
You are correct the 5.8 is a one way signal. But I'm unable to find a only receiving amplifier.

Neat! But why do you need a 5.8 GHz amplifier? Didn't know the P3 used that band.
Thanks for posting. That looks like fun and is interesting.
Jim
WA5TEF

New distance record for me was set yesterday, very high RF interference area. P3S running the DBS ITE-DBS01.4 panel mod, also running 27db magic power mod. My 2.5W Sunhans should be arriving today 2.4 & 5.8ghz. 3 questions moving forward:

1. Should I be looking into the dual battery mod? If so Lipos or LIHV? Also clip mod or direct connection to bird?

2. Will the bazooka style dipole antennas the FPVLR for both channels make a difference in increasing distance?

3. I just aquired a 32 foot tall HAM radio tower and was thinking of making a home base station, anybody have advice in terms of repeaters or antennas for it?

Thanks Guys!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-23-10-00-22.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-23-10-00-22.png
    2 MB · Views: 336
I once had that same disorder, had to make something more of items that I owned so that it was unique / or the best, but over the years that disorder has seemed to weaken, and does not affect me as it once did.

Looks like you are doing some interesting things in combining two hobbies together.

New distance record for me was set yesterday, very high RF interference area. P3S running the DBS ITE-DBS01.4 panel mod, also running 27db magic power mod. My 2.5W Sunhans should be arriving today 2.4 & 5.8ghz. 3 questions moving forward:

1. Should I be looking into the dual battery mod? If so Lipos or LIHV? Also clip mod or direct connection to bird?

2. Will the bazooka style dipole antennas the FPVLR for both channels make a difference in increasing distance?

3. I just aquired a 32 foot tall HAM radio tower and was thinking of making a home base station, anybody have advice in terms of repeaters or antennas for it?

Thanks Guys!

I should say the bazooka style antennas are told by Tony over atFPVLR

Attachments

• 20170917_160048.jpg
    20170917_160048.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 282
No kidding... 15,000 feet is way way too far for me... And impressive that you did it in the standard. But like larBear said... Why to go farther than that? What is your objective and the risk involved?
Too go where no drone has gone before!

Tons of good ideas in this thread: This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

I know the OP eventually beat five miles. Not sure what his final max distance was. Probably something close to ten. But he is a world-class distance pilot.

Edit: Also, I don't like the looks of that cable on the left side of your second photo in the OP. It is bent at too sharp an angle IMO. If you break the back of that cable, it could potentially cause you big problems. I also am not a fan of those amps. I've read too many unfavorable reviews. I like Sunhans. MHO. Good luck!
Great thread. That OP knows how to get out there!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20