Mission Planner (FPV Camera – iOS Waypoints App) Available Now

What are the advanced features? What would one need to buy to use for way point flying? What does the fpv ad on do?

Thanks.

Rchjr

PVFlyer,

Purchased and downloaded app this morning from iTunes. After carefully reading the instructions on your web site, I opened and became familiar with both the FPV Camera and Mission Planner portions of the app. I set up two (2) test missions, one Waypoint and one Target WP. Went to local field, prepared aircraft (P3A) and using the DJI Go app made sure everything was calibrated and set for flying. Closed that app, completely, and started FPV Camera. Followed steps to get to "FLY" tab of Mission Planner, When I pressed "Start" the checklist dialog box appeared. The first item, at least 5m or 17ft, had a small check mark next to it. The second item, "RC in F-mode" had a small "x" next to it. Even after moving the switch on the RC to "F-Mode" the "x" remained and the app would not go any further. Went back through all apps to insure controller was allowing multiple modes. Stopped and started apps several times. Shut down and restarted aircraft and controller several times. Nothing worked and would allow me to proceed beyond the point described.

What did I miss?

PVFlyer,

Purchased and downloaded app this morning from iTunes. After carefully reading the instructions on your web site, I opened and became familiar with both the FPV Camera and Mission Planner portions of the app. I set up two (2) test missions, one Waypoint and one Target WP. Went to local field, prepared aircraft (P3A) and using the DJI Go app made sure everything was calibrated and set for flying. Closed that app, completely, and started FPV Camera. Followed steps to get to "FLY" tab of Mission Planner, When I pressed "Start" the checklist dialog box appeared. The first item, at least 5m or 17ft, had a small check mark next to it. The second item, "RC in F-mode" had a small "x" next to it. Even after moving the switch on the RC to "F-Mode" the "x" remained and the app would not go any further. Went back through all apps to insure controller was allowing multiple modes. Stopped and started apps several times. Shut down and restarted aircraft and controller several times. Nothing worked and would allow me to proceed beyond the point described.

What did I miss?

I had a similar issue but I was able to bring p3p down manually then reset everything and take off again. You for sure have to flip the switch before you hit start. Hope you get it figured out.

PVFlyer,

What did I miss?
When you flip RC to F-mode, you should see F-GPS (or F-WP during WP mission) at upper-left corner as shown below. Did you see it or what did you see after flipping to F-mode on RC? Did you ever fly any WP mission in DJI GO? What firmware version are you using? I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities.

[Edit] Did you also select the proper Aircraft Type to P3A?

iTunes_MP2.jpg

Last edited:
When you flip RC to F-mode, you should see F-GPS (or F-WP during WP mission) at upper-left corner as shown below. Did you see it or what did you see after flipping to F-mode on RC? Did you ever fly any WP mission in DJI GO? What firmware version are you using? I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities.

iTunes_MP2.jpg

The upper left hand corner showed I was in "F-mode", but not F-WP as show on the graphic you included in your response.. Never flown waypoints in DJI GO. I have not upgraded firmware, but DJI Go will only tell me that I need update, not what version I currently have.

The upper left hand corner showed I was in "F-mode", but not F-WP as show on the graphic you included in your response.. Never flown waypoints in DJI GO. I have not upgraded firmware, but DJI Go will only tell me that I need update, not what version I currently have.
OIC, you need to upgrade P3 FW to the current 1.4.10 released in September.

They actually expect that people will buy the app shell for $9, which does nothing unless you shell out another $18 for the "mission planner" and another $7 for "flight log", in addition to $8 for "FPV goggles". For those that like to rent furniture and appliances, a $4 monthly rental of the entire app is the ticket. I don't mind paying about $30 for the usable app, but the convoluted way it's structured is not very straightforward.

I did try Mission planer for the first time and it worked just fine. I love it!
For the people who have problems starting the application, please don't forget: The bird should be no less than 5 meters above the ground, otherwise mission wan't start.

