Members attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Friends
I joined this forum to meet and discuss the hobby/industry with other enthusiasts and have fun away from the stressful world we
All live in.
I find a lot people posting and making snarky obnoxious comments to other members. All are allowed their opinions and some of us might be new so might ask questions or discuss subjects trivial to others.
Please this is a happy place to go so I feel people need to be more respectful to others.
Thanks for listening.
Happy flying [emoji41]
David: What you are saying, of course, is sadly true. It's a reflection of society nowadays and internet behaviour in particular. That said, this is a very good forum. And the moderators do an excellent job.

I'm someone who always treasures straightforwardness and factual accuracy. Some others, however, like to spout out opinions and beliefs.

Perhaps the best justification of the forum is a resource for drone pilots who want to learn and get help. And there are forum members who are clearly experts in one area or another.

I know this sounds glib, but there's truth in the saying "Be the change you want to see". And by contributing quality posts, such as this thread you've started, the forum rises above the banal and mundane. But, unfortunately, behaviour will sadly dip again and again for the foreseeable future simply because it's "easy" to deflect and blame/provoke others - rather than use self-honesty to reflect and change for the better.

Reactions: TheKestrel
David: What you are saying, of course, is sadly true. It's a reflection of society nowadays and internet behaviour in particular. That said, this is a very good forum. And the moderators do an excellent job.

I'm someone who always treasures straightforwardness and factual accuracy. Some others, however, like to spout out opinions and beliefs.

Perhaps the best justification of the forum is a resource for drone pilots who want to learn and get help. And there are forum members who are clearly experts in one area or another.

I know this sounds glib, but there's truth in the saying "Be the change you want to see". And by contributing quality posts, such as this thread you've started, the forum rises above the banal and mundane. But, unfortunately, behaviour will sadly dip again and again for the foreseeable future simply because it's "easy" to deflect and blame/provoke others - rather than use self-honesty to reflect and change for the better.

This is getting worse than Australian politics. C’mon Folks, share the knowledge and shelve the negativity.

Remember too that we are a people that rely on visual and auditory clues to fully understand another person. With the written word comes a greater opportunity to misread the intention of someone else's writings. The flavor of my day (so to speak) has many times made me read someone's response as snarky or mean, when they meant it to be informative. That being said, snarky behavior does exist in any forum, so I'd to thank all of you who take the time to answer my questions and help share information to make the drone community better without resorting to that behavior.

There is something called the ignore button. I've perfected the use of the ignore button after raising four kids and helping in raising fifteen grandkids and four great grandkids. That a 30 years of dealing with teenagers as an educator. It's an imaginary button I use when I realize the discussion has or is about to diminish into nothing more than personal bashing. I don't mind spirited disagreement as long as the discussion can stay on point. If you've got facts, logic and reason to support your position that's contrary to an opinion I have I'm all for hearing it and learning from.

Reactions: BigAl07
Remember too that we are a people that rely on visual and auditory clues to fully understand another person. With the written word comes a greater opportunity to misread the intention of someone else's writings. The flavor of my day (so to speak) has many times made me read someone's response as snarky or mean, when they meant it to be informative. That being said, snarky behavior does exist in any forum, so I'd to thank all of you who take the time to answer my questions and help share information to make the drone community better without resorting to that behavior.

Nothing like a Forum to get backs up !! Do the same face to face and you have a beer together.

Its very difficult to put what is in your mind into words, especially that we are an international community. Just the difference of English English to US English can be enough.

If you want to see 'real' obnoxious behaviour .... join a yachting forum !! Mention Sail vs Power and put the flak jacket on !!

Nothing like a Forum to get backs up !! Do the same face to face and you have a beer together.

Its very difficult to put what is in your mind into words, especially that we are an international community. Just the difference of English English to US English can be enough.

If you want to see 'real' obnoxious behaviour .... join a yachting forum !! Mention Sail vs Power and put the flak jacket on !!

In addition to difficulties you mention we tend to interject our interpretation of emotion into the post we read. Someone may be stern in their opinion about an issue and we interpret the stern language as them being angry where no anger exist. Sometimes the use of sarcasm doesn't go over as intended. All of these things make having a spirited discussion that doesn't degenerate into a bashing session difficult via this medium.

Hi Friends
I joined this forum to meet and discuss the hobby/industry with other enthusiasts and have fun away from the stressful world we
All live in.
I find a lot people posting and making snarky obnoxious comments to other members. All are allowed their opinions and some of us might be new so might ask questions or discuss subjects trivial to others.
Please this is a happy place to go so I feel people need to be more respectful to others.
Thanks for listening.
Happy flying [emoji41]

Well said David. I shake my head every time--which is often--I read comments/posts from haters. It is okay to disagree, but we should be respectful. Now lets see what this comment brings out lol

In addition to difficulties you mention we tend to interject our interpretation of emotion into the post we read. Someone may be stern in their opinion about an issue and we interpret the stern language as them being angry where no anger exist. Sometimes the use of sarcasm doesn't go over as intended. All of these things make having a spirited discussion that doesn't degenerate into a bashing session difficult via this medium.

Forums are terrible places for some to appoint themselves as 'Forum Police' .... self appointed experts .... and one that I often have difficulty avoiding - the cementing over time of myths and false information. It gets repeated so often and over so long - it becomes accepted 'fact' until someone comes along and says different. It then usually becomes a bad affair. The myth stays and the person who calls it out gets bombed !!

The OP is something I've commented on myself in the past, but after a very difficult week of being harassed (unfairly) on social media, about my use of drones, I'm seeing the whole thing in a different light.

The social media thing, in a nutshell, was 20+ comments on my business page, in less than 24 hours, from the same person who was stating that I was illegally flying drones, and/or operating without a license, and basically telling my photography clients (I've been a pro for over 35 years) not to use me.

This person also seems to be doing this - all of which is false, potentially libelous and potentially the basis for a law suit - in the name of an academic institute (it's under his name on FB). He's either a student or a member of staff. Anyway, the institute have been notified and so will the local press if he continues.

My complaint to Facebook fell on deaf ears, and they've already told me they are going to do nothing about it.

My point is that some people are brave when sitting at a computer, or their phones typing or speaking things that they would never dare to say to our faces. This results, sometimes, in unfair, rude or just downright stupid comments that we might not otherwise be subjected to. they say it, often, to people they don't know, or will never meet. So, like my FB Troll, they are uninformed and often downright wrong.

But, they feel protected and unassailable behind their virtual shields. And, to some extent, they are. There's not much we can do about it other than rely on the common sense of those "gate-keepers" with some consideration for their users - obviously this doesn't include Facebook - to do what they can to keep them at bay.

I've probably asked for information that is available with some searching. I do search, before I ask. If I can't find the answer, perhaps it's due to the terminology I use in the search. So I give up and ask. There is no obligation for anyone to answer, either with patience and information, or with a snarky come back. If the question irritates you, ignore it and move on. If you get a nasty response, ignore it and move on or block that responder. Why discourage people from trying to learn something? So what if it's been asked 1000 times? It doesn't take more than a moment for a seasoned member to see that and go on to another post, without any comment.

The OP is something I've commented on myself in the past, but after a very difficult week of being harassed (unfairly) on social media, about my use of drones, I'm seeing the whole thing in a different light.

The social media thing, in a nutshell, was 20+ comments on my business page, in less than 24 hours, from the same person who was stating that I was illegally flying drones, and/or operating without a license, and basically telling my photography clients (I've been a pro for over 35 years) not to use me.

This person also seems to be doing this - all of which is false, potentially libelous and potentially the basis for a law suit - in the name of an academic institute (it's under his name on FB). He's either a student or a member of staff. Anyway, the institute have been notified and so will the local press if he continues.

My complaint to Facebook fell on deaf ears, and they've already told me they are going to do nothing about it.

My point is that some people are brave when sitting at a computer, or their phones typing or speaking things that they would never dare to say to our faces. This results, sometimes, in unfair, rude or just downright stupid comments that we might not otherwise be subjected to. they say it, often, to people they don't know, or will never meet. So, like my FB Troll, they are uninformed and often downright wrong.

But, they feel protected and unassailable behind their virtual shields. And, to some extent, they are. There's not much we can do about it other than rely on the common sense of those "gate-keepers" with some consideration for their users - obviously this doesn't include Facebook - to do what they can to keep them at bay.

FB is a dangerous place. I only have friends I really know and block the rest.
Happy flying.
Good luck.
[emoji41]

I've probably asked for information that is available with some searching. I do search, before I ask. If I can't find the answer, perhaps it's due to the terminology I use in the search. So I give up and ask. There is no obligation for anyone to answer, either with patience and information, or with a snarky come back. If the question irritates you, ignore it and move on. If you get a nasty response, ignore it and move on or block that responder. Why discourage people from trying to learn something? So what if it's been asked 1000 times? It doesn't take more than a moment for a seasoned member to see that and go on to another post, without any comment.

Agree. Happy flying[emoji41]

Very well said.

We all started at the same point in this hobby/industry/career, knowing little to nothing. Some of us learned on our own through trial & error, some learned with AWESOME mentors (I fell into this category) and others have learned with structured training. Regardless of the training we all knew nothing in the beginning and had to ask questions.

Keep in mind that not everyone is Forum/Internet savvy and not everyone is able to create an effective search.

We are here to help people "where they are" regardless if they are Old School with thousands of flight hours or if they just opened the box on their first ever sUAS. This forum is a place to come get help and share experiences across the board and from around the world.

You can't "smile when you say that" in a typed comment. Glad Propsontop brought that up.

My altitude is just fine.

Not sure about some of you..............:p

FB is a dangerous place. I only have friends I really know and block the rest.
Happy flying.
Good luck.
[emoji41]
Facebook is straight up cancer. I want nothing to do with it. I'm not on Twitter, Instagram or any of those other "platforms".

Reactions: TheKestrel
I do think some trolling is necessary when cautions are made regarding drone pilots that fly way outside of local regulatory guidelines or rules. We do want to protect us all from those who abuse the law and might cause a new round of tighter restrictions. So the issue is not with trolling ... but rather than the tone of the troll. Attacking inappropriate drone piloting is OK in my mind. Attacking pilots is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31