Misinformation about differences between P4P and P4Pv2 on the internet

Reaction score
Hello all,

Started researching just what a potential step down the P4P is compared to the later v2 model. Other than being between 2 and 4 years older there seems to be a general consensus that the primary upgrades on the v2 are the Occusync controller, upgraded ESCs, low noise props, use of DJI Goggles wirelessly, and improved obstacle avoidance.

There is, however, apparently a lot of bad (or possibly outdated) misinformation such as:

One site says the v2 was the first model to have a mechanical shutter, which I believe began with the P4P.
Another site says the v2 has an "improved lens" and adds 4k h.265 video at 100Mbps, but I don't see any such differences in the spec sheets from DJI.
There also seems to be some discrepancies on exactly HOW the obstacle avoidance was improved. As far as I can tell both models have 5 direction obstacle avoidance (no top protection) but the v2 added infrared sensors to improve obstacle detection at increased speed and distance. Sound right?
Also read that Occusync added the 5.8Ghz range, which conflicts with another site saying both bands were available on the older Lightbridge version.
One site says the downlink video for Lightbridge is only 720p, another says 1080p. I don't know if that change would be noticeable.

I imagine that at least some of these discrepancies may be due to outdated info, specs that were increased with firmware updates.

Have I missed anything important?

As flight times and batteries seem be identical between the models I'm guessing the only improvement you get from the v2's newer ESCs are quieter operation?

Flight distance appears the same as well, other than a reduction to 720p in the downlink video is there any functional difference to the user between Lightbridge and Occusync?

Finally, what would be a fair price for a low hours P4P with only a single battery and no accessories beyond what came in the original box?

Thanks!
Ryan

Mostly correct. I would argue only with that low noise which is purely related to differently shaped propellers and nothing else.
Would like to hear P4P and P4Pv2 both with lo-no props if there is any difference in its sound. It's simply the physics. Differently shaped lo-no props. make less turbulent air flow around the tips and because they are a bit wider.

Reactions: Harleydude
If you can buy a P4P v1 with 1.3.509 craft firmware (firmware before July 2017), that's gold IMO. You can modify the flight parameters to do things that no other DJI drone can do. Search YouTube for "Phantom 4 parameters" and you can learn how. The V2 cannot do that. A fair price IMO for a P4P v1 with one battery in excellent shape is $700. With 1.3.509 firmware, $800.

I think OcuSync 2 works much better than Lightbridge, it's noticeable IMO. It does provide a better image on the iPad IMO, and the downlink feed integrity is better at long distances, less drop outs, glitches, etc. I also think OcuSync has better penetration with trees and shrubs obstructing VLOS, but I have no proof of this, it just seems to perform better, often surprising me. Ocusync also warns you with a red message when your signal is dangerously weak, giving you time to STOP and adjust things, ascend, or turn around and come home. In addition to the warning, with OcuSync the video feed will get fuzzy at that time time, giving you another signal to STOP and assess the situation. With Lightbridge you don't get those warnings. You simply lose signal and it disconnected to initiate auto RTH. When the craft gets back within range you can disengage the RTH and continue flying. So there are pluses and minuses to each craft.

Yes, they both have mechanical shutters for photos, not video. They both support 4K@60FPS.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot. I would buy it for around $800 to $1000 depends on how it has been used and if no crashes.

Reactions: scubaddictions
Just sold a few no/low hr P4P v1. 1 batt
1: $695 Classifieds here
2: $795 Craigslist
3: $1145 EBay (with screen and case)
4: $Priceless Mine

V2 is nice but not worth stepping up if you have a v1. Way better price too.

Just wanted to add that the V2 has a microswitch in the battery bay that warns of a loose or improperly inserted battery. The V1 does not have this feature.

Mostly correct. I would argue only with that low noise which is purely related to differently shaped propellers and nothing else.

That being the case, is it fair to say that the "improved ESCs" aren't really of any functional value to the user?

If you can buy a P4P v1 with 1.3.509 craft firmware (firmware before July 2017), that's gold IMO.

I'll keep an eye out for it. If I did manage to find a P4P with the early firmware I'd imagine that it would be worth preserving. How "insidious" is DJI about forcing a firmware update? Would I need to use it with a phone/tablet that literally never sees the internet or is enough to disable auto-updates within the app? Do you also need to find/install a vintage DJI Go 4 app APK? I don't have any experience in avoiding a firmware push.

My backup P4P has the older firmware with GEO zones disabled after a problem with an unlock flying a stockpile on New Year’s Day a few years ago. (Have never had to use it for that since, DJI has the unlock process working well now.)

No problems flying it with the current version of GO4, DroneDeploy, etc., on a cellular connected iPad Mini 5. The only annoyance is the message about the firmware mismatch with the batteries, but no flight problems.

I'll keep an eye out for it. If I did manage to find a P4P with the early firmware I'd imagine that it would be worth preserving. How "insidious" is DJI about forcing a firmware update? Would I need to use it with a phone/tablet that literally never sees the internet or is enough to disable auto-updates within the app? Do you also need to find/install a vintage DJI Go 4 app APK? I don't have any experience in avoiding a firmware push.

v2 is noticeably quieter than v1.different escs, different props.slightly more flight time due to different escs.occusync is miles ahead of lightbridge, where mavic pro strugles to get the signal, p4v2 has rock solid 1080p video feed.other than that, pretty much the same craft, escpecially regarding the camera

v2 is noticeably quieter than v1.different escs, different props.slightly more flight time due to different escs.occusync is miles ahead of lightbridge, where mavic pro strugles to get the signal, p4v2 has rock solid 1080p video feed.other than that, pretty much the same craft, escpecially regarding the camera

You're the first person who's said there's a significant difference in signal between the two technologies. This site, in fact, says there's almost no difference in real world tests:

DJI OcuSync vs. DJI Lightbridge - What’s the difference? - DroneDJ

Also, from what I gather the Mavic Pro has the same Ocusync as the P4Pv2.

You're the first person who's said there's a significant difference in signal between the two technologies. This site, in fact, says there's almost no difference in real world tests:

DJI OcuSync vs. DJI Lightbridge - What’s the difference? - DroneDJ

Also, from what I gather the Mavic Pro has the same Ocusync as the P4Pv2.

mavic pro uses occusync v1, p4prov2 uses v2.the stability of the signal in rural enviroments is significantly better.my bad, regarding lightbridge for mavic, but p4prov1 uses lightbridge 2.but still, in real situtation I had much better results with p4v2.and also, comparing p4 v1 to v2, the noise is lower.people usually tell me, dude, phantom, its loud.no its not.and they are really surprised with the difference.

I’ve read somewhere that the V2 ESC supplies a smoother waveform to the motors supposedly improving the noise.

I’ve read somewhere that the V2 ESC supplies a smoother waveform to the motors supposedly improving the noise.
they call it FOC.it is much more smoother sinusoidal wave, reducing the noise a bit, heat, improving efficiency. low noise props are the ones responsible for lower noise

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers