combining video files fast and without loss

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
I work on a Mac and never -- until now -- found an app that allows one to rapidly (without re-encoding) combine the series of 4K video files produced by a P4P (and other models) without loss or other undesirable effects. One of the most useful apps on the Mac is Quicktime 7, which checks most of the boxes for this task. It is fast and lossless, but there is a problem. Some blank frames get inserted at the seam between files. As a result, the picture briefly goes black when passing that point. This problem can be avoided with Shutter Encoder, which is fast and lossless and doesn't insert the annoying blank frames. I was more than happy to pay the $10 donation to get that very useful piece of software. As a side note, Quicktime 7 isn't compatible with the latest OS. Later versions have been dumbed down to the point of being nearly useless. For this reason, I have kept some old Macs around for video editing.

Last edited:
In order to make this work, there is an additional step. I found that, if Shutter Encoder is used to merge two videos, there are no black frames; however, there may be a brief pause, depending on the video player. With Quicktime, there is a pause when the video is played back at full speed, but there is no pause if you use the right arrow to play in slow motion (which indicates that the frames are all there). With VLC, there is no pause when the video is played back at full speed. When uploaded to YouTube, the pause is there no matter what resolution is selected. The pause problem can be eliminated by first using Shutter Encoder to extract each of the files. Then merge the extracted versions. Since there is no re-encoding, this process is fast. After going through both steps, the extracted-and-then-merged video is flawless.

If you are not able to pay the costs for professional video editing software, you are kind of stuck with what's out there for free or donations.
Devinci Resolve has a free version, that is very popular amongst the hobbyist drone community. I have never used it, but has a lot of positive reviews.

Do YouTube search for it.

If you are not able to pay the costs for professional video editing software, you are kind of stuck with what's out there for free or donations.
Devinci Resolve has a free version, that is very popular amongst the hobbyist drone community. I have never used it, but has a lot of positive reviews.

Thanks! Someone else recommended that software. I will check it out. I am more than happy to pay to support the developers of such amazing software. The costs are a pittance compared to drones and supporting hardware.

I used to use Adobe Premier Pro CS6 but refuse to pay monthly rent so I switched to Devinci Resolve when I needed something more current and powerful for 4K editing. I used the free version for a while and it did more than I needed. There was a sale on in the U.S. where, at B&H you got a Studio version (the paid version) included with the purchase of the Speed Editor. They both retaled for $295 USD so I bought the Speed Editor. I can say without a doubt that unless you are into serious artistic cinimatic creativity, the free version of Davinci Resolve will do a lot more than you will ever need. It also includes Fairlight which is some serious audio editor and Fusion for video effects. You can do some extremely serious colour correction with it also. It's a no-brainer. The free version provides at least as much as a lot of paid software offers (Black Magic's words). It's also available for both Windows and Mac. If you aren't already committed to Premier or FCP and are looking for something that will not disappoint and is free, Davinci Resolve is definitely the way to go. I am extremely happy I switched.

Reactions: BigL
Thanks! Someone else recommended that software. I will check it out. I am more than happy to pay to support the developers of such amazing software. The costs are a pittance compared to drones and supporting hardware.
Hi, I have been using Davinci Resolve for many years. It is a superb video editing software. The free version meets the needs most amateurs but if you are willing to shell out for the Studio version you get extra functionality such noise reduction - very good for rescuing footage shot in low light.
All the best, Martin

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj