Mavic 2 Pro, or Phantom 4 Pro for a photographer?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am debating between a Mavic 2 Pro, and a Phantom 4 Pro. Can't decide which one to buy.

My main focus will be taking photos, not so much videos. I have been seeing a lot of debate between the two about which one is better, but mostly are just video related.

So what do you guys recommend?
I do travel fairly enough, but most of the traveling is done in my car, but Mavic's portability is definitely a plus since I can toss it in a backpack with my DSLR.

Any input will be highly appreciated [emoji4]

P.S: The reason I want to buy one of these is because I will love to add an aerial perspective to the landscapes I shoot.

If you are interested in seeing some of my work, check out my Instagram (nakul_kataria): www.instagram.com/nakul_kataria

Mavic 2 Pro for sure. You could fit it with your Camera etc. in your camera bag you usually take with you places. No need to have another big case with you just for your drone, especially if you are the type of photographer that likes to explore. Portability is a huge factor. Not just for a hobbyist, but a professional as well.

Mavic 2 Pro for sure. You could fit it with your Camera etc. in your camera bag you usually take with you places. No need to have another big case with you just for your drone, especially if you are the type of photographer that likes to explore. Portability is a huge factor. Not just for a hobbyist, but a professional as well.
Do you use both these drones?
And very true. I do like to go out on hikes, etc, where one needs to walk and climb.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
I definitely understand that.
It's going to be my first drone, and want to make the right purchase :)
They are both beginner friendly, as all DJI drones are, and you would probably have no problems, just make sure you watch lots of Youtube videos lol. Don't jump right in, practice in an open area and be cautious and of your surroundings. Take every step slow and don't panic. Follow the laws (not everyone does).

If you want you could get a cheaper one to start with like the Phantom 4 or Mavic pro (first one, not 2) until you become comfortable, just so you don't spend 2 grand and crash it.

They are both beginner friendly, as all DJI drones are, and you would probably have no problems, just make sure you watch lots of Youtube videos lol. Don't jump right in, practice in an open area and be cautious and of your surroundings. Take every step slow and don't panic. Follow the laws (not everyone does).

If you want you could get a cheaper one to start with like the Phantom 4 or Mavic pro (first one, not 2) until you become comfortable, just so you don't spend 2 grand and crash it.
Well I think I can probably just afford one at the moment.
I am still in college, but photography is a big hobby for me and having been wanting to add an aerial camera to the arsenal. And a cousin of mine is helping me get the drone.
So I would rather just jump straight into the drone I want. And I will get State Farm PAP to cover any mishaps.
I'll be very careful and take one step at a time when I step my feet into aerial photography.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
I had a P4P+ and sold it to get the M2P. No regrets whatever.
I shoot mainly stills and find the M2P camera better than the P4P.
P4P has an exposed (vulnerable) ribbon cable that always made me nervous.
M2P is better Iow light and has awesome hyperlight feature.
M2P is far more portable also.
Have you noticed which one gives more true to the eye colors?
Some YouTube videos I have seen of the comparison between the two, M2P seems to generate much warmer colors, vs the Phantom that looks much cooler (color temp wise). But they don't tell you what the sky and the light actually looked like?

Well I think I can probably just afford one at the moment.
I am still in college, but photography is a big hobby for me and having been wanting to add an aerial camera to the arsenal. And a cousin of mine is helping me get the drone.
So I would rather just jump straight into the drone I want. And I will get State Farm PAP to cover any mishaps.
I'll be very careful and take one step at a time when I step my feet into aerial photography.
Great choice! Let us know what you think when you do get it. :)

Have you noticed which one gives more true to the eye colors?
Some YouTube videos I have seen of the comparison between the two, M2P seems to generate much warmer colors, vs the Phantom that looks much cooler (color temp wise). But they don't tell you what the sky and the light actually looked like?
IMHO, the M2P has better color than the P4P straight from the camera.
Warmer and truer.
As I said, no regrets here.

IMHO, the M2P has better color than the P4P straight from the camera.
Warmer and truer.
As I said, no regrets here.
But is it true to the eye? I am having a hard time wording it.
Ummm. Okay, does it shoot just like what you see outside? Does that help?

I am glad you brought the Refresh up.
I was really thinking about it.
I think the refresh option is for USD 139.
Whereas State Farm PAP is USD 60/year. So $5/month.
I was thinking I will just stick with PAP.
What do you suggest?
I have never had drone insurance. I myself would not get Refresh for the reason that I don't think I would need it as I have experience (not saying things can't and won't happen). Although I always suggest that beginners get Refresh.

Reactions: katarian
I have never had drone insurance. I myself would not get Refresh for the reason that I don't think I would need it as I have experience (not saying things can't and won't happen). Although I always suggest that beginners get Refresh.
I will look into that! Thank you [emoji4]

I am glad you brought the Refresh up.
I was really thinking about it.
I think the refresh option is for USD 139.
Whereas State Farm PAP is USD 60/year. So $5/month.
I was thinking I will just stick with PAP.
What do you suggest?

The insurance covers far more for less. With State farm you file a claim and get a check to make the repair or replace it. You're also covered for total loss and theft.

DJI care is an expensive rip off in my opinion. If you fail to recover the sUAS (think lake or side of a cliff) the best you'll get is a slight discount on a replacement.

My tuppence: when the M2P came out I was momentarily thinking the unthinkable - is this the time that maybe I stick my P4P on the market and replace it with the M2P?
I live in Scotland and go hiking in the hills a lot so the M2P sounds like the perfect package. I mainly do still photos as well so went and watched a heap of videos on the M2P's camera compared to the P4P. Based on those I've decided to stick with my Phantom! There's a couple of things about the M2P that just didn't sit right with me. The M2P pictures were way too warm and there was a fair difference in the amount of detail captured. M2P's pictures were rather soft in places compared to the P4P.
The fact that two friends of mine who are professional photographers waited for the M2P to be released and then went and bought P4Ps also helped me decide...

Reactions: LARA images

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.