Missing video frames when spanning video files update?

Reaction score
Just wondering if DJI have fixed the problem of losing frames between the 4Gb spanned files . Have not updated any firmware , so checking to see if anyone has checked this issue. I tried searching and found nothing recent

Just wondering if DJI have fixed the problem of losing frames between the 4Gb spanned files . Have not updated any firmware , so checking to see if anyone has checked this issue. I tried searching and found nothing recent

I'm not sure about the frame loss problem, but the 4Gb file size limit is due to the FAT32 allocation table. If you format your SD card using the exFAT allocation table you won't encounter the 4Gb limit. I've previously recorded a single file of over 20Gb on a 32Gb SD card using exFAT in my Nikon P900 camera.

Win10 will default to format an SD card of 32Gb or less in FAT32, but you can change that to exFAT in the format settings. The attached image is a 32Gb SD card which I've just formatted in both formats.

SD21exFAT32.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MTO
I'm not sure about the frame loss problem, but the 4Gb file size limit is due to the FAT32 allocation table. If you format your SD card using the exFAT allocation table you won't encounter the 4Gb limit. I've previously recorded a single file of over 20Gb on a 32Gb SD card using exFAT in my Nikon P900 camera.

Win10 will default to format an SD card of 32Gb or less in FAT32, but you can change that to exFAT in the format settings. The attached image is a 32Gb SD card which I've just formatted in both formats.

View attachment 108784
Regardless of formatting as either FAT32 or exFAT, the Phantom will still split video files at ~4GB even though the exFat format itself allows larger files.

Reactions: Zerone
Regardless of formatting as either FAT32 or exFAT, the Phantom will still split video files at ~4GB even though the exFat format itself allows larger files.

Thanks for that info. I've never created a Phantom video big enough, or detailed enough to really experience the problem. Now I understand the OP's question and was obviously looking at it from the wrong direction. My experience of larger file videos comes from experimenting with real time star trails, flower bud opening and duck egg hatching. None of which are best done with a Phantom.:)

Reactions: Oso
You should be losing data , just makes more videos

Yes that is correct. The issue I'm asking about is when DJI products split the file , it loses frames before the next file starts. It occurs with all our Phantoms and Osmo's.
I'm wondering if they had fixed the losing of frames in newer firmware.
All my other cameras Canon, etc. all split at the 4Gb limit but they don't lose any frames.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31