Mandatory update now?

Reaction score
I just saw an unnerving post on FB saying that he couldn't fly unless he updated. Anyone else confirm this? I sure hope this isn't the case now.

Got a link so we can see what you're referring to?

Don't know how to share the link. It's the phantom 4 pro users group. This was the post.

"What's up with the DJI update not allowing you to fly if there's a firmware update untill you do the update?!!
I travelled quite a distance to fly my drone just to find out I needed to update the firmware and I wasn't able to get passed that. I had no WiFi and very weak and limited data on my phone so that wasn't an option either.
Why wouldn't I be able to just fly then update when I get home like it used to be?!! This is frustrating DJI!!!!
Worst part is after the new update I now lost signal for the first time with my drone and I wasn't even flying that far. Really not pleased "

Reactions: Andy1250
It sounds like another case of someone assuming the prompt to install new firmware is a mandatory action.

Hope so. It could even be a new bird too, throwing updates at him. That's why I was asking if anyone else has seen this behavior. I've long assumed the hammer would drop eventually when it comes to dji. Here's hoping it never does.

DJI is not really into hammer dropping. They've only released a few mandatory firmware updates over the past 4-5 years. All seemed to have been mandatory since they fixed critical issues that could cause drones to drop out of the sky.

Hope so. It could even be a new bird too, throwing updates at him. That's why I was asking if anyone else has seen this behavior. I've long assumed the hammer would drop eventually when it comes to dji. Here's hoping it never does.
HI Yeh I had it,had to update,craft got locked from not doing firmware,saved picture but hardly hear of it now
20171106_194527.jpg

So I'm assuming that was a long time ago?
Yeh about half way through the year,,used to refuse to update was few issues around at time,then did the long drive to turn on and get there and p4 had solid red lights,bit annoying because these faults not across the whole board,just affected a few,still to this day a lot are on first and don't update are sweet ,......just checked date it was 6th November 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
I used DJIGo for the first time in more than a year (i use Litchi) and was locked out until I upgraded - so i force-stopped it and cleared the app's cache. Then went into flight mode (ie no wireless, data etc) and back into DJIGo. Problem solved.

I had the same thing happen to me back in February. With winter, I hadn't flown in around 2-3 months. I was getting that message and couldn't do anything. Finally after restarting a bunch of times, it went away. I am not a huge fan of updating firmware. I have had issues in the past.

I had not flown for a few months, and when I did, the screen just showed data. The wife was not working, I was flying blind and could not fly more than 100 meters.
I came home and updated the firmware and I am back to normal.

One thing I have found for certain is that dji drone gear does not like to sit unused for any serious length of time. All sorts of weird stuff happens doing that. I have found it's best to fire up the works every two or three weeks and just get it all connected. Fly the simulator. Anything to keep the system regularly running, even during long periods of downtime throughout the winter or whatever.

Wonder why when everything is shut down for a few months it causes issues when restarting ... it shouldn't do this ... is the firmware loosing it's flash??? This doesn't make sense?! And DJI-GO4 is already integrated into the PLUS controller so it shouldn't have any issues either.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94