They actually expect that people will buy the app shell for $9, which does nothing unless you shell out another $18 for the "mission planner" and another $7 for "flight log", in addition to $8 for "FPV goggles". For those that like to rent furniture and appliances, a $4 monthly rental of the entire app is the ticket. I don't mind paying about $30 for the usable app, but the convoluted way it's structured is not very straightforward.
I think different users/pilots require different features. Many distance flyers use ONLY the Camera mode (you called it app shell) for their long range flights. You are probably not one of them. There are plenty of unique features in the Camera mode, while DJI GO and other apps lack of.
(1) Google map based navigation map with auto-bearing, auto-zoom and pilot wand. Many distance flyers rely pilot wand to aim their modded directional antenna toward the drone properly for the best signal even miles away. It always shows home/pilot points and aircraft on the map per device orientation to let pilots know the shortest way flying back home.
(2) They show battery remaining mAh, current, temperature and cell voltage of each cell on custom telemetry pane to know better about battery status and ensure sufficient battery flying back home. Many experienced pilots know well of Lipo battery behaviors, and need more battery information instead of a simple % battery level.
(3) Weak battery custom warning is crucial to warn pilots proactively in case of a weak battery cell might cause forced auto-landing even with 40-50% battery level. Many distance flyers fly over water, forced landing means drone swimming with fishes.
(4) Other handy features, such as screen recorder, Auto Recording, built-in 32 channels without hack, etc.

Each add-ons come with unique features and I wouldn't go through them one by one.

Reactions: Toddzilla
In my humble but highly accurate opinion, I think FPV Camera is the the best and most simple to use app in the market. Not only is the app very versatile, but the support is fantastic. I have been in the beta program for about 2 months and every issue I submitted was responded to very quickly. Show me an app out there that is better than this one and I'll be glad to take a look at it. You can try the app out for $4.00 monthly and if you don't like it you can cancel it, that's a no brainer for me, but I'll bet you don't cancel it. There may even be some minor bugs in it, but there are still minor bugs in the DJI Go app too. Lighten up on the criticism and look at all the positive things this app has to offer.

Last edited:
question ... Does the phantom 3 pro still record a flight log when using this app? I know this log is a must if you want DJI to help you in any way with a possible warranty issue.

question ... Does the phantom 3 pro still record a flight log when using this app? I know this log is a must if you want DJI to help you in any way with a possible warranty issue.

Your warranty does not apply if you use a third party app. warranty is only while using Go app.

Alan

Not sure if I missed it, I thought a question was asked as to once you start a mission does the Phantom require connection to the remote to continue the mission or will it continue the mission until it is finished even if signal with the remote is lost?

Thanks.

Thanks, but my question was not about warranty ... I was wondering if the phantom 3 pro still recorded a flight log.
The DJI log is not used when you switch to a third party app. It stops being recorded. When you switch back the GO app it continues. many third party apps have their own logs, and this one charges you extra for that ability. (not a value judgement but pointing that out.)

In my humble but highly accurate opinion, I think FPV Camera is the the best and most simple to use app in the market. Not only is the app very versatile, but the support is fantastic. I have been in the beta program for about 2 months and every issue I submitted was responded to very quickly. Show me an app out there that is better than this one and I'll be glad to take a look at it. You can try the app out for $4.00 monthly and if you don't like it you can cancel it, that's a no brainer for me, but I'll bet you don't cancel it. There may even be some minor bugs in it, but there are still minor bugs in the DJI Go app too. Lighten up on the criticism and look at all the positive things this app has to offer.
Couldn't agree more.......Its beyond belief how people will gripe about a few quid/dollars for an app that adds incredible functionality to your Phantom. Every home should have one (as long as you've got an iPad that is). I believe they're thinking of releasing an iPhone version too.

Not sure if I missed it, I thought a question was asked as to once you start a mission does the Phantom require connection to the remote to continue the mission or will it continue the mission until it is finished even if signal with the remote is lost?

Thanks.
It will finish the mission, just tested that today in an area where I knew I would lose rc/video and it worked perfectly. It's a brilliant bit of software, as long as you're well planned.

Reactions: PVFlyer
Thanks, but my question was not about warranty ... I was wondering if the phantom 3 pro still recorded a flight log.
There are 2 levels of flight log:
(1) App level: It's responsible by the app (DJI Go or FPV Camera) and log is stored within the app. If RF signal dropped, log would be suspended until signal recover. I'm aware DJI Go sometimes couldn't recover logging after signal dropped. Flight Log is the app level log in FPV Camera.
(2) Drone level: There is a micro-SD card near battery compartment in P3 for recording log. DJI Go probably sends a command to trigger logging together with app level log. However, SDK doesn't expose API triggering drone level log AFAIK.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl