Mechanically, how high can I go?

Be careful of wind speeds at higher altitudes. It's possible to get into a fly away situation.

I think any UAV flyer thinks at some point, How high will this baby go?
But, even at the legal limit of 400', my P3A is just a spec of white in that great big blue sky.

If you hold the down toggle it will descend faster. 400 AGL And line of slight is federal law

If you hold the down toggle it will descend faster. 400 AGL And line of slight is federal law
Max descent speed is, I believe, 3 m/s regardless of how hard you hold down the throttle stick. And to repeat- in the US, 400 ft is only the law for Part 107 pilots, for hobby fliers it is only a recommendation.

Some great answers here. But one point which hasn't been mentioned, is the drop in temperature at altitude. I'm not sure at what altitude the electronics or bearings may stop working properly, but you might want to consider it.

I've been thinking lately how high the p3a can go. And yes I know it can't go over 1600 ft because of the geofence, that was a bit sadening to find out.

However, I wonder, if say that limit wasn't existant, or was defeated, and let's just say hypothetically for some reason I'm in the middle of the ocean and planes don't exist so there is no danger, how high can a p3a go?

I figure two things mess that up, wind and a dismal ascention descention rate. Seriously I think the fc40 went faster down, but maybe that's some tipping issue countermeasure. Other than that, how would the wind affect it at 8000-10000 feet? I'm no pilot, so I have no idea.

So, without 3rd party safety concerns, how high?

What's a "geofence"?

400 feet, it's a law! Abide by the rules of the land, so we may all enjoy this hobby.
The question is technical, not legal.
I'm curious if takeoff is possible at:
"The highest capital in the world, before the domination of Tibet by China, was Lhasa, with an elevation of 12,087 feet above sea level. La Paz, the administrative and de facto capital of Bolivia, stands at an altitude of 11,913 feet above sea level."
400 feet, it's a law! Abide by the rules of the land, so we may all enjoy this hobby.

Max descent speed is, I believe, 3 m/s regardless of how hard you hold down the throttle stick. And to repeat- in the US, 400 ft is only the law for Part 107 pilots, for hobby fliers it is only a recommendation.

It will descend faster than return home on its own

I've been thinking lately how high the p3a can go. And yes I know it can't go over 1600 ft because of the geofence, that was a bit sadening to find out.

However, I wonder, if say that limit wasn't existant, or was defeated, and let's just say hypothetically for some reason I'm in the middle of the ocean and planes don't exist so there is no danger, how high can a p3a go?

I figure two things mess that up, wind and a dismal ascention descention rate. Seriously I think the fc40 went faster down, but maybe that's some tipping issue countermeasure. Other than that, how would the wind affect it at 8000-10000 feet? I'm no pilot, so I have no idea.

So, without 3rd party safety concerns, how high?
Stay at <400 AGL to keep us from more strict regulations. There are enough mavericks out there making it harder for us all; and potentially creating more prohibitive rules.

When a US registered pilot is operating in international airspace, he is bound by both the US aviation regulations (14 CFR) and ICAO Annex 2, as required by 14 CFR 91.703. It also requires compliance with MNPS and RVSM airspace rules where appropriate.

400 feet.. No need to go higher,, why go higher?
Easy - all the "drone cowboys" on YouTube who fly their toys up into clouds 5,000' or more AGL where they lose sight of it and are up where real airplanes fly want to "go higher". How else can they get their "altitude record" bragging rights?

Not coincidentally, these losers were one of the main reasons the FAA got involved and why we have the limitations on the hobby we now have.

Reactions: BuiDoi
Funny how so many people only think about going UP. A lot of my flights are in the negative direction :)
This week I've been mostly flying at -90m altitude (relative to starting point).
Any laws on how LOW you can go?

Read 107 again. 400 agl and line of sight is the law for all except for special exemptions for 107 pilots like the Medea and rail road inspection
Again, 400 ft agl is only for US Part 107 pilots. Hobby fliers are only recommended to stay below 400ft. And it's all 'height above ground'. So it doesn't matter what the msl altitude of your takeoff point is as long as you are under the service ceiling of your bird. And the 500 m max height is also relative to the takeoff point. So, if you want to take off from La Paz you could technically fly to about 13,500 ft msl (1600 ft agl). It's all relative.

Since this is a theoretical thread...because the descent is slower than the climb; could you climb until the battery is low (20% to be "safe"), CSC to descend rapidly, and then restart the motors and have it recover before hitting terra firma?
I have seen a youtube video where a phantom crashed into a water tower, slid off, and then recovered before hitting the ground. I think it might work. Theoretically speaking of course.

USA. 400 feet, why care how much further, or higher out will go if there is not intent?

I think what they mean is that anywhere in the USA, the FAA guideline is 400 ft "at ground level" for hobbyists. I like to say; "above ground level" that I am currently standing on. In other words, I can drive up a mountain that is 5000 ft high. And from that ground level I can be within the FAA guidelines and fly 400 ft above the ground level that I am standing at. So, I would technically be flying at 5400 ft. but still within the FAA guidelines.

Reactions: Yooperflyer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing