Max Alt = 400', but POI = 600' How to do this?

Reaction score
I have my P4's max altitude setting at 400'. I launch along the side a small mountain (gradual incline) and the Point-of-Interest object (POI) I would like to video is on the ground but 600' higher than my launch site. Technically, the POI is only a few feet above ground level (AGV).

Will my maximum altitude keep me from reaching its height? If so, is it just a matter of increasing my max altitude setting?

Any feedback and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Yes you need to set the max height more than 600' if you can't in tease the launch site height.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That's what I thought. I'm going to try this tomorrow.

You will also need to make sure your RTH is high enough to clear the hill if you are flying behind it.
Thanks, @Meta4

It's a long, broad face of the "hill" there are a lot of antennae further up behind it. I'll be staying in front of it, maybe doing some panning, etc.

If I set my max altitude to 700' (so that the camera is pointed down at the POI), I should probably set my RTH altitude to 700' also, yes? That way, it won't try to descend to a lower RTH alt and slam into the hillside.

Or maybe not...did I read/see somewhere that if the current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, then the aircraft will not descend until it get back over the home point?

If I set my max altitude to 700' (so that the camera is pointed down at the POI), I should probably set my RTH altitude to 700' also, yes? That way, it won't try to descend to a lower RTH alt and slam into the hillside.

Or maybe not...did I read/see somewhere that if the current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, then the aircraft will not descend until it get back over the home point?

That is correct, it won't fly down to the RTH height, only up to it. If it's higher, it will stay at that altitude.

Thanks, everyone. Here's the result of all your help . . .

I launched from 940 feet (MSL) and my POI (the World Famous Hollywood Sign) is 637 feet above the launch point. I set the max altitude on my aircraft to 800 feet and my RTH height to 800 feet. At no time was I more than 400 feet AGL.

Thanks again for answering my questions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very nice! You never see that perspective when the Hollywood sign is shown on Tv or in movies. Thanks for sharing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan