Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 pro +

Reaction score
Ok I have just received my P4 Pro + and added it to my small fleet. I currently have an Inspire 2, mavic and as Mentioned P4Pro.
The question I pose:
Do I NEED both the mavic and P4P, or is the P4Pro the way to go????
Any and all help appreciated... I do have my 107 and use them commercially..
Thanks

I don't own a Mavic but I have been told (and read) the camera quality isn't as good as the P4 Pro in a few different scenarios but I guess it depends on the specific application. It also won't handle as well in higher winds and apparently you don't have the ability to change flight modes on the fly with the Mavic. I'm sure others will chime in.

Here is a great video that may help give you more information. They do specific comparisons about the Mavic Pro vs. the P4P. Starts around the 7 minute mark but would be worth checking out the entire video.

Reactions: wave7373
I'd say forget the Mavic. I just returned my Mavic and ordered the P4P. Just didn't like how fragile it was. It's really a consumer drone and awesome portability. But when you rely on your equipment for work or potential work. Something larger, more sturdy is a must. And you tend to not care about portability

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I got rid of my Mavic to just keep my p4.. video is inferior and the Mavic is very picky with its compass/GPS/IMU. Will wait for the next big thing!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm keeping my Mavic, but if I had to choose, my P4P+ is here to stay.

Ok I have just received my P4 Pro + and added it to my small fleet. I currently have an Inspire 2, mavic and as Mentioned P4Pro.
The question I pose:
Do I NEED both the mavic and P4P, or is the P4Pro the way to go????
Any and all help appreciated... I do have my 107 and use them commercially..
Thanks
Totally different things. Mavic is something between a toy and a more serious drone. Phantom 4 Pro is something between a serious drone and a professional filming drone.

Reactions: Cactus Wren
let me give you another analogy:
-mavic is the equivalent to an smart phone with a good enough camera (iPhone 7)
-P4P is like a good enough DSLR camera (Nikon D7200), it may be more cumbersome to carry around but definitely better.

so if carrying arround a carry-on suitcase or a backpack exclusively for your drone is not an issue, then you only need the P4P.

I have the P4P and Mavic.... it's an easy decision for me at least, two entirely different animals

Portability: Mavic
Better camera: P4P

Mavic video photo quality is certainly acceptable in my book, but I post mostly to Youtube etc... not doing commercials/movies ;-) I also do some building inspection and Mavic OK for that too...

When I want better video/photo, I grab the P4P

I have both P4 and the Mavic. They are completely different drones in all senses with different capabilities. If you are a traveler, backpacker, hiker the Mavic comes in handy.
We travel quite a bit domestic in the United States and Internationally, the Mavic by all means is much more easier to travel with.

When we are not traveling and I fly locally I fly the P4. The P4 handles wind much better than the Mavic, needless to say I like them both.

I have both P4 and the Mavic. They are completely different drones in all senses with different capabilities. If you are a traveler, backpacker, hiker the Mavic comes in handy.
We travel quite a bit domestic in the United States and Internationally, the Mavic by all means is much more easier to travel with.

When we are not traveling and I fly locally I fly the P4. The P4 handles wind much better than the Mavic, needless to say I like them both.
I agree with both CactusJackSlade AND ElGuapo. I have both birds and often use them interchangeably . . on the same task . . . BUT . . On a bike to remote sites . . Mavic wins (no parking issues, no parked car to garner attention, go places some hikers can't make in 1/4 of the time . . . but . . if you want precise and high quality HD video or photos, ie construction sites, some surveillance tasks or building inspections Phantom4Pro+ is better. I think they handle equally as well. Mavic is quieter for sure but P4P+ has more loiter time and a great display. . .no hood needed even in full sun . . no wires to connect and with a ministrobe slapped on with velcro I get up to a mile VLOS with either one. . . depending on conditions. They are the PERFECT combination for work, play, travel and reliability.

I have the P4P and Mavic.... it's an easy decision for me at least, two entirely different animals

Portability: Mavic
Better camera: P4P

Mavic video photo quality is certainly acceptable in my book, but I post mostly to Youtube etc... not doing commercials/movies ;-) I also do some building inspection and Mavic OK for that too...

When I want better video/photo, I grab the P4P
My set-up exactly, and for the same reasons.

Does the Mavic's portability out way the advantages of the P4P?
Not really . . . the +(plus) and camera quality is why I bought the P4
The Mavic was for the portability . . . except . . if I was not doing varied commercial and could only pick one . . I'd choose the Mavic

Last edited:
Reactions: optimiize
I've had a Mavic since November and I just got a p4p this week. I love the portability of the mavic and how it "just works". My girlfriend and I always joke about the phantom (I've had the p2 and p3p previously) pulling a "phantom". It seems like when I'm ready to fly there is always some sort of error message. That being said, the mavic camera has nothing on the p4p and ultimately that's why I fly. Mavic will go on craigslist sometime this week

Last edited:
I would just like to add another line to this topic. A question that has been asked a dozens times on the net and this forum and answered with a thousand reply.

P4P is better. Don't get the plus because an IPad mini is way better. Remember hardware isn't anything with good software.

The Mavic has some attractiveness, even in commercial use. I've exclusively been flying my P4P lately for commercial work, but I can see times that I would grab the Mavic for run and gun video (in my shaving case) when I didn't want to lug the cases back and forth. I now film for a local broadcast news outlet and the Mavic would be great to cover breaking stuff.
If the choice is simply between the two and you NEED the better camera for commercial work, this is a no brainer and you want the P4P. It is the best performing aerial camera in the sub $3-4K market and is giving the high dollar options a little run for their money.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik