Say you were out in the dessert or the ocean how high can a phantom go?

Battery limits not withstanding, you'll get to 600 meters. That's the current limit in the firmware.
The specs call for a 6000 meter above MSL operational ceiling based on air density. YMMV.

I've set my max altitude higher than 500M within the app (I probably would never try it) but it just had me click and OK box saying that it was against FAA regulations

Will other apps let you set this higher? (e.g. Litchi or AutoPilot)

Nope.

If you're in an area that the aircraft normally considers a no-fly zone, and you have a waiver to fly there, you can contact [email protected] to have them unlock it for you. However, I don't think they have an equivalent FW process if you have a waiver for flights at more than 1640 feet AGL. (Though it would be an interesting request.)

I don't think the A3 controllers have this limitation, so the Matrices et. al. shouldn't have an issue. Or do they?

Theoretically, with limits off and the correct remote antenna orientation (stock antenna) it should go vertically a similar distance as horizontally.
Air density would cause a limit.

There is a video somewhere I've seen where a videographer records a climbing expedition with a P4 and other camera equipment.
He has video of him trying to fly it at 22,000 feet (if I recall). It only gets up about 1 ft.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Ty Durden
No. Third party apps are limited by the DJI SDK, which sets the max altitude.
If that's the case, how did this guy get up there? ...

12,467 feet (3,800 m)

If that's the case, how did this guy get up there? ...

12,467 feet (3,800 m)

Because it _claims_ to be a P4 does not make it so. I've read (and seen) plenty of stuff on the Internet that is a lie. One of the comments is from a person who claims to have seen this same video a few years ago taken with a P2.

Firmware for the past several years does not allow the Phantoms to fly higher than 500m, period.

Edit: Here is a video of a Unicorn sighting:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West