Mavic Air WiFi Questions

Reaction score
Hi,
As newbie, I have a couple questions; I have an iPad that's capable of cellular service but, I do not have a data plan due to never needing it.
1) Due to needing WiFi, how much data does it take for flying?
2) If using airplane mode, would I be missing important data while flying along with distance, etc..
I'm sorry for being so oblivious about this but, If you know if there is a good video and/or read that explains all of this in detail, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks, Ray

Due to needing WiFi, how much data does it take for flying?
If you're flying with the remote controller, Wi-Fi is not used on the mobile device (since it's connected to the remote controller with a cable).

If using airplane mode, would I be missing important data while flying along with distance, etc.
No. Enabling airplane mode will allow your mobile device to run more efficiently by shutting off unneeded features (cellular, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth).

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Thanks for the helping me understand a couple of the modes. I was under the impression that WiFi is needed for optimal flying such as maps being used in real time, etc. I'm not understanding the reasons of using WiFi. Is there any in depth explanation and/or tutorial's on this? Sorry for sounding so oblivious .............. Thanks again, Ray

I was under the impression that WiFi is needed for optimal flying such as maps being used in real time
Maybe you're thinking of an Internet connection? People often connect to the Internet via a Wi-Fi network. When outdoors, many people connect to the Internet via cellular networks (since there aren't usually Wi-Fi networks nearby). And some people setup a local Wi-Fi network on a phone (a hotspot) and connect other mobile devices to that Wi-Fi network to share the phone's Internet connection.

If your mobile device is not connected to the Internet while you're flying, you'll need to cache the maps in DJI GO like this if you'd like to see them.

Maybe you're thinking of an Internet connection? People often connect to the Internet via a Wi-Fi network. When outdoors, many people connect to the Internet via cellular networks (since there aren't usually Wi-Fi networks nearby). And some people setup a local Wi-Fi network on a phone (a hotspot) and connect other mobile devices to that Wi-Fi network to share the phone's Internet connection.

If your mobile device is not connected to the Internet while you're flying, you'll need to cache the maps in DJI GO like this if you'd like to see them.

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the explanation along with the link....... Ray:)

Hi,

I am a newbie and I have a hard time wrapping my head around how drones use WiFi. So do drones use the same WiFi that you use to connect to your home internet? Or is it different? I live in a rural area and our home internet is capped at a certain data limit. So, I am just wondering if using the drone will use this data? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I just felt dumb starting a new thread for a similar question.

Hi,

I am a newbie and I have a hard time wrapping my head around how drones use WiFi. So do drones use the same WiFi that you use to connect to your home internet? Or is it different? I live in a rural area and our home internet is capped at a certain data limit. So, I am just wondering if using the drone will use this data? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!
WiFi and internet are two different things.

You do not connect to your "home internet" when you are flying your drone.

The drone (or the controller) sets up it's own WiFi connection and you connect your mobile device (phone) to that connection. This permits them to communicate with each other.

You drone will not use any of your home internet data allocation while you are flying.

The only data used would be on your mobile device if you choose to download the maps in the DJI Go 4 on a live basis (ie while you are flying).

Reactions: AndrewCCM

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl