Max Wind Speeds?

Reaction score
I have never seen or flown a quadcopter; I'm thinking about blindly buying the Phantom. I already have a GoPro 3+.
Living in West Texas we commonly have winds anywhere from 7 to 30 mph. What is the maximum wind speed for an amateur to confidently and safely fly a phantom?
I see where the Phantom 2 non-vision will be available soon. Anyone know what might be added?
Thanks,
Rastus

Rastus said:
I have never seen or flown a quadcopter; I'm thinking about blindly buying the Phantom. I already have a GoPro 3+.
Living in West Texas we commonly have winds anywhere from 7 to 30 mph. What is the maximum wind speed for an amateur to confidently and safely fly a phantom?
I see where the Phantom 2 non-vision will be available soon. Anyone know what might be added?
Thanks,
Rastus

Once you can fly, I'd say 15-20 mph is about max. Phantom was my first flying machine and I can fly at those wind speeds with no issues. Stay in GPS mode and you will still be able to hover.

Rastus said:
Thanks,
Rastus

Original Phantom in stock form is stated at 10 meters/second (22 mph). In theory flying into a head wind beyond 22mph will be un-recoverable. I have flown once in 22mph winds and while it could fly, the poor little thing gets pushed around a lot. In GPS mode there is a lot of compensating so battery life is lower. Without a gimbal in that kind of wind the footage will be pretty poor but if you are just intending to do a bit of sports flying you could get good at Manual mode and use the wind to your advantage.

Either way I'd suggest maybe suggest considering either a F330 or F450 with NAZA mv2 - These can handle a 4s battery which will give you a lot more grunt against the wind!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl