Mavic Air Photos

Reaction score
IMG_3978.jpg

Why does it look grainy and blurry? I downloaded the picture from the SD card to an iPhone 7 Plus.

What were your settings? That would help.

No, it is most likely set to auto exposure. It's a bit too dark. You have to know a little about photography with these birds to get the best image quality. That's what they are primarily designed for. If you manually set you exposure...ie ISO/Shutter speed etc. You will get much better images.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
It all depends on lighting, background images and the scene as to how to set your exposures. Auto will generally do ok ( But not perfect) in brighter light.

What do you recommend? It seems like all the photos are like this. My phantom 4 does a better job. I just thought at least it would be sharper?

Do you always shoot with "Auto" exposure on the Phantom as well? The defaults could be different for the Mavic, but I can't say without knowing that much about the image quality of them. I can't really suggest any settings, because they will vary quite a bit from scene to scene and bright light vs low light. Generally speaking, I shoot with a 400 or 800 ISO during the day, and a faster shutter speed in bright light. But again it all depends on your subject. The lower the ISO, it tends to get grainy at times. I suspect that image was shot at ISO 100. Just a guess.

100 mbps and I thought maybe the mavic air can produce better quality without manually doing it. Someone said the phone compressed the image as a thumbnail. That if I download the original it will be better.

I doubt the compressed image will be better. The one you posted was larger than the "thumbnail" images, that I think the other party was referencing. 100mbps has nothing whatsoever to do with image quality. Not sure where you were going with that.

I doubt the compressed image will be better. The one you posted was larger than the "thumbnail" images, that I think the other party was referencing. 100mbps has nothing whatsoever to do with image quality. Not sure where you were going with that.

IMG_3977.jpg

Better?

960x720 compressed. Still grainy and looks like ISO 100. The bright sky in the background needs to be compensated for. I would suggest downloading these to a PC and look at the Meta Data to see exactly what the settings are, if you are unsure of those. Also, take a look in the app and see what your still image resolution is set to. If you are using full resolution it should be approximately 4056x3040.

No problem. These take amazing photo's when you get the settings adjusted. Happy Flying!

I don't have a Mavic Air but do have a Phantom 3 Standard and a Spark.

In ideal lighting conditions the auto setting will give you pretty good results. That being said, I usually always use manual exposure and shoot 99% of my photos at ISO 100. The more you increase the ISO the more noise you introduce into your photo (more grainy) and this becomes more apparent in lower light. I always have the histogram enabled (a graph that shows the tonal values of your image). I then adjust the shutter speed so that the graph (usually looks like a mountain) is pretty much in the centre. This usually gives me the best exposure possible. Keep in mind that the sharpness of your image is affected by other factors as well such as wind and shutter speed. The gimbal does a great job stabilizating the camera but its not perfect so any camera motion will result in a less sharp image. Also, keep in mind the limitations of the camera. It's no DSLR and is basically an action cam mounted on a drone.

As Fly Dawg said, 100mbps has nothing to do with still image quality - its the video bit rate and affects video recording.

The best way to improve your photos is to practice - try out the different camera settings and see what the results are. Learning how to use the histogram really helps with getting the best exposure possible with the equipment and lighting conditions at the time of image capture.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I don't have a Mavic Air but do have a Phantom 3 Standard and a Spark.

In ideal lighting conditions the auto setting will give you pretty good results. That being said, I usually always use manual exposure and shoot 99% of my photos at ISO 100. The more you increase the ISO the more noise you introduce into your photo (more grainy) and this becomes more apparent in lower light. I always have the histogram enabled (a graph that shows the tonal values of your image). I then adjust the shutter speed so that the graph (usually looks like a mountain) is pretty much in the centre. This usually gives me the best exposure possible. Keep in mind that the sharpness of your image is affected by other factors as well such as wind and shutter speed. The gimbal does a great job stabilizating the camera but its not perfect so any camera motion will result in a less sharp image. Also, keep in mind the limitations of the camera. It's no DSLR and is basically an action cam mounted on a drone.

As Fly Dawg said, 100mbps has nothing to do with still image quality - its the video bit rate and affects video recording.

The best way to improve your photos is to practice - try out the different camera settings and see what the results are. Learning how to use the histogram really helps with getting the best exposure possible with the equipment and lighting conditions at the time of image capture.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thank you. I am new to getting that good shot. I just flew the phantom 4 because it was fun. A lot of people said to download the original also from the SD. I will take everything into consideration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak