Mavic air none folding props

Reaction score
I wonder what’s the reason why dji didn’t put folding props on the air like they did the pro and spark. Is there a performance reason behind it or just cause they didn’t need to with the design of it. Or did they design it that way because they wanted rigid props for some reason...hmmmm. Has anybody put folding props on a phantom before and saw a performance decrease? Just wondering about the whole folding prop thing, pros and cons...

Per the Mavic Air FAQ:

"The non-foldable propellers are more streamlined, making the Mavic Air smaller and more portable when folded."

That’s why I’m wondering why they didn’t design the mavic air with them seeing how it was made to be ultra portable. I’m kinda thinking maybe the designed it that way to be more responsive and quicker and zippier...just my guess...lol

Reactions: kevin261
I like the one piece design. It's one less possible point of failure.

Reactions: ftttu and DKG13CC
For sure. And maybe that’s how they got that thing to move so quick and fast. Faster then the mavic pro. I watched videos on it and almost like a racing quad...well maybe not that fast but faster and quicker then any gps drone I’ve ever seen

If you want folding props, I have seen an article where they put the spark props on it. No change in speed, but there was a change in battery life

While possible, DJI does not recommend using Spark props on the Mavic Air.

The Spark props are a half inch shorter and have a slightly different pitch (3.0 inches vs. 3.2 inches on the Mavic Air).

Last edited:
Reactions: DKG13CC
Are the sparks props the overall same size as the air?
No, they are not. That is what he attributed to the decreased battery life.

I would think the responsiveness would be less with a folding prop vs rigid[emoji848]

Theoretically, I agree. However, how responsive do you need your aerial photography drone to be? I don't think I'd be using a Mavic Air like I would a racing drone, but it's up to you to feel the difference and see if it's major enough that the folding props aren't worth it.

Im wanting rigid props for my P4P that nod to the Platinum props with “hooks” on the ends. The sound is more “fan” and less “weed-eater” from my experience.

I saw this add for "original" folding props made specifically for the Mavic Air. Original DJI 1Pair Foldable Propeller for DJI Mavic AIR RC Drone for Sale - US$10.99 1# | Tomtop
Mavic Air Folding Props.jpg
Has anyone ever tried these props? I searched the forum but couldn't find anything about these props. Possibly because I don't know how to search very well and if it has been covered, I apologize in advance. I don't really care to start a debate over the advantages or disadvantages of rigid vs. folding props, either. Especially if it's just conjecture...

What I'm really interested in is hearing from someone who has actually tried these props on a Mavic Air. The two key points I'm interested in is noise and endurance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